No one talks about fat atrophy in the foot? Why?

Options
2»

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

It seems as though mine has been coming on for years now, and at this point, I've been in constant pain for the past 5 months.

The dr has me in padded orthotics, taking Advil before spin class, and icing my foot a couple of times a day. I've also used steroids for pain relief.

How come it's not talked about more openly here? I did a search; am I the only one who suffers from this?

I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I started walking, hiking and running barefoot about 4 years ago and I have noticed that the fat pads on my feet are slightly thicker and “springier”. Although I didn’t have a fat pad issue to begin with, I did have pancake flat feet and after about a year of barefooting I developed arches for the first time in my life. There are “theories that claim” that due to habitual shoe wearing, the structures of the foot are no longer stimulated to stay strong/healthy/normal since the shoes do that job for the body. It makes sense because the main reason for the atrophy of any body part is lack of use/stimulation. Of course this is simply my own anecdotal experience and you should follow the advice of your doctor. I started barefooting for other reasons, but I’ve noticed my feet are now stronger, more stable and I’m quite proud of the nice fat pads I’ve developed as a result. Always ask your doctor before attempting it though!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options

It seems as though mine has been coming on for years now, and at this point, I've been in constant pain for the past 5 months.

The dr has me in padded orthotics, taking Advil before spin class, and icing my foot a couple of times a day. I've also used steroids for pain relief.

How come it's not talked about more openly here? I did a search; am I the only one who suffers from this?

I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I started walking, hiking and running barefoot about 4 years ago and I have noticed that the fat pads on my feet are slightly thicker and “springier”. Although I didn’t have a fat pad issue to begin with, I did have pancake flat feet and after about a year of barefooting I developed arches for the first time in my life. There are “theories that claim” that due to habitual shoe wearing, the structures of the foot are no longer stimulated to stay strong/healthy/normal since the shoes do that job for the body. It makes sense because the main reason for the atrophy of any body part is lack of use/stimulation. Of course this is simply my own anecdotal experience and you should follow the advice of your doctor. I started barefooting for other reasons, but I’ve noticed my feet are now stronger, more stable and I’m quite proud of the nice fat pads I’ve developed as a result. Always ask your doctor before attempting it though!

That's interesting. Lucky you that it worked out.

I've used barefoot shoes and I think it wore away my padding. I guess it could go either way.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Updated to report that I was misdiagnosed. I have plenty of fat. Haha