Intermittent Fasting!

Options
124»

Replies

• Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »
    I encourage others to read this great healthline article explaining why fasting does burn more fat than 5-6 meals a day, even for the same net daily caloric intake:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-and-weight-loss#section1

Some hormonal changes are highlighted as follows:

Insulin: Insulin increases when we eat. When we fast, insulin decreases dramatically (4). Lower levels of insulin facilitate fat burning.

Human growth hormone (HGH): Levels of growth hormone may skyrocket during a fast, increasing as much as 5-fold (5, 6). Growth hormone is a hormone that can aid fat loss and muscle gain, among other things (7, 8, 9).

Norepinephrine (noradrenaline): The nervous system sends norepinephrine to the fat cells, making them break down body fat into free fatty acids that can be burned for energy (10, 11).
    Interestingly, despite what the 5-6 meals a day proponents would have you believe, short-term fasting may actually increase fat burning.

Two studies have found that fasting for about 48 hours boosts metabolism by 3.6-14% (12, 13). However, fasting periods that are longer can suppress metabolism (14).
    The dogma here fact is that all that matters is calories in, calories out even though fat, carbs and proteins are metabolized differently (with different losses) when converted to energy inside the body. Every statement that goes against that dogma fact gets wooed. *shrug*

Fixed that for you.
  • PBAUSA17
    PBAUSA17 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a 22:2 regime for a couple of weeks. I eat between the hours of 2-4pm. Yes, it reduces my calorie intake and I find it helps me personally as I am a chronic snacker!!! I don't snack with this WOE and for the first time in 10 years, I have lost 2 lbs. in one week (4 overall in 2 weeks). For me, after keto and so many other diets, this is working! Here is a helpful film I watched on Prime about the health benefits of fasting - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B0771V2KBT