Beginner Lifting question - Upper body exercises

Hello! I am a 26 year old woman and I've recently started lifting. My leg days are amazing. I love squats and deadlifts and always end up like I've exhausted myself, but in a good way. ( I recently squatted 55kg ).

The problem is that my upper body days are quite boring and I don't even sweat much at all. I do bench press and overhead press (front and back). I am not able to do pull-ups yet. Apart from that, I do mainly shoulder presses and lat pull downs. I'm still at 13-15 kgs at overhead press and although it is tough for me obviously, I don't sweat as much as when I squat 50kg. (My upper body seems to be weaker than my lower body)

I know I should start with rows also. But apart from rows, what else should I do on upper body days to work up a sweat and make them more exciting? Or should I just add , say, 20 minutes of cardio? Am I doing anything wrong? Please help.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    As Psu mentioned above, yes definitely would recommend following a program, that link above is great.

I feel the same way about upper though, it really bores me, even though I am working hard and pushing myself, I don't feel like I am working like I do with lower. So what worked for me, either putting my cardio days on upper days (if time permits) or following a full body program where lower and upper and mixed in, this was great because it would give my legs a bit of a break between exercises or just be a good way to add in variety.

In the end it's not about sweating or your heart beating, it is about progression over time (strength, volume, etc).
  • suriti
    suriti Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks people!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Upper body muscles are smaller and therefore tolerate less weight, expend less energy, and in general cause you sweat less.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    I am similar on upper days... Resting less in between sets and/or supersetting sets helps me. Also I've started using the row machine 15-20 minutes alternating hand positions on days I work back... That makes me sweat!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Are you following a structured program or just picking random moves? Also, sweat isnt a good indicator or work. I always sweat more on lower body days because the muscles are large and use more energy / oxygen.

ETA: if you arent following something structured, i would start with the below link.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Agree with all of the above.

What she's doing sounds a lot like StrongLifts though.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Try renegade rows.
  • Kbreezy1964
    Kbreezy1964 Posts: 10 Member
    I have found that on my upper body days, I add kettlebell Swings, 16 sets, 10 reps per set, every minute on the minute for about 20 minuets or so, It’s not necessary to sweat on your upper body day, or your lower body day to build strength or fat loss, its progressively heavier weight and volume, if you’re not working up some heat, add one or both of the veriables above until you do. It makes both fat loss and strength increase in effectiveness.
  • oyou812
    oyou812 Posts: 2 Member
    As in one reply, Upper body exercising uses smaller muscles and less weights per exercise. However, choosing the correct weight ( say 8 rep max per set with extreme effort to get that last rep), using correct form, and keeping the rest time between sets and exercises to a minimum will get you sweating “buckets” if you are pushing yourself.

I have trained with weights for over 30 years. I can attest that if you are monitoring your HR and pushing yourself, you are going to be winded and sweating just like an intense cardio session. The key is intensity. Knowing your HR and keeping your HR in the high end of your calculated MAX HR (say 65% to 70%) will be intense.

I have worn and would strongly recommend a Polar HR Monitor ( Specifically with a Chest strap sensor and watch). I have used one of this type since the mid 1990’s and I can say that no “tool” has kept me aware and focused on my intensity level as the accuracy and immediate feedback from a chest strap HR Monitor.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Rows are the only thing you're really missing, but upper body lifts in general are going to be less taxing, so it's not surprising that you don't feel as spent after an upper body day.