Is there value in only lifting weights for certain body areas without doing others?

Options
I don't have someone to spot for me so I don't try squats or dead lifts. As a woman in her 60's, my balance isn't the best and I worry that I may injure myself. I use machines that work upper body and I also use dumbells on a bench. Please share your thoughts.

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Start with bodyweight squats until you feel comfortable with your form and your balance. You can also do goblet squats with a dumbbell, and there are machines to work lower body as well (leg press etc) In my opinion lower body is more important to work than upper body, I would not leave that out. Your legs and your butt do the brunt of the work in everyday life.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts don't require spotters. I'm not even sure how you'd spot someone at it. Squats don't really either as long as you've got bars to drop the weight onto if it you can't make the lift. Generally you only need a spotter to keep the weight from falling on you and injuring you.

If you're ready to get into lifting but you're worried about your balance, maybe hire a trainer for at least the first few months. They can check your form and also stand close enough to keep you from falling if you start going off-balance. Just don't let them make you stand on a bosu ball.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I guess I may be using the wrong terminology and creating confusion. I do use hand weights and do squats and lunges with those, but I always see people here talking about using barbells and using very heavy weights. So, I should be good with the hand weights? Another question while I am asking questions LOL: how do I build up to be able to do an old fashioned "chin-up"? I know my arms are getting stronger, but I tried again this morning to do a chin-up and I still couldn't do one. If it matters, I am not over weight - I weigh 110 lbs. Thanks to everyone for attempting to clue me in :)
  • iowalinda
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do squats and dead’s with DB. I’m a woman in my 60s, I’ve been strength training for 4+ years, mostly DB. Start light and learn proper form. I feel that lower body is much more important than upper body. It’s what will keep us moving safely for years.

You mention machines so I assume you go the gym. They probably have machines for lower body too. They might have classes for women and/or older adults. Yoga could help you too. You can make a lot of progress no matter your starting age or ability.

I live in a rural area and my "gym" is a small town school weight room with a track attached. We are on our own here in the weight room and the number of machines is limited.
    BTW, what does "DB" stand for? Sorry if it's obvious :)
  • hesn92
    Options
    If you google "how to do a pull up" or "pull up progression" there are lots of resources out there.

I've seen people recommend you do dead hangs, negative chin ups, and then maybe resistance band assisted pull ups to work yourself up to it. You can also use a chair or something to put your foot on and help push yourself up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is relative. Whatever is heavy to you is "lifting heavy."

I trained consistently for about a year before I could do a pull-up. I used the assisted pull-up machine, banded pull-ups, and negatives to train.
  • iowalinda
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My main thought is that particularly as we age (I'm 58) the phrase use it or lose it becomes stark reality.

I completely agree :)

• iowalinda
    Options
    Although I now use a barbell I don't think there is anything wrong with adapting exercises so you can get a good routine done with dumbbells and machines.
    If there isn't a lighter bar and a squat rack that you can start with, use dumbbells along with the leg press and leg curl machines.

The deadlift can be done with dumbbells too, or you could set up the cable machine with a long bar.

Cheers, h.

/p1

Thank you - that was very helpful.
  • iowalinda
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    If you google "how to do a pull up" or "pull up progression" there are lots of resources out there.

I've seen people recommend you do dead hangs, negative chin ups, and then maybe resistance band assisted pull ups to work yourself up to it. You can also use a chair or something to put your foot on and help push yourself up.

Thank you!
  • iowalinda
    Options
    Lifting heavy is relative. Whatever is heavy to you is "lifting heavy."

I trained consistently for about a year before I could do a pull-up. I used the assisted pull-up machine, banded pull-ups, and negatives to train.

Thank you! I am off to check out what those terms mean.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @iowalinda, there is so much truth in what @quiksylver296 said- lifting heavy is lifting what is heavy for you.

I used to read all the lifting posts about using the barbell and think 'that is half my weight almost, I could never do that', so was scared off. Then the penny dropped- it was what was heavy for me, whew.

I started simple and easy, basic moves adapted from a barbell programme using weights, or machines, I could handle. This was after more than 6 months doing a bodyweight and a lower weight dumbbell routine.

My progression to the barbell was slow, but at each step I was gaining strength, and even now I progress slowly, but progress.

I love @quiksylver296, and could only dream of lifting like she does, but the reality is, it takes time to reach that kind of level and I am old enough to be her mother ( 65, 102lbs, 5'1), and don't have the dedication she has. Also really want to avoid injury.

Work in a way that suits you, and has you progressing over time- and don't worry about how long that time is. You are only 'competing' against yourself.

Cheers, h.

I can't do a pull-up or chin-up yet. I am doing lat pulldowns and cable pulldowns. Once I get to my body weight, or close, I will start with negatives, or try the newly discovered pull up machine at my secondary gym.
  • iowalinda
    Options
    Thank you so much! I really do appreciate the encouragement.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @iowalinda, there is so much truth in what @quiksylver296 said- lifting heavy is lifting what is heavy for you.

I used to read all the lifting posts about using the barbell and think 'that is half my weight almost, I could never do that', so was scared off. Then the penny dropped- it was what was heavy for me, whew.

I started simple and easy, basic moves adapted from a barbell programme using weights, or machines, I could handle. This was after more than 6 months doing a bodyweight and a lower weight dumbbell routine.

My progression to the barbell was slow, but at each step I was gaining strength, and even now I progress slowly, but progress.

I love @quiksylver296, and could only dream of lifting like she does, but the reality is, it takes time to reach that kind of level and I am old enough to be her mother ( 65, 102lbs, 5'1), and don't have the dedication she has. Also really want to avoid injury.

Work in a way that suits you, and has you progressing over time- and don't worry about how long that time is. You are only 'competing' against yourself.

Cheers, h.

I can't do a pull-up or chin-up yet. I am doing lat pulldowns and cable pulldowns. Once I get to my body weight, or close, I will start with negatives, or try the newly discovered pull up machine at my secondary gym.

Awww, love you too, @middlehaitch! :*
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    I don't have someone to spot for me so I don't try squats or dead lifts. As a woman in her 60's, my balance isn't the best and I worry that I may injure myself. I use machines that work upper body and I also use dumbells on a bench. Please share your thoughts.

Deadlifts shouldn't be an issue - weight is going from the floor to hanging at about your knees...Balance has never seemed to be a factor at all for it. Worst case scenario is pretty much that you make some extra noise dropping the barbell.

Squats might be an issue. The squat racks should have some safety bars (admittedly they are sometimes too high for us petite folk) if you have to bail -but it wouldn't help if you fully lost balance and fell backwards (which is a possibility). Smith machines, which most commercial gyms have, are an option if you are worried about balance - it keeps the barbell in a fixed vertical track and has safeties.
  • hesn92
    Options
    i don't have a squat rack with safety bars, I work out at home. My husband is going to build me one at some point but hasn't had time yet. I just go really light with my squats and am very conservative when moving up in weight. I feel comfortable doing that without a spotter. I don't have aspirations of being a power lifter so I really don't care about my puney weight
  • iowalinda
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Keep in mind "heavy" is relative to the individual. My 500lb squat is just as heavy to me as your 80lb or what have you is to you. We all start somewhere. Personally I had to start all over after decades of training. I restarted with the 45lb barbell only because of my health and I was walking with a cane and couldn't balance well.

You will get stronger as you train more.

Good luck.

Thank you for that inspiring post :)