low carb diet questions

Options
how many carbs do you eat a day? and how much protein and fat? are you losing weight? has it been hard? do you exercise? how much do you weigh and how long have you been on a diet? how much have you lost already? how many calories do you usually burn per day?

i'm curious haha

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    how many carbs do you eat a day?

Close to none

and how much protein and fat?

Not sure anymore. Probably 25% protein.

are you losing weight? has it been hard?

I'm about at maintenance but I'm still losing slowly. Not hard for me if carbs are very low.

do you exercise?

Not consistently.

how much do you weigh and how long have you been on a diet?

Around 157. I'm 5'8" I'm a size 10/12. I started very low carb about 3.5 years ago. Only had about 30-40 lbs to lose. Lost that in the first 5 months

how much have you lost already?

I was a bit lighter at one point. Maybe 150. I regained some about a year ago when I let my carbs go up (I get hungrier and feel worse). I'm still slowly re-losing it.

how many calories do you usually burn per day? i'm curious haha

Not sure. I started losing on 1500 a day. I seem to be able to eat 1800-2500 without gaining when carbs are low.

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    tanyanie11 wrote: »
    how many carbs do you eat a day? and how much protein and fat? are you losing weight? has it been hard? do you exercise? how much do you weigh and how long have you been on a diet? how much have you lost already? how many calories do you usually burn per day?

i'm curious haha

My carbs are in the 60s or 70s most days, but I try to get a lot of those from fiber so that my net carbs are usually 45 or less.

Protein and fat make up the rest of my calories.

I’m at maintenance now, toying around with the idea of losing 5-10 vanity pounds, but I haven’t gotten serious about those.

I exercise a lot. I teach fitness classs and lead an active lifestyle, and I set aside an afternoon a week to lift seriously, the way I don’t get to do in classes. I did NOT exercise almost at all during my first month or so of low-carb. Work was really slow, and I went from three crazy plyo workouts a week to basically just walking. I felt like I could walk forever, but the idea of lifting or jumping was absolutely repellant for a long time. It took weeks for my body to adapt to low-carb, but now that it has I feel great, and I’m working out way more than before.

I went from 153 to 125 in five months. I’ve been holding pretty steady for the last five since then, although I’m very slowly inching down toward 120 to see if I like it there. I like being athletic, and don’t want to sacrifice muscle just for the sake of a smaller number on the scale.

2100 calories is a pretty standard day for me. Sometimes I hit 2300, but on more relaxed days it’s a lot lower, so I use a fitness tracker to help me keep perspective.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The “normal”way or I assume you mean high carb way of using energy is not a myth. The myth is that low carb athletes have no energy and cannot function
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    • a lot
    • a lot
    are you losing weight?
    • maintaining
    has it been hard?
    • no really the eating part, but getting into the habit of daily exercise was pretty hard
    do you exercise?
    • 7 days a week
    how much do you weigh?
    how long have you been on a diet?
    • never really went on a diet per say, but i did monitor my intake to learn how to eat better
    • 50 to 60 lbs.
    how many calories do you usually burn per day?
    • 500 to 1000 active calories (exercise), plus my regular calories about 2000. So about 2500 to 3500 total.
    i'm curious haha

As far as the subject line "Low Carb Diet" goes, if you exercise, you need more carbs because that is mainly what you burn when exercising.

This is actually a myth. The body can use carbs or fat. When switching to fats, there is an adaptation time which can last a few weeks to a few months where you might feel your performance is affected a bit. After that, it is pretty equal to carbs. Possibly slightly better for endurance events and possibly slightly worse for explosive events like sprinting or power lifting.

No it's not a myth.

The body burns mostly carbs and some fat during exercise. Lower intensity exercise will burn a higher percentage of fat then higher intensity, but still mostly carbs.

I'm afraid that it is still a myth, The science is not widely known yet so many people have not yet seen the information behind it.

I've been ketogenic a few years. For the last 6 months I have been close to eating as a carnivore; I doubt I eat more than 50g of carbs a week. I find there is no difference in my energy supply for exercise. If anything I feel like my energy is better. Last week I played a 30 minute game of basketball with the teen boys I coach. No problem. And I'm what I would call a weekend warrior who does not train consistently.

A sweeping statement that you need more carbs because that is what you burn when exercising is not right. You burn what is available and get good at burning what your body is adapted to.

If you look at Phinney and Volek's FASTER study (between endurance athletes that use carbs or fats for fuel) you can see that the amount of carbs and fats used depends only on what they are eating and used to eating.

The F.A.S.T.E.R. study from 2015
    https://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(15)00334-0/fulltext

An article discussing it:
    http://www.vespapower.com/the-emerging-science-on-fat-adaptation/

Just did a quick search and found a couple things...

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.

Ketosis is a normal metabolic process, something your body does to keep working. When it doesn't have enough carbohydrates from food for your cells to burn for energy, it burns fat instead. ... Ketosis can become dangerous when ketones build up. High levels lead to dehydration and change the chemical balance of your blood.

Seriously?

Forcing your body to do something that it does not normally do (over a couple million years of evolution) is a good thing?

And your posting this as though it is good?

And other folks may think it's a good thing and wind up having some type of negative affects from it?

And saying that the normal way a body uses energy is a myth?

HOLY COW!!!

