1 week into maintenance & I’m starving

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2018
    Interesting article..... there was also one talking to Spencer Nodolsky? Spelling I am sure is wrong......
    https://www.livescience.com/53942-weight-loss-biology.html
    Could be pseudo science, but Rosenbaum if I remeber correctly is actually a respected metabolic researcher.
    http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-weight-loss-hunger-20180202-story.html
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    The struggle is real!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Just something else to think about.... are you getting enough water in maintenance? The body can confuse hunger signals with slight dehydration and many who used water to keep tummies full during weight loss can forget about it in maintenance.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I know I am not as hungry if I eat lower carbs and more protein and drink my water.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    I maintain on about 2000, but this time of year I'm fighting carb cravings, just like every year. Are you in the northern hemisphere? I find this always happens going into winter for me.

Plus whenever I raise calories I get a brief period of just wanting more food...like the hounds have been unleashed. It dies down. Hang on.

ditto on both of these for me too.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Just curious for those who might know- is gradually increasing calories supposed to help prevent this, or doesn't it matter?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    When I started to maintain I added carbs. That made me hungry. Go with fats and proteins. You'll find your way.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    So...the starving thing scared me out of maintenance, it’s been 3 weeks and I’m 6lbs down.
    I will try again at some point but realise I will need a lot of support to get to that stage - it terrifies me but I know it’s something I will have to deal with.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    So...the starving thing scared me out of maintenance, it’s been 3 weeks and I’m 6lbs down.
    I will try again at some point but realise I will need a lot of support to get to that stage - it terrifies me but I know it’s something I will have to deal with.

so are you trying to gain weight now or...?
  • Kdp2015
    No I’m not, sorry not sure what else to say really.
  • Kdp2015
    I’m not sure I’m actively trying anything to be honest, just kind of getting through it
  • TavistockToad
    I’m not sure I’m actively trying anything to be honest, just kind of getting through it

i'm not sure what 'it' is that you're referring to? if you're just ranting that's fine, i am just not sure i understand your previous post about having lost more weight? are you happy you lost more? are you saying you are scared to eat more?
  • cmriverside

Okay, so look at it like this: you have a six pound cushion to use to help you get past the WEEK (at the most) of feeling like you need to keep eating when you've raised calories.

Go back to maintenance cals.

Work through the feeling of needing to eat more. Get plenty of protein and take a long walk every day for a week. Eat your 4-6 servings of vegetables daily. The increased appetite WILL settle down, just believe. It will.
  • Kdp2015

i'm not sure what 'it' is that you're referring to? if you're just ranting that's fine, i am just not sure i understand your previous post about having lost more weight? are you happy you lost more? are you saying you are scared to eat more?
    Yes and yes
  • cmriverside
    Yeah, I get that...but the need-to-eat-all-the-foodz when increasing calories is normal. It happens to all of us (or at least a lot of us.)

There's nothing wrong with you and you're not going to go back to being out of control, it will settle down. Honest.
  • TavistockToad

Yes and yes

so i asked 4 questions to actually try and help, and that's your response. ok.

good luck
  • Kdp2015
    Sorry x