Diet soda, does it really make a difference?

Options
124»

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    No! Makes no difference. Yea sure in a way of stuff they probably take Out of the drink but they have to replace it with another chemical that of course will later cause Health problems.

All soda is the same. They have BAD carbs and sugars and chems to make you CRAVE another Bad carb product. Thats just the SICK truth. (DRINK any type of SODA, you will CRAVE more SODA) diet, sugar free or whatever, its all the same.

What you need to do is get on juices instead like Gatorade or Poweraid , IF you need that taste, But I HIGHLY recommend sticking to water Water WAter. If you drink a gallon of water everyday , you NEVER have to worry about gaining "water wait" due to yuor body already consuming enough water!

friendly tips!:glasses:
    Link a site showing health problems caused by artificial sweetners. Make sure it's peer reviewed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Really? Do I need to actually show you that soda causes health problems?!?!?!

People like you are the reason anecdotal evidence and misconceptions arise. YES you have to show proof if you're making claims.

and its people like you who are already brain washed or just probably dont care what you eat or drink. I say "Really?" Because all i have to simply Google is soda & health and BAM! Nothing more to say!

Hey do me this, SHOW me a link saying where "SODA" is Beneficial and "Good" for you ok?.. then i`ll be quite :)

It doesn't work like that - you need to provide CREDIBLE information that cannot be disputed to say it is a danger to our health (it's not)

EVERYONE ENJOY s0da woOo
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke works fine, in the context of a reasonable food plan.

Diet Pepsi will kill you stone cold dead, though.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you and I mean EVERYTHING.

A bottle of Pepsi Max/Coke Zero or any other Zero or sugar free drink will NOT KILL YOU jeez.

I actually find Pepsi Max kills any cravings I have over the day. They are fine to have ignore the nonsense you hear/read.
  • tanya203
    tanya203 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Respecting other people's opinions before sharing mine isn't good enough for you? Too Bad.

Good for you for respecting differing opinions, I suppose. The point is that your opinion is irrelevant to the actual, factual, objective reality of the safety of artificial sweeteners. Pointing this out is not some attack on you personally.

Exactly. People throw out the word "opinion" when we should be talking about facts. You can't just decide that it's a fact that something isn't safe!

I didn't claim my perspective as fact. If I had I could understand the criticism, but I did not.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Respecting other people's opinions before sharing mine isn't good enough for you? Too Bad.

Good for you for respecting differing opinions, I suppose. The point is that your opinion is irrelevant to the actual, factual, objective reality of the safety of artificial sweeteners. Pointing this out is not some attack on you personally.

Exactly. People throw out the word "opinion" when we should be talking about facts. You can't just decide that it's a fact that something isn't safe!

I didn't claim my perspective as fact. If I had I could understand the criticism, but I did not.

My point was that you have an opinion on something that is factual, which doesn't make sense. It would be like saying "In my opinion, beer has more calories than water." In your case, you essentially said "In my opinion, artificial sweeteners are not safe." But that isn't something you can feel or believe, it's something that is verifiable (or not) by evidence. In this case, artificial sweeteners have not been demonstrably proven to be dangerous or unsafe in any way, so your "opinion" is not informed by evidence. It's not even a matter of opinions, it's a matter of proof. Does that make sense? Basically, the word "opinion" has no place in a discussion about the safety of food products, because opinions don't really mean anything, especially if they are not informed by anything other than icky feelings.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Believe the mantra "nothing is bad for you" at your own risk. Or "I've been doing it for x amount of years and I'm okay". Getting away with ingesting things that aren't good for you for a long duration is not a compelling reason to encourage others to do it.
    Or we could believe actual scientific research from peer reviewed clinical studies that debunk a lot of the claims of how "unhealthy" it is.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This aspect of MFP has been the most puzzling - people who appear fit and have fitness certifications arguing on behalf of products that are under a lot of scrutiny for their potential harmful effects. Here's an idea - err on the side of caution and encourage food and drink that have more natural ingredients. Smokers were just as adamant about the lack of evidence against the harm of smoking (Google the old commercials with doctors advocating tobacco as healthy) - diet soda has only been around for 30 years and has had so many variations in artificial ingredients that the long term harmful effects may not be known until it is too late.
    I'm not endorsing nor promoting any product. I'm refuting information that is being passed on as "proof" when it's not. Diet soda has been around a lot longer than 30 years (since the 60's) and artificial sweetners have had more studies done on it than just about any food out there.
    I've researched it and studied it over the years and haven't been convinced it's harmful since there isn't anything conclusive. Not to mention it's something I've personally been drinking for over 25 years. Looking at what science says about it and what the anti crowd states about it, I'm going with science since I've NEVER had any of the symptoms or maladies mentioned by the anti crowd.
    Evidence does matter. Dosage does matter. Don't just buy into information that sounds good.

You look like you run. You do know that the impact on your ankles and shins aren't ideal for them[stress fractures). Science could even prove it. But I bet you won't give it up even with better alternatives.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No! Makes no difference. Yea sure in a way of stuff they probably take Out of the drink but they have to replace it with another chemical that of course will later cause Health problems.

All soda is the same. They have BAD carbs and sugars and chems to make you CRAVE another Bad carb product. Thats just the SICK truth. (DRINK any type of SODA, you will CRAVE more SODA) diet, sugar free or whatever, its all the same.

What you need to do is get on juices instead like Gatorade or Poweraid , IF you need that taste, But I HIGHLY recommend sticking to water Water WAter. If you drink a gallon of water everyday , you NEVER have to worry about gaining "water wait" due to yuor body already consuming enough water!

Link a site showing health problems caused by artificial sweetners. Make sure it's peer reviewed.

IDEA Fitness member

Are we talking diet soda here? If we are, show me a PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDY on moderate intake and what harm is caused by it if one isn't suffering from PKU. Ante up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Are we talking diet soda here? If we are, show me a PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDY on moderate intake and what harm is caused by it if one isn't suffering from PKU. Ante up. When you make a claim, then the burden of proof is one you to provide it. If not, then you're talking smoke and mirrors.

IDEA Fitness member

[/quote]
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For me, when I drink any type of soda, diet or regular, I feel very bloated afterwards but I also find myself craving more of it because of one of the additives. I try and avoid it if I can but I am guilty of it, especially lately. I have decided that since I am working on saving money for a trip to Australia, I am going to track how many days I can go without drinking soda and for every day I do it I am going to put away a dollar at the end of each month, see where I am at.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This wasn't serious, was it? Do I need my sarcasm detector calibrated?

Lol yup i guess is would be funny to you, because your so ripped and your health is in excellent! Keep drinking soda and lets see those big muscles you got behind tht dog LOL

You completely missed the point. You say that diet sodas have BAD carbs. The point is that zero-calorie sodas have NO carbs. As such, they cannot possibly have "bad" carbs.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    SODA - one thing i Will say is put to People who are at the same physical fitness level, give one a diet soda or whatever soda you think is "HEALTHY" and see who wins a race or a circuit or some type of physical activity. Its proven SODA will SLOW you down DIET or not. I guess it depends how far into fitness you want to go.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Well, don't quote me on this, but this is what my mama told me. Drinking diet soda, coke zero, or basically any sugar substitute throws off how your body responds to real sugar. When drinking a diet coke, your body is ready to process sugar and the calories along with it. But then it doesn't get any. After a while, your body gets used to that, and so when you do ingest real sugar, your body isn't able to process it as well. Kinda makes sense to me me.

Um no..... just no.......

Lol, thanks for calling me out. I guess I shouldn't believe everything my mama says :)

This made me giggle and think of the water boy and Coronel Sanders. LOL