The first guy who discovered humans could drink animal milk...

Options

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    He was awesome. I love milk.

Cow milk?!

How do you feel about squirrel milk?! Human milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

Not trying to be a dick...just wonder where the boundaries are :)
    You know I like you :heart:
    I always wondered if there were experiments that went bad before people settled on cows, goats, water buffalo, yaks, donkeys, horses, whatever depending on where they originated.
    Did people just go around latching onto nip nips before settling on a favorite?
    I'm glad I'm not the only person to think about this.
    I'm no vegan, I just seriously think about this kind of stuff 😅

i think about *kitten* like this too, not bc there’s any judgement but it’s weird, like people are weird about food

other animals go out, kill something, eat it
    maybe forage a bit

but humans they have made eating so complicated and food is so fetishized and how did we even come up with the stuff i eat every day, you know??

like: grow wheat, cut stalks, collect wheat berries, dry them out, grind them up, bleach them out, *then* it gets super crazy bc you add a little microbial fungus and let it ferment and then you cook it up and you got bread. it trips me out! but toast is so good

lc4f98f7ac6k.png
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Cow milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

... I know several people who drink human milk.
    I myself produce the stuff.
    I see no issue with this.
    Fun fact. It makes a pretty good eye makeup remover too.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    I'm in Italy and there's a program on now about breeds of sheep in the mountains--some breeds go back centuries. They are explaining that many of these old breeds would have died out, if not for the farmers. It's cute, an old farmer is caressing his sheep as his wife is shearing it. We have lots of programs like this. It explains our food chain and the work and dedication involved.

It's something how these farmers really care very well for these animals. Sheep herders have to deal with wild animals trying to attack their sheep. Literally putting their life on the line to protect their herds.

Meanwhile, the pre-vegans be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__PVLB8Nm4
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

Cow milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

I always wondered if there were experiments that went bad before people settled on cows, goats, water buffalo, yaks, donkeys, horses, whatever depending on where they originated.

i think about *kitten* like this too, not bc there’s any judgement but it’s weird, like people are weird about food

maybe forage a bit

but humans they have made eating so complicated and food is so fetishized and how did we even come up with the stuff i eat every day, you know??

like: grow wheat, cut stalks, collect wheat berries, dry them out, grind them up, bleach them out, *then* it gets super crazy bc you add a little microbial fungus and let it ferment and then you cook it up and you got bread. it trips me out! but toast is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If41cZMBgqA
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Look at these eyelashes! Who's a pretty little cow? Who's a pretty little cow? Here's a daisy just for being such a cute little cow:

3ap11bdfdjtu.png

Adorable. <3
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Look at these eyelashes! Who's a pretty little cow? Who's a pretty little cow? Here's a daisy just for being such a cute little cow:

3ap11bdfdjtu.png

Adorable. <3

All I see is a an extremely rare steak with some sort of plant garnish.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

3ap11bdfdjtu.png

Adorable. <3

:D
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

3ap11bdfdjtu.png

Adorable. <3

When I'd read your post, I immediately thought, he eats Tete de Veau ... The nothing goes to waste type of consumer. 😉
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Cow milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

It has to do with what animal can produce enough quantity.
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options

My question is how hungry was the first guy, and I am sure it was a guy, that ate the first oyster?
    I really like oysters but only raw.
    No cooked ones.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I just feel good drinking it. It is a major source of protein for me. A lot of people complain about breakouts or upset stomach but not me. I gave up dairy for a while years ago and my joints hurt and it didnt benefit me in any way to give it up. Weight loss is easier with milk, for me. Drinking milk, I sleep better and feel amazing. There is nothing gross about it. I love the creamy chunks at the top that come with un-homogenized milk too.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ACDodd wrote: »
    My question is how hungry was the first guy, and I am sure it was a guy, that ate the first oyster?
    I really like oysters but only raw.
    No cooked ones.

Seriously. Who looked at an octopus and thought, hmm, deep fried with tomato puree....

zlbgiz6tx8mj.png

• IHaveMyActTogether
    edited October 2018
    Options
    And speaking of milk, who thought this was a good idea?

4dut6ucxhu4i.png
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    edited October 2018
    Options

Cow milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

maybe forage a bit

Okay, okay, this is the last one about that one sentence in your post...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRbg7K75w0I
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    And speaking of milk, who thought this was a good idea?

4dut6ucxhu4i.png

BRB I need insulin, that pic gave me diabetes.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Cow milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

You know what? I've been thinking about why I found it gross, and the more I thought about it the less gross it became in comparison with the milk of other species.

I guess the idea was a bit of a taboo in my mind, and I don't really know why, "adult humans drinking human milk" why does that gross me out any more/less than cow, sheep, dog, bunny etc.?

