How exactly do muscle gainers get 100+ grams of animal protein a day without being rich?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Went animal protein? Because we assimilate animal protein better than vegetable protein. A simple biological fact.
    Plus bacon tastes better than tofu. :D

Where did you hear that we assimilate animal protein better than plant protein?
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Buy in bulk and when it's on sale.

Yes, meat is more expensive than carbs but you don't have to be eating filet mignon. However, expect to spend a decent amount on meat if that's what you prefer to eat. You might find there are other things in your diet (any supplements that are expensive??) that you can reduce the cost on.

When my boyfriend and I buy meat, we'll buy regular chicken breast from the butcher's counter. But, we'll do a couple heads of raw broccoli (cheap) and a couple potatoes (cheap) with olive oil and whatever all-purpose spice is at home. It's about 10 dollars total and it's even less if those items are bought in bulk beforehand. However, almost 80% of that is coming from the meat.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    protien shakes
    4-8 oz ground beef/steak
    Cheese
    Eggs
    4-8oz Chicken/turkey
    4 oz salmon
    Cottage cheese
    Beef jerky

I'm not rich...my grocery bill for myself averages about $125 a week, and it could definitely be a lot less if ibdidnt eat so much salmon and steak.

125 a week for yourself is a lot! I used to spend less than that for a family of 3.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is not that high but I see according to my log that I might get about half of my protein from meat and half from other sources on a typical day. I don't know what "clean" protein is. I would just expand your sources of protein if you are concerned about cost or prep time.

I suppose I spend 4-7 hours a week cooking food but not all of that is me standing over it. I can put something in the oven or slow cooker and do other things while it cooks.

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Went animal protein? Because we assimilate animal protein better than vegetable protein. A simple biological fact.

In a vacuum (and excluding soy), sure plant protein has a lower PDCAAS score due to the amino acid profiles being more similar to humans. However, getting protein from a wide variety of sources neuters this effect, so if you're reaching protein adequacy, most people will be fine. Powder blends tend to have a score of 1 (pea and rice being a super popular combo) and many popular food combos will have both (not that you need to consume the correct ratio at the same time).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    According to calculations and what I've read, I should be getting at least 120 grams of protein a day, primarily from animal sources.

For lean non-red meats, that is the equivalent of roughly 1 lb of meat a day (e.g. chicken breast, etc.). I recently cooked 4 lbs of chicken breast and it lasts about 5 days. And I just finished a batch of 3 lbs of turkey, which would only last another 4 days at most...

I have an incredibly hard time believing most people building muscle are able to cook 100% of their meals cost effectively. I am lucky to have access to a full kitchen with no roommates, I work from home most days so I can cook while on break, and have a very healthy salary. I believe this can't be true for majority of people...

Short of being rich enough to hire a personal chef or buy all your clean foods prepared, how do normal people get clean animal protein without going broke and spending hours each week cooking?

No one I have talked with about their muscle gains ever mentions the effort involved in eating and cooking the right foods. Am I overthinking this? Can you explain how you make it work? This is honestly more time consuming than the actual workouts.

I think you're starting from a weird place with this. Normal people buy the food/meat they can afford and cook daily - you don't need an abundant amount of time, money or space to cook and feed yourself. Spending hours each week cooking isn't an unrealistic, unattainable feat - it's what you do if you can't afford or don't want convenience food.

Getting clean animal protein, magicked onto a plate without spending time, effort or money to get it there isn't a "most people" expectation I don't think. You prioritize your time and money on what's important to you. It's the best you can do.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I am over protein usually (150g). Mostly from these three things, because I am apparently very good at eating the same thing over and over again:
    • Greek yogurt with protein powder and muesli.
    • Meat (chicken, turkey, etc) with lentils, beans or chickpeas.
    • Salad (think a LOT of veggies + 7oz chicken and kefir/yogurt dumped on top)

This is really not an expensive grocery list. I sometimes pay extra though because I can snatch already-cooked stuff from the make-your-own-salad stand in the supermarket (which includes cooked lentils and chicken for example).