1 week into maintenance & I’m starving

Options
I didn’t have any appetite when I was losing weight, 8 days into maintenance & I’m hungry all the time - is this likely to even out?
For the week I’ve averaged 2038 cals per day and put on 0.2lbs - I assume that’s water weight.
I’ve tried loading my plate with veg and getting enough fat etc but it’s not helping and I don’t want to start gaining.

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    55% carbs 31% fat 14% protein
    Ave 30g fibre
    I am trying to increase protein by having larger portion with dinner (and less potatoes or whatever the carb part happens to be)
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I’m in UK but spend most of day outside and it’s getting cold!
    I guess it might be hormones, I might have started at the wrong time of the month!
    I will certainly keep at it, it’s nice to hear it’s quite common, thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Ave 30g fibre
    I am trying to increase protein by having larger portion with dinner (and less potatoes or whatever the carb part happens to be)

My maintenance is around the same (net). I aim for 20-25% protein, 40ish% carbs and 30-35% fat which seems to work.

Adding protein is a good idea
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    When I go from a cut to maintenance, even just upping by a few hundred calories, my appetite goes through the roof after a couple days and stays like that for a couple weeks. From what I understand it's a hormone response. It does even out. I usually have to load up on more protein which is the primary macro that keeps me feeling full albeit a bit bloated too. I am experiencing this right now and it's starting to level off.

Congrats on hitting maintenance!

Thanks, I’m not actually convinced I’m there yet but after recent advice have decided to give it a go and hope my mindset will follow!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I’m in UK but spend most of day outside and it’s getting cold!
    I guess it might be hormones, I might have started at the wrong time of the month!
    I will certainly keep at it, it’s nice to hear it’s quite common, thanks

Not necessarily monthly hormones, though that can be an influence, but being in a deficit affects our hormones and once we go up in calories they tend to balance out. It's one of the reasons people take diet breaks. So, just a normal response to coming out of a deficit. Adjusting macros should help you ride it out.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Ave 30g fibre

My maintenance is around the same (net). I aim for 20-25% protein, 40ish% carbs and 30-35% fat which seems to work.

Adding protein is a good idea
    Thanks, I think dieting made me lazy in the kitchen and rely on carb based snacks, I’m hoping to enjoy food again so will try looking up protein snack recipes :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Look at your macros - are you getting enough fat/protein/fibre/carbs? You need to find whatever balance of all these works for you.

+1
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have just entered maintenance as well. I tried to gradually increase calories and this didn't work. I ended dropping five more pounds then I wanted to.

Starting this week I jumped my calories to almost 2,000 and eating back about half of what MFP says are my exercise calories. I modify the exercise calories by cutting them in half when I input them this way I know my exact target.

I can't say I really feel any more hungry with the increase calories and some days this past week I struggle to hit the amount as I am just used to eating so much less. Seriously 2,000 calories seems like a lot of food to me.

Happy to be a little below goal and getting started on recomp.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    This is all very enlightening. I’ve been in maintenance about 2 weeks and am experiencing some hunger. @nowine4me I think you’re right!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I read this, my appetite has gone up since eating on maintenance & have been having hard time not over eating