The first guy who discovered humans could drink animal milk...

Options

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Now I have cows and cats on my mind. Cuteness overload!

wkplh12yki3e.png

m1k7h50boy6j.png

lub20cioabmn.png

nyr48p7w41uq.png

wkt2g4ouh20i.png

• IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    Look at these eyelashes! Who's a pretty little cow? Who's a pretty little cow? Here's a daisy just for being such a cute little cow:

3ap11bdfdjtu.png
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I can imagine the conversation, "OMG DAVE, what are you doing to that cow?!" Dave, sweating, about to invent drinking milk, "O, haven't you heard?"

• IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    What in the F@%# was he doing, and why?
    Right!!
    And why are cows the preferred animal?
    Who the *kitten* came up with that idea?

Whole idea grosses me out, and you ask a question that I think everyone should seriously consider (I do eat products with cow milk, but it grosses me out every time I think of it....I have Vegan periods of time)

...Why cow, or goat milk?
    Why don't people drink human milk? Or dog milk? Or cat milk? Or horse milk? or pig milk?
    Why cow predominantly?

Reminds me, there was an exhibit at the OAG (Ontario Art Gallery) a while ago where there was a human "milk bar"...people could taste human milk...gag :sick:

People do drink human milk. Babies are humans.

As for cows, they were created for this. Cows produce many gallons of milk every day - about 70lbs of milk per day - which is way more than is required for her calf. She is in pain if not milked, and will continue producing milk if regularly milked, even if she stops having calves. Even cats and birds drink milk off cows.

So milking cows is a mutually beneficial situation for both the cow and the consumer of her milk. Now they have machines that milk cows on the cows own schedule. So the cow will be out being a cow, and decide they want to get milked. They will walk to the barn and place themselves in the machine and be milked on demand.

So drink up.

maybe farm life has changed since i was a kid but back then cows had to keep having calfs on the regular to produce milk

Cows start producing milk once the calf is born (or a few days before) and will dry off once her calf is weaned, or the farmer stops milking her. If the farmer keeps milking, she will keep producing.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I'm only commenting cause I saw people saying "ewww" about human breast milk. Ummm, mine tasted like the milk left over from Lucky Charms, it was delicious! (ok, ok, I only tasted it, not actually drank it, but it wasn't eww either way!)

I'm so glad you said that. I wanted to say the same thing but didn't have the guts. And my kids lived on the stuff for a while without complaints :wink:
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    edited October 2018
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    He was awesome. I love milk.

Cow milk?!

How do you feel about squirrel milk?! Human milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

Not trying to be a dick...just wonder where the boundaries are :)
    You know I like you :heart:
    I always wondered if there were experiments that went bad before people settled on cows, goats, water buffalo, yaks, donkeys, horses, whatever depending on where they originated.
    Did people just go around latching onto nip nips before settling on a favorite?
    I'm glad I'm not the only person to think about this.
    I'm no vegan, I just seriously think about this kind of stuff 😅

i think about *kitten* like this too, not bc there’s any judgement but it’s weird, like people are weird about food

other animals go out, kill something, eat it
    maybe forage a bit

but humans they have made eating so complicated and food is so fetishized and how did we even come up with the stuff i eat every day, you know??

like: grow wheat, cut stalks, collect wheat berries, dry them out, grind them up, bleach them out, *then* it gets super crazy bc you add a little microbial fungus and let it ferment and then you cook it up and you got bread. it trips me out! but toast is so good

Cause humans are gonna human. We do this with everything. No horse came up with the iPhone. River to cross -build a bridge, plains to traverse - domesticate a wild horse all the way to building cars and supersonic jets. It's what we do.

We can do all that, why can't we come up with a squirrel proof bird feeder? Cause squirrels gonna squirrel. It's what they do.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    I was just having a similar conversation the other day. How many people had to die or get seriously ill discovering what is and what is not safe for human consumption? Imagine when and how languages were created... etc. Interesting stuff
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Right!!

Whole idea grosses me out, and you ask a question that I think everyone should seriously consider (I do eat products with cow milk, but it grosses me out every time I think of it....I have Vegan periods of time)

Why don't people drink human milk? Or dog milk? Or cat milk? Or horse milk? or pig milk?
    Why cow predominantly?

