A question for people who have stopped drinking diet drinks

Options
12346»

Replies

• carrie1610
    carrie1610 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Definitely health benefits from not drinking diet soda- the biggest being that I crave less sugar. On the days when i would have a soda, I would invariably either eat some form of sugary 'treat,' or have to battle through intensely craving one.

Also, less stomach upset from the absence of the carbonation. That one may be more specific to me, though!

Actually, I'd have to agree with you about less stomach upset - certainly feel much less gassy! :blushing:

I still crave sugary treats, probably because I'm not having a diet coke so I want something else instead. Think I need to work on that one......
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I stopped 6 years ago, and quickly lost 5lb (sodium and caramel coloring retain water). I now drink water, sparkling water, and iced tea. My skin is better and I've saved a lot of money over these six years.
  • carrie1610
    Options

It took about 2 weeks with no Coke and that's how long it took to remove the craving. I think going cold-turkey is the best quickest way to destroy the hold of an addiction like that.. but you'd have to see how it works for your own self. Yours could be quicker or slower, i dont know. But wouldn't it be fun to try and see what you could do if you tried to lay it aside?

I'm not sure about going cold turkey. After 24+ hours I've started with an awful headache which won't shift with painkillers, but will with a diet coke - not good! So this week I'm going to try to go a bit longer between drinks. Actually, I feel rather proud of myself cutting down to one can a day.

Thanks everyone for all your words of support and encouragement. I keep looking at this thread to keep me going when I feel I'm about to give in to the curse of the soda!
  • carrie1610
    Options
    I stopped 6 years ago, and quickly lost 5lb (sodium and caramel coloring retain water). I now drink water, sparkling water, and iced tea. My skin is better and I've saved a lot of money over these six years.

Yes, I've noticed I'm saving money too which is great!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies so sorry if this is a duplicate, but if you are trying to give up a cola habit I'd suggest including something with caffeine, at least for a while. Your body will likely miss it, so you might need to wean off it.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

It took about 2 weeks with no Coke and that's how long it took to remove the craving. I think going cold-turkey is the best quickest way to destroy the hold of an addiction like that.. but you'd have to see how it works for your own self. Yours could be quicker or slower, i dont know. But wouldn't it be fun to try and see what you could do if you tried to lay it aside?

I'm not sure about going cold turkey. After 24+ hours I've started with an awful headache which won't shift with painkillers, but will with a diet coke - not good! So this week I'm going to try to go a bit longer between drinks. Actually, I feel rather proud of myself cutting down to one can a day.

Thanks everyone for all your words of support and encouragement. I keep looking at this thread to keep me going when I feel I'm about to give in to the curse of the soda!

if you cant bear the pain of cold turkey method, then wean yourself off, at a better pace for you. it may be slower but be more tolerable. Each way is better for each person depending on how they can tolerate or not or handle the detoxing as your body does without it. Coke is really as bad as drug addiction. But in any case, work toward giving it up as you can.
  • carrie1610
    Options
    Coke is really as bad as drug addiction. But in any case, work toward giving it up as you can.

Nonnymousse1 - I agree with you, it is a really bad addiction! If I could tell my younger self something, it would be not to drink sodas as one a few times a week quickly becomes a 3 or 4 times a day habit. It's worrying thinking how many young children think nothing of drinking a diet soda. I'm so glad my 11 year old doesn't like soda and has never been inclined to try any even though there's always been plenty in the house (up till now!).
  • javadazed
    javadazed Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What is fizzy water?
  • carrie1610
    Options
    What is fizzy water?

Sparkling water.
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    When I quit diet soda I lost 10 lbs fairly easily, but also it relieved joint pain I was having in my left ankle. Don't get me wrong I still have pain, but not to the point of not being able to make it up the stairs. My lower back pain diminished quite a bit as well. And don't think it was because of the weight loss because I'd been up and down those 10 lbs for years with the pain consistent in the ankle.

Now I drink A LOT of water about 128-160 ounces a day. I try to drink Diet Green Tea when I'm needing some flavor.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I significantly have reduced my intake of diet soda (or as known in Australia soft drinks) and yes it has made a difference. Im not sure whether its the fact that I now drink more water (or clear teas) but I have noticed (tmi warning) less urine flow issues and I feel better generally. More water has definitely made me feel better hydrated and helped me with my WL. I do of course still occasionally have soda, fruit juice and alcohol. But not so often as I used to. I DO seem to love diet cola when gorging on pizza (why do the unhealthiest foods taste so good together lol.)
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of diet coke. Several 44oz glasses a day and it absolutely stopped my weight loss. If I drink diet coke I will not lose weight. I knew this about myself and knew in order to get the weight loss results I wanted I would have to stop drinking diet coke after more than 25 years of it daily. I was very addicted to it. I mixed it up drinking sugar free koolaid, those fruit flavored seltzer waters, tea and basically anything calories free except diet coke. I even had ginger ale on occasion. I have been told that the clear sodas don't create the same problem.

I am now completely off Diet Coke. One of the things that helped me was I have back issues and the doctor told me that diet coke causes crystals to form in your spinal canal at the base of your spine. In addition to this Diet Coke leaches calcium out of your bones. With my back issues I can not afford this extra damage to my back. There is a very long list of the damages drinking diet coke can do to your body.

Congrats on kicking it!!! It is right up there with smoking!
  • carrie1610
    Options
    Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I just wanted to update you all. It's 2 weeks since I started trying to kick my diet coke habit and I've really managed to cut down thanks to the support and encouragement on this thread. Last week I was having one can a day, this week I've only had 4 cans in total, not full cans either!

So, it's now 48 hours since I last had any diet coke and I feel fine. Actually, I think I'm going off it now - never thought I'd say that! :smile: The positive effects I've noticed so far are less bloating and my shopping bill is a little less. No weight loss at the moment, so that's what I need to work on next..
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    ETA: (lol! double post! sorry! I thought it was like Dejavu... just saw I already posted on this! had to make sure I didn't contradict myself!)

2nd ETA: I missed your update! :laugh:

You don't have to quit the things you love!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I just wanted to update you all. It's 2 weeks since I started trying to kick my diet coke habit and I've really managed to cut down thanks to the support and encouragement on this thread. Last week I was having one can a day, this week I've only had 4 cans in total, not full cans either!

So, it's now 48 hours since I last had any diet coke and I feel fine. Actually, I think I'm going off it now - never thought I'd say that! :smile: The positive effects I've noticed so far are less bloating and my shopping bill is a little less. No weight loss at the moment, so that's what I need to work on next..

oh Good for You!

After awhile if you do have a little soda pop, it will prolly taste nasty!