Hard work not paying off

Options
2»

Replies

• maryanneericson
    maryanneericson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is me too!! I’m just going to crack down, do everything by the book, and weigh at most one time a week. Doing IF 16:8. Low carb 1200 calories and spinning 30 min most days, some strength training. If this doesn’t work, I can’t do anything else and I’m just going to have to accept a fluffier self : ) I’ve gained 10 lbs over last two years. 5’6 145 right now. 45 yo. I look fine I’m just uncomfortable with my big ole booty!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of those who said make sure your measuring and logging is tight. But, seriously, 3 weeks is way to short a time to be getting frustrated. With the amount of exercise you are doing, your body is likely retaining water for repair that is masking your true results. Also, have you taken measurements? The scale is only one data point. Take a look at this thread.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42695689#Comment_42695689
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    MFP works because the physics are sound. Like all above--measure! Don't trust exercise calorie burns--give yourself margin for error.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    marcy1blue wrote: »
    i was the same for months and recently switched the way i eat via diet doctor (not a plug was recommended to me by a friend) i was eating way too many carb foods and protein but not enough healthy fats from dairy, avo, seeds, fish etc so using macros to suit me i now fast from 7pm until 11am the next day (cups of tea help to adjust initially) then eat brunch/lunch around 11am and tea by 7pm as thats my cut off. so i have an 8 hr window to get what i need in my macros for the day, feel great walk 2 x 4-5km each day (one in my lunch break walk/jog and one after work) i was a choc lover and a snacker now i dont feel the need for either and in the last 5 days i am down 1.4kg after being the same weight for months no matter how well i ate and moved, what i was eating while it was "good" non processed food it still wasnt working for me and my body, i wasnt burning it i kept storing it or only using that for fuel not my stored fats. maybe take a good look at your ratios of protein, fat and carbs to find what suits you :)

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, period. Adjusting the types of foods a person eats can help with satiety and other factors but the scale started moving because you found a way to create a sustainable calorie deficit not because you reduced carbs or started IF.
  • AndThenIWoreIt
    AndThenIWoreIt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don’t want to insult you by suggesting that I know what you’re doing “wrong,” but here’s a little something I witnessed in the past:

I had a friend who complained that she never lost weight even though she “worked out every day.” I knew that simply meant her calories in and calories out were in balance and if she wanted to change something she’d have to change something, but she wasn’t asking for my thoughts — just venting against a cruel, cruel reality.

Then I went to work out with her, and this is what I discovered: She would talk about “spending an hour at the gym,” but it turns out that meant she pulled into the parking lot on the hour and pulled out of the parking lot an hour later. All of her meandering and locker room time and chatting and getting water time was included in this “hour at the gym,” and she seemed to think it should count somehow in the big weight-loss scheme of things.

Then I saw the workout itself — 20 minutes of slow pace on a stair stepper. Slow. Pace. Not much of a calorie burn. Mostly chatting.

Overall, if she had asked me for input, I think I could have provided some pretty helpful insight into what really works as a workout and what really helps one lose weight. But she didn’t ask, so I didn’t offer.

Again, I don’t mean to suggest that your workouts aren’t for real — but if any of this sounds familiar, it might be worth a thought.