• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yummy ideas!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I prefer lamb (I will use beef if good lamb or mutton isn't available or too expensive) barbacoa tacos and I make my chiles marinade myself, not store bought.

Ingredients I throw in are : garlic, dried guajillo chiles, apple cider vinegar, Mexican cinnamon, cloves, salt, sugar, white onions, carrots, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, marjoram sprigs, cumin, avocado leaves.

I either purchase an agave cactus (Mexican grocers) slab to char and is added into the roasting pan or slow cooker, for that smoky pit flavour, OR liquid smoke plus a little charred banana leaf (Mexican or Asian grocers) . As a Pacific Islander, you start learning tricks to cheat the smokines in the oven or slow cooker, from our earth pits, which certain parts of Mexico practice too. ☺

Agree that your meat selection is important. We are rather fortunate because the butcher at the Mexican grocers likes to impart his knowledge uninvited. Lol.

Oh and fresh tortillas are important in my book & taste buds.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I prefer lamb (I will use beef if good lamb or mutton isn't available or too expensive) barbacoa tacos and I make my chiles marinade myself, not store bought.

Ingredients I throw in are : garlic, dried guajillo chiles, apple cider vinegar, Mexican cinnamon, cloves, salt, sugar, white onions, carrots, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, marjoram sprigs, cumin, avocado leaves.

I either purchase an agave cactus (Mexican grocers) slab to char and is added into the roasting pan or slow cooker, for that smoky pit flavour, OR liquid smoke plus a little charred banana leaf (Mexican or Asian grocers) . As a Pacific Islander, you start learning tricks to cheat the smokines in the oven or slow cooker, from our earth pits, which certain parts of Mexico practice too. ☺

Agree that your meat selection is important. We are rather fortunate because the butcher at the Mexican grocers likes to impart his knowledge uninvited. Lol.

Oh my, those are a bunch of ingredients that I would have to go searching for lol...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I use the basic mix of spices mentioned here: cumin, ancho chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, etc. I also add about 2 tbsp of tomato paste or a half cup of tomato sauce per lb of beef. I don't know that there is anything particularly special about my tacos, but my husband likes them. I think the quality of the beef is important. I prefer to use beef that hasn't been frozen. I think frozen ground beef tastes a little bit rubbery in tacos.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I use Alton Brown's taco potion recipe and it's my favorite thing ever.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Oh my, those are a bunch of ingredients that I would have to go searching for lol...

A good Mexican grocery store should stock them, if not, most are available online.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    I use this brand of seasoning, it's a liquid type. They come in lots of different flavors. The chicken taco is good too!1tzwgblb1apx.jpg

Hands down like the chicken on, I get fresh cilantro and mix into it, along with dried oregano. Plus you need the right hot sauce, fresh homemade guacamole or pico de Gallo, sour cream 🙌🏻🙌🏻 af6fj8w4v83v.jpeg
    cbfb5eglfpey.jpeg
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I use Alton Brown's taco potion recipe and it's my favorite thing ever.

Yeap. You and me both. Fully agree.
    https://foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/all-american-beef-taco-recipe-2014469

Other than the coriander, it is similar to what I use. I might have to add coriander to my personal taco potion.
  • cee23693
    cee23693 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on the Skinny Taste website, made it for my family and they loved it.

https://skinnytaste.com/madisons-favorite-slow-cooker-beef-tacos/

First time, I tried the slow cooker method. Second time, tried the Instant Pot method - really couldn't tell the difference. When I used the packets in the past, the meat was flavorful, but dry. This recipe keeps the meat moist.