Got me thinking about what I consider "right and wrong" foods to eat. I've never considered dogs or bugs an option, but I know that people eat them.

This discussion has been very interesting to me, got me thinking.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

Cow milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

It has to do with what animal can produce enough quantity.

This is an excellent point, and also the people who mentioned the restraint situation needed to milk say a cat, or a squirrel.

I imagine the yield and ease of acquiring it play a big role in the animal chosen. Also maybe the care required for the animal and it's ability to adapt to different environments.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Cow milk?!

Or maybe bunny milk?!

You know what? I've been thinking about why I found it gross, and the more I thought about it the less gross it became in comparison with the milk of other species.

I guess the idea was a bit of a taboo in my mind, and I don't really know why, "adult humans drinking human milk" why does that gross me out any more/less than cow, sheep, dog, bunny etc.?

Got me thinking about what I consider "right and wrong" foods to eat. I've never considered dogs or bugs an option, but I know that people eat them.

This discussion has been very interesting to me, got me thinking.

You're an open minded and smart woman, who can reconsider her position based on new info. Well done.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    The first guy who discovered humans could drink animal milk...
    What in the F@%# was he doing, and why?
    Right!!
    And why are cows the preferred animal?
    Who the *kitten* came up with that idea?

Whole idea grosses me out, and you ask a question that I think everyone should seriously consider (I do eat products with cow milk, but it grosses me out every time I think of it....I have Vegan periods of time)

...Why cow, or goat milk?
    Why don't people drink human milk? Or dog milk? Or cat milk? Or horse milk? or pig milk?
    Why cow predominantly?

Reminds me, there was an exhibit at the OAG (Ontario Art Gallery) a while ago where there was a human "milk bar"...people could taste human milk...gag :sick:

People do drink human milk. Babies are humans.

As for cows, they were created for this. Cows produce many gallons of milk every day - about 70lbs of milk per day - which is way more than is required for her calf. She is in pain if not milked, and will continue producing milk if regularly milked, even if she stops having calves. Even cats and birds drink milk off cows.

So milking cows is a mutually beneficial situation for both the cow and the consumer of her milk. Now they have machines that milk cows on the cows own schedule. So the cow will be out being a cow, and decide they want to get milked. They will walk to the barn and place themselves in the machine and be milked on demand.

So drink up.

For real?

Do you really think that "cows were 'created' for this" (milking)...No they were (are) farmed for milking, and cultivated for human consumption.

I don't have a problem with human consumption of animal products, but really, lets not pretend that it's in the animals best interest to be farmed, often they are well kept...and that is beneficial to the human, better output (meat, milk, eggs etc)

They were not "created" to constantly produce milk throughout their entire life and to be milked for other species benefit. Or their baby boys to be slaughtered for meat. That is not what an animal is "created" for...its what we (humans) do

Any lactating mammal can be continuously be "milked" ...do you think that is healthful, practical or beneficial?

If so explain.

There is a woman named Temple Grandin, who is known as the "cow whisperer." She is autistic and speaks cow. She worked on a farm in her teens, and later became an engineer. She merged these talents at a ranch, and was appalled by the distress the cows were in while being slaughtered. She could "hear" the cows talking, and understand when they were experiencing fear during their herding - a shadow was cast there, or chains rattled someplace else, or the decline was too steep for them to walk comfortably. They'd be subjected to cattle prods and being manhandled by cow handlers to move them along.

Quite a few cows would perish prior to slaughter because of the ordeal. So she created a new design for the cows to walk comfortably to the slaughter. She revolutionized the cow industry by introducing a much more humane way of treating them.

This is what she said about it, considering her deep, deep love for and connection to cows. If there weren't meat consumption, there would be far fewer cows. Cows, as a species, thrive because of meat consumption. In addition, they live full lives because it is in the farmers best interest to have the healthiest cows for slaughter.

Chickens are another story, the cruelty is too much, but we aren't talking about chickens.

But to put it in perspective: cats live an average of 2.5 years out and about by themselves. They live about 15 years when cared for by a human. They are living SIX times longer just from being cared for by humans. Now imagine if they actually did something beneficial for us besides be cute and produce videos - we would allow them to breed (which we don't in America right now).

If you have ever seen a sad wild dog, overrun by fleas and hungry, you would understand why a cow giving her milk is a great exchange for being 1) alive and 2) kept fed and healthy.

At any rate, that's what the "cow whisperer" thinks and she has done more for the betterment of cows in this country than any animal rights groups ever has, in my opinion.

Temple Grandin is an amazing human being. We have a book about her in our school library that I read to my students. She has so many things to teach us about both animals and humans.