Not exercising worse for your health than smoking, diabetes and heart disease, study reveals

Options
"Being unfit on a treadmill or in an exercise stress test has a worse prognosis, as far as death, than being hypertensive, being diabetic or being a current smoker," Jaber told CNN. "We've never seen something as pronounced as this and as objective as this."

Researchers retrospectively studied 122,007 patients who underwent exercise treadmill testing at Cleveland Clinic between January 1, 1991 and December 31, 2014 to measure all-cause mortality relating to the benefits of exercise and fitness.

What made the study so unique, beyond the sheer number of people studied, he said was that researchers weren't relying on patients self-reporting their exercise. "This is not the patients telling us what they do," Jaber said. "This is us testing them and figuring out objectively the real measure of what they do."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/health/study-not-exercising-worse-than-smoking/index.html

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    well lets take my grandparents and parents for example. my grandpa(my moms dad) was always active, he died when he was like 82, my grandma(moms mom) wasnt as active although not sedentary and died around 84. now my dads dad was active and died in his 60s but his mom was active but was limited to what she could do because of her asthma. she was 84 when she died.

my mom was always on the move,she couldnt sit for long at all (she was a nurses aide for awhile)and she only made it to age 68 (but she had COPD from smoking),same with my dad he was always active and always doing something he was 62 when he died now all of them but my moms mom had health issues, none of them did exercise in the sense of workouts or anything but they cleaned house,moved furniture.my dad worked different jobs over the years which a lot of them included walking, my dad would play with us kids and chase us around as kids and so on. of course my dad and his mom had heart issues and asthma,

my moms dad had parkinsons, her mom as far as we know never had any health issues until she got dementia. my aunt(dads sister) also died but she was in her 80s when she died and my aunt (on moms side) is still living and in her late 70s. shes developed health issues and type 2. so I dont think she will be with us long but she was active as she gave birth to 18 living children(YES,I said 18 she was pregnant 24+ times altogether) so you know she was active chasing and taking care of all those kids(she had 1 per year most years)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    But... Worse prognosis, as far as death meaning what exactly? We all die at the end anyway.

I assume that means dying younger.

Let's talk about quality of life, though. My extremely active 80 year old mom has a great quality of life, while other people her age I know do not. Also, I met a 92 year old Senior Olympian last year who was truly inspirational.

This notorious octogenarian works out twice per week.

This is a huge part of why I lift.

We all lose muscle as we age, it's better to start with more of it, and to keep as much as you can. I volunteered at a nursing home, a lot of the people there couldn't get off the toilet without help. I don't mind doing squats if it helps me live independently when I'm 80. I've known people who threw their back out, and went through terrible pain; I do lots of core strength exercises to protect my spine.

Fred Beckey was still climbing mountains and camping in places he wasn't supposed to in his 90s. So why should I have to give up the things I love when I get old?

Yes, my OH's sedentary mother had to go into a nursing home when she could no longer get on and off the toilet unassisted. The electric lift chair she had prior to that sure didn't do her any favors. Use it or lose it.