Plateau-How to break it?

So far I have lost 27 pounds through tracking/measuring food, cardio, and drinking only water. I have about 50 more to go. The last few weeks have been so discouraging because the scale has not moved at all, neither up or down! I am weighing and tracking all my food and drinking a good amount of water. I workout (walk/jog/run/bike) 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes, sometimes more. I have been eating 1200 calories so I cannot decrease any further. Lately I have been trying to increase my calories by eating additional healthy/protein foods but this hasn't worked either. Please help! Any advice, experiences, etc are greatly appreciated.
Start: 214.7 lbs
Current: 187.7 lbs
Goal: 130ish

Replies

• I suggest incorporating strength training into your routine. Eat back 50-75% of those calories. It might not move the scale as much as you want but it will transform your body 10x better than cardio ever could hope for.
  • KayTrask
    KayTrask Posts: 11 Member
    I suggest incorporating strength training into your routine. Eat back 50-75% of those calories. It might not move the scale as much as you want but it will transform your body 10x better than cardio ever could hope for.

Thank you! I would agree with this. I tried to do some weights by myself today but am not positive I am doing it right. I signed up for a personal trainer at my gym and am waiting to hear back. Will strength training help with belly fat?

• You can't spot reduce fat - what order it comes off is genetic. If you are a total beginner, I suggest a program like starting strength.

Be careful with trainers - lot of them don't know what they are doing, or if they do it doesn't show, and they don't care about results they care about keeping you as a client to get $. I have seen the trainers at my gym bring someone into the free weights area a total of 3 times in the 6 months I have been back at the gym 5x a week.

The truth is, a trainer should be exactly that - to train you on proper form and techniques, explain the benefits of different programs, splits etc. They are not a paid friend, and realistically after 2-3 months of form and technique training, you should be comfortable enough to go out on your own with maybe once a month check ins, and I promise you will get pretty far on basic knowledge. If your trainer is not working towards that end, they care more about your $ than they do teaching you. If they take you to machines instead of free weights, fire them. If they pull out a bosu ball and it's not for some type of injury rehab prescribed by a physio, fire them.

Find a trainer who will teach you to squat, deadlift, clean and press, bench, overhead press, row etc.- all the big full body movements, with some isolation exercises, one who works primarily with barbells, dumbbells, and some cables - that is what is going to get you the results you seek.
  • lollitakennedy
    lollitakennedy Posts: 33 Member
    I suggest taking your measurements. If the scale doesnt move the inches may go down. I am using an article of clothing that I want to get into. I have it hanging so I see it all day long. I find this motivates me to stay on track.
  • KayTrask
    You can't spot reduce fat - what order it comes off is genetic. If you are a total beginner, I suggest a program like starting strength.

Be careful with trainers - lot of them don't know what they are doing, or if they do it doesn't show, and they don't care about results they care about keeping you as a client to get $. I have seen the trainers at my gym bring someone into the free weights area a total of 3 times in the 6 months I have been back at the gym 5x a week.

The truth is, a trainer should be exactly that - to train you on proper form and techniques, explain the benefits of different programs, splits etc. They are not a paid friend, and realistically after 2-3 months of form and technique training, you should be comfortable enough to go out on your own with maybe once a month check ins, and I promise you will get pretty far on basic knowledge. If your trainer is not working towards that end, they care more about your $ than they do teaching you. If they take you to machines instead of free weights, fire them. If they pull out a bosu ball and it's not for some type of injury rehab prescribed by a physio, fire them.

Find a trainer who will teach you to squat, deadlift, clean and press, bench, overhead press, row etc.- all the big full body movements, with some isolation exercises, one who works primarily with barbells, dumbbells, and some cables - that is what is going to get you the results you seek.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am looking for. I've done some work on the machines but I want to work with the actual weights. I am hoping I get a good trainer! I want to become strong and lean.
  • KayTrask
    I suggest taking your measurements. If the scale doesnt move the inches may go down. I am using an article of clothing that I want to get into. I have it hanging so I see it all day long. I find this motivates me to stay on track.

Thank you. I've recently bought a bikini for inspiration!
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Honestly, you can try all the tips and tricks and they could all fail. In which case you'd have to do the good old fashion approach - wait it out. It'll pass eventually. Some people plateau for months at a time. Eventually, it does pass.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Have you tried eating more for a few weeks? (weight may go up at first FYI) Do you use an activity tracker? Eat back any exercise calories? eating 1200 sounds really low in my opinion.
    I weigh 217 and am losing eating 2400 calories. My Fitbit estimates my burn so the math says I should lose a pound a week.
  • KayTrask
    kami3006 wrote: »

Yes, I use a weight scale for literally everything I put in my mouth.
  • KayTrask
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Have you tried eating more for a few weeks? (weight may go up at first FYI) Do you use an activity tracker? Eat back any exercise calories? eating 1200 sounds really low in my opinion.
    I weigh 217 and am losing eating 2400 calories. My Fitbit estimates my burn so the math says I should lose a pound a week.

Thank you. I'm starting to eat more to see of that works. I agree, it is low. I use a fitbit and because my calories are so low I am always in a deficit.
  • KayTrask
    Honestly, you can try all the tips and tricks and they could all fail. In which case you'd have to do the good old fashion approach - wait it out. It'll pass eventually. Some people plateau for months at a time. Eventually, it does pass.

I agree. I am hoping it passes soon instead of a couple months but it sounds like a lot of it is out of my control. It's hard for me to stay on track when I get so discouraged. :(
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2018
    KayTrask wrote: »

I agree. I am hoping it passes soon instead of a couple months but it sounds like a lot of it is out of my control. It's hard for me to stay on track when I get so discouraged. :(

If you're not already, take measurements and pictures. Sometimes it takes a bit for the inches you're losing to show on the scale. Other methods of tracking help when the scale is discouraging.

Wish you the best.
  • WilmaValley
    WilmaValley Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great suggestions!