Reminds me, there was an exhibit at the OAG (Ontario Art Gallery) a while ago where there was a human "milk bar"...people could taste human milk...gag :sick:

As for cows, they were created for this. Cows produce many gallons of milk every day - about 70lbs of milk per day - which is way more than is required for her calf. She is in pain if not milked, and will continue producing milk if regularly milked, even if she stops having calves. Even cats and birds drink milk off cows.

So milking cows is a mutually beneficial situation for both the cow and the consumer of her milk. Now they have machines that milk cows on the cows own schedule. So the cow will be out being a cow, and decide they want to get milked. They will walk to the barn and place themselves in the machine and be milked on demand.

So drink up.

maybe farm life has changed since i was a kid but back then cows had to keep having calfs on the regular to produce milk

Cows start producing milk once the calf is born (or a few days before) and will dry off once her calf is weaned, or the farmer stops milking her. If the farmer keeps milking, she will keep producing.

that’s different from what i remember on my dad’s cattle ranch, but i guess stuff can change over time. do you live on a farm?

No, I'm just fascinated by Temple Grandin's story. She was born in 1947. She was diagnosed with brain damage by age 2.

Somehow, she managed to graduate with her doctorate. Then she busted two male dominated fields - cattle farming and engineering. While having what would later be considered severe autism. At a time when women were doing great to be a secretary.

Not to mention she claimed to talk to cows. So lots of challenges against her, as you might imagine.

Truly a modern day genius and feminist extraordinaire. And to think she changed an entire industry and bettered the lives of so many animals. Now she is busy advocating to better the lives of autisic people.

My fascination with her story led me to learn more about cows and visit those pretty dairy cows getting milked daily at my local zoo and science exhibits about dairy technology.

Perhaps your dad wasn't into dairy and purchased cows for sale of meat. They are different breeds of cows that are used. I'm not sure how milking a cow for meat affects the meat, but I do know that certain breeds fetch higher prices on the meat market, and all kinds of methods are used to make better tasting meat. The most expensive meat cows drink beer and get regular massages.

• IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Eve, to Adam: “What! You didn’t complain when i tried yours!”

:D
  • Chael2dot0
    Chael2dot0 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

They were hungry, observed animals living off the milk with probably some memory of living on the teet from their mother, and went for it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Right!!

Why cow predominantly?

So drink up.

From my farm days (my dad had cows when I was a little kid), as I remember, the cow has to calve once a year.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    mvo1yqbgzlp0.jpg
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Right!!

Why cow predominantly?

So drink up.

Just like humans....imagine that.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    Right!!

Why cow predominantly?

So drink up.

From my farm days (my dad had cows when I was a little kid), as I remember, the cow has to calve once a year.

After some reading, apparently different breeds of cows do it differently. A Jersey cow will continue to produce milk as long as she's being milked, but her milk production will decrease over time if not bred. A Simmental cow will produce milk as long as she has a calf on her, about 6 to 10 months. The answer given on the site to the question "how long before a cow dries up after giving birth if you continue milking the cow," is "a cow will never dry up if you keep milking her. That's the bottom line."

So apparently volume of milk and breed and milking schedule and breeding are all considerations when answering the question?

http://pets.answers.com/Q/How_long_do_cows_produce_milk_after_giving_birth

I have no experience with cows like you do, though.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm in Italy and there's a program on now about breeds of sheep in the mountains--some breeds go back centuries. They are explaining that many of these old breeds would have died out, if not for the farmers. It's cute, an old farmer is caressing his sheep as his wife is shearing it. We have lots of programs like this. It explains our food chain and the work and dedication involved.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    I think the real question here is what high *kitten* decided to milk an almond??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R41gb3xyEg
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Women instigated domesticating cattle.

Man: I am going out now to kill a cow.

Woman. No way, we already have a cave full of meat, it stinks in here and I am fed up sweeping out the maggots. Can't you just catch one and tie it up outside or something so it doesn't go off?

Hey presto domestic cattle.

ETA: To whoever woo'd me it was only a joke :)