Mean girls

Options
I wore “business casual” clothes to work today instead of my hospital scrubs which are waaaaaay too big for me now.
I got a lot of mixed reactions. Some people were normal about it like “oh hey, you look great!” but there were a few girls that treated me differently. I couldn’t figure out why it seemed like they were upset with me until I saw one of them looking me up and down.
Looks like I’ll be going back to being the bag lady in my over-sized scrubs. I can’t deal with people treating me so weird. Ugh. I’m still me, dammit :(
Have others experienced similar things? I really didn’t anticipate the girls at work to go sideways on me.

Replies

• hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    mean people suck...just ignore them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Don't hide your success because of other people's ignorance.

PS I see lots of scrubs at Goodwill.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Every time I lose weight people say so many things that it is enough to fall off the wagon and have it run me over. don't listen. to them. Honestly most are jealous. I 2nd the goodwill for scrubs. I have found name brand tops with tags for 3.99 and pants (no tags but looked like they were never worn) FOR 5.99. I tend to go clearance at scrub shops but that is still pretty expensive.
  • fatmonsters
    fatmonsters Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have received the same exact response (treating odd, looking me up and down) in response to them noticing recent weight loss- not by men but just women (and ones I am related to no less!). Anyway, it is what it is and I believe you. People who are healthy will be proud of you; those who feel insecure about themselves may react negatively but it is an obvious tell as to how they feel about themselves. At the end of the day hopefully seeing your transformation will encourage them to make changes. I had the same reaction you did when i encountered it and it made me feel very insecure. But I thought about it, kept working to my goals, and I am feeling really confident about my achievements now. Don’t let anyone put you in a negative headspace. Feel good about yourself.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Don't validate them.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I work in the hospital myself and unfortunately, it's full of mean girls:( I don't know if it's the case of too many women in one place getting all ''cliquey'', but every single hospital I worked at was the same.

Personally I used to love wearing scrubs, they're so comfy!:D What matters is that you feel good in what you wear, don't pay any attention to silly jealous people, you can't keep everyone else happy. It's important that you feel good and comfortable.

BTW, as for the scrubs, If they are too big, isn't the hospital supposed to supply the size that fits you? In UK you can have whatever size you want/whenever you want
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    People generally like a "status quo". When something changes they check it out--that's just human. You decide what you want to wear. They'll get used to it pretty fast.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the better you look, the more mean girls there are. It's just jealousy.

We are supposed to build each other up and celebrate successes, not drag each other down!

This weekend I had a mean girl tell my date she wanted to be with him and treated me absolutely nasty. Jealous *itch. She is a model and thought she could win him over with pure sex and slut. Lol I have brains and a personality and my own...everything. Her only recourse was to drag me down to look better to him. Those mean girls are trying to supress the wonderful that you are so they can feel better. Take it as a compliment.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hospitals are required to provide properly standardized scrubs for operating room personnel. For non-operating room positions that call for scrubs, it varies. I think a lot of US hospitals provide a "scrub allowance" - extra money you can put in for that covers the cost of new scrubs (often around 4 or 5 sets/year).

If OP is changing sizes fast enough that she already bought smaller scrubs earlier this year, she may have been trying to make do with those now-oversized scrubs until January 1. (But I am not OP, so I could be way off base. ;) )

OP, are the Mean Girls at your work overweight themselves?

Before I started losing weight, I often felt everything having to do with weight loss and skinny people as a personal reproach. For example, if my skinny sister got a no-whip iced coffee with skim milk at Starbucks and I ordered the Death-By-Caramel-Heart-Attack Frappuccino, I felt like everyone in the place was staring at our orders and thinking "No wonder she's so fat." (In reality, they probably weren't looking at us at all, and were most likely too busy thinking about their own lives and concerns to worry about some stranger's coffee order.) It could be that your coworkers were feeling something like that.

BTW, although I have never worked in the medical profession, I love scrubs for comfy working-around-the-house-wear. I get them cheap from thrift stores and on Poshmark.