Any recent vegetarians??

Options
I became a vegetarian about 3 months ago and I feel terrible! Clearly I’m not doing it right! Anyone have good resources for recipients that are packed with complete protiens?

Replies

• Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian but some common nutrient deficiencies that are common are vitamin B12 and iron. Don't know what you exactly mean as feeling terrible but a common vitamin B12 deficiency symptom is weakness/fatigue. There are supplements you could try or eat B12 fortified foods like breakfast cereals or non dairy milk substitutes.

There are a variety of plant based protein sources. Legumes, nuts, seeds, soy products & whole grains. Some vegetables as well are pretty protein rich, I believe broccoli has 6 grams of protein per cup. My advice would be to experiment with the foods you already enjoy as well as try something new.
  • dersarkissian
    dersarkissian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've been vegetarian for 44 years, and I feel pretty good. Does that count for anything? ;)

I'm ovo-lacto, if that matters (but my advice would be the same even if I weren't).

I have two pieces of advice:

One is to avoid thinking of meals the way omnivores do, i.e., mostly in terms of "one big protein". ("What's for dinner?" "Salmon" "Hamburger" etc.). There's nothing wrong with major protein sources, but for us veggies, an important adjunct can be to try to get a little extra protein from many things you eat. There are veggies with protein, beverages with protein, grains with (more than typical) protein, even fruits with protein. These little bits, along with more major protein foods like tempeh, tofu, beans, dairy (if you eat it), eggs (if you eat them), etc., can really add up through the day.

Go through your food diary, and look for foods that are "costing" you relatively many calories, and not bringing you much protein. Think of something else you enjoy that would give you more protein for the same calories. Eating rice? Consider quinoa. Eating pasta? Think about chickpea pasta. And so forth.

Second, take a look at the thread below. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency: Most protein for fewest calories. Scroll down past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top of the spreadsheet, and you'll find vegetarian sources. Pick out ones you enjoy eating, and add more of those to what you eat, replacing things that aren't as much help to you in meeting your nutritional goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

I have no trouble getting the 0.6-0.8g of protein daily per pound of healthy goal weight that I think is a good goal to shoot for. (Note that this is more than the USDA/WHO RDA, but I personally think we need more than those RDAs when in a calorie deficit, or if we're active.)

Best wishes!

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much!!!!
  • dersarkissian
    dersarkissian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    Not a vegetarian but some common nutrient deficiencies that are common are vitamin B12 and iron. Don't know what you exactly mean as feeling terrible but a common vitamin B12 deficiency symptom is weakness/fatigue. There are supplements you could try or eat B12 fortified foods like breakfast cereals or non dairy milk substitutes.

There are a variety of plant based protein sources. Legumes, nuts, seeds, soy products & whole grains. Some vegetables as well are pretty protein rich, I believe broccoli has 6 grams of protein per cup. My advice would be to experiment with the foods you already enjoy as well as try something new.

Thanks so much! I do take b12 and iron supplements to keep myself covered while I figure out my diet! I appreciate your help!
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »

Thanks so much! I do take b12 and iron supplements to keep myself covered while I figure out my diet! I appreciate your help!

You are welcome. I wish you luck on journey.
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for about 2 years. The amount of b12 you need in life really isn't as high as it is portrayed. You can have a glass of almond milk a few times a week and be covered with no issues. Iron is in tons of things so you may want to make sure you are logging everything you eat as too much iron can make you feel sluggish as well so there is a chance you might be overdoing it.

If you looking for some plant-based meals that are actually fun and interesting you should check out the Thug Kitchen cookbooks. They are all plant-based, fun to read and the food is great. Keep in mind that when eating fewer meats you get fewer calories for meals that appear equal in size so that may affect you as well. Logging is key right now along with measuring cups and food scales so you can see what you are actually taking in versus what you think you're taking in.