Setting Macros?

Options
Jovicat
Jovicat Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm confused with what my calories, fats, carbs and protein should be per day?. I am at a great weight so I just want to maintain AND build that sexy muscle. I do lift weights 3-4 times per week! Everyone says eat fruit, but that can be a lot of carbs...... HELP?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would suggest reading this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
    Jovicat wrote: »
    Everyone says eat fruit, but that can be a lot of carbs...... HELP?

Are you on a low carb diet? There is nothing wrong with fruit or carbs for that matter.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    The very general rule of thumb is 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass (if you don't know your lean body mass, you can go with your goal weight).

0.35 to 0.45 grams of fat per pound of LBM.

Fill up the rest of your calories with carbs.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Here's a radical though: go by how you feel, keeping the calories within your target.

No matter how you slice the banana, you aren't going to get that much of it, because a banana has about 110kcals and, well, it adds up. Also, fats can help you to feel fuller longer. My approach is to 1) make my base diet fairly low in carbs (<40%). Then, if you have sustained exercise sessions (>30min), eat some more carbs to fuel up or replenish. In other words, if you're sedentary, keep the carbs low. If you're active, up the carbs a bit more. Set your carb level such that you feel strong overall. (Some people report feeling this way even when their carb level is ultra-low. Not true for me.)