Walking ok at a 1/2 marathon?

Options
2»

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I do a run-walk blend, and have done it for each of my halfs. All that matters is that you complete in the max time -- it's the outcome that matters, not the way in which you get there.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I've done a number of similar events with disabled veterans, vets running in full armor, vets running in bomb suits, etc. and it is one of the most inspiring things to witness.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar in a running forum a couple days ago but didn't get a response so trying here. On the roads/trails, I feel like I get an easy rhythm and the time goes quickly. I havn't had any issues with the increased running interval in the second week training plan and even feel like I could keep running but don't because I don't want injuries. A few days ago was the first day I had to run on a treadmill. On the treadmill, I felt like I was plodding along, heavy footed and never got a good rhythm. I tried going super slooooooow, slower than my walking pace, but that just made my knee and hip hurt. I tried going a bit faster but went from plodding to stomping. I increased the elevation which helped more than anything but still never found a comfortable pace. I gave myself an extra rest day before my next run on the road and that one went great.

I work for a power utiltity and work 17 hour shifts inside of the storm central building during storm restoration efforts. We have a wellness room with a treadmill which is good. I can get away from my desk for 1/2 an hour if I have to. My reality is that I am stuck with treadmill runs when I am working a 17/7 shift so I have to figure this out. I am keeping my shoulders back and relaxed, not hunching. I'm trying to keep my footfalls under my body. Any suggestions to make it feel more natural? My running mentor never runs on a treadmill so she can't give much advice on the subject. She hates them with passion. She also lives in California so she can run year round without too many weather issues.
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I was an athlete. 26 surgeries after an accident and not so much. I used to run and really enjoy it. I have a permanently dislocated pelvis now. That has caused balance, hip and knee problems. I can walk, quickly, forever. When I start running, I begin limping very quickly. So...my question is whether walking (15 minute mile) is frowned upon in charity races? I am going to be in Scotland in May with a group of amazing people. Several of them are participating in a charity event, Stirling for Bloodwise. It’s a 1/2 marathon and marathon. I want to participate but wonder if walking the entire thing would be taboo.

While I haven't actually participated in a marathon yet, I've been wanting to for years. I have absolutely no desire to run. Plus I have bad knees. However, every marathon website I've looked at and considered allows walking too. My point is do what you can do. You have to live after the marathon is over. Just my 2 cents 😉