Carbs tend to be used by the body first, possibly because there is such a narrow window of BG control needed for health - about a teaspoon of glucose in the blood. When carbs are in low supply, the body uses fats and ketones. I don't think I'd say it was "forced". The body does it automatically and naturally.

The body also uses glucose for fuel ... naturally. Although those who are fat adapted will find that the body starts to use fat more readily than glucose (unless someone eats a bunch of carbs that the body is "forced" to manage ;) ).

A medically needed ketogenic diet for epileptics is quite different than used by most people who eat keto, and hugely different than what someone who eats a LCHF would.

Many use low carb to help with other health issues though. I use it for managing insulin resistance, autoimmune diseases, migraines, low BP and reactive hypoglycemia, and pain.

Ketones only build up to dangerous levels when a Type 1 diabetic does not take insulin and their blood glucose is dangerously high too. That's called diabetic ketoacidosis. It does not happen to people without T1D, with a rare exception for uncontrolled, serious alcoholics who are not eating.

There is a lot of (more accurate) information out there on low carb, and ketosis, if you are interested.

ETA Low carb is typically thought to be under 100-150g of carbs a day. Keto is thought to be under about 50g of carbs a day. Here is an image to give you an idea of what that looks like.

6v8jgkhqvrjs.png

actually ketones can build up to a dangerous level in those with type 2,although rare and its usually those who arent treating their type 2 adequately it can happen. I posted a link in another post about it,it is not just in alcoholics who dont treat theirs https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842543/
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    • a lot
    • a lot
    are you losing weight?
    • maintaining
    has it been hard?
    • no really the eating part, but getting into the habit of daily exercise was pretty hard
    do you exercise?
    • 7 days a week
    how much do you weigh?
    how long have you been on a diet?
    • never really went on a diet per say, but i did monitor my intake to learn how to eat better
    • 50 to 60 lbs.
    how many calories do you usually burn per day?
    • 500 to 1000 active calories (exercise), plus my regular calories about 2000. So about 2500 to 3500 total.
    i'm curious haha

As far as the subject line "Low Carb Diet" goes, if you exercise, you need more carbs because that is mainly what you burn when exercising.

This is actually a myth. The body can use carbs or fat. When switching to fats, there is an adaptation time which can last a few weeks to a few months where you might feel your performance is affected a bit. After that, it is pretty equal to carbs. Possibly slightly better for endurance events and possibly slightly worse for explosive events like sprinting or power lifting.

No it's not a myth.

The body burns mostly carbs and some fat during exercise. Lower intensity exercise will burn a higher percentage of fat then higher intensity, but still mostly carbs.

I'm afraid that it is still a myth, The science is not widely known yet so many people have not yet seen the information behind it.

I've been ketogenic a few years. For the last 6 months I have been close to eating as a carnivore; I doubt I eat more than 50g of carbs a week. I find there is no difference in my energy supply for exercise. If anything I feel like my energy is better. Last week I played a 30 minute game of basketball with the teen boys I coach. No problem. And I'm what I would call a weekend warrior who does not train consistently.

A sweeping statement that you need more carbs because that is what you burn when exercising is not right. You burn what is available and get good at burning what your body is adapted to.

If you look at Phinney and Volek's FASTER study (between endurance athletes that use carbs or fats for fuel) you can see that the amount of carbs and fats used depends only on what they are eating and used to eating.

The F.A.S.T.E.R. study from 2015
    https://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(15)00334-0/fulltext

An article discussing it:
    http://www.vespapower.com/the-emerging-science-on-fat-adaptation/

Just did a quick search and found a couple things...

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.

Ketosis is a normal metabolic process, something your body does to keep working. When it doesn't have enough carbohydrates from food for your cells to burn for energy, it burns fat instead. ... Ketosis can become dangerous when ketones build up. High levels lead to dehydration and change the chemical balance of your blood.

Seriously?

Forcing your body to do something that it does not normally do (over a couple million years of evolution) is a good thing?

And your posting this as though it is good?

And other folks may think it's a good thing and wind up having some type of negative affects from it?

And saying that the normal way a body uses energy is a myth?

HOLY COW!!!

Carbs tend to be used by the body first, possibly because there is such a narrow window of BG control needed for health - about a teaspoon of glucose in the blood. When carbs are in low supply, the body uses fats and ketones. I don't think I'd say it was "forced". The body does it automatically and naturally.

The body also uses glucose for fuel ... naturally. Although those who are fat adapted will find that the body starts to use fat more readily than glucose (unless someone eats a bunch of carbs that the body is "forced" to manage ;) ).

A medically needed ketogenic diet for epileptics is quite different than used by most people who eat keto, and hugely different than what someone who eats a LCHF would.

Many use low carb to help with other health issues though. I use it for managing insulin resistance, autoimmune diseases, migraines, low BP and reactive hypoglycemia, and pain.

Ketones only build up to dangerous levels when a Type 1 diabetic does not take insulin and their blood glucose is dangerously high too. That's called diabetic ketoacidosis. It does not happen to people without T1D, with a rare exception for uncontrolled, serious alcoholics who are not eating.

There is a lot of (more accurate) information out there on low carb, and ketosis, if you are interested.

ETA Low carb is typically thought to be under 100-150g of carbs a day. Keto is thought to be under about 50g of carbs a day. Here is an image to give you an idea of what that looks like.

6v8jgkhqvrjs.png

actually ketones can build up to a dangerous level in those with type 2,although rare and its usually those who arent treating their type 2 adequately it can happen. I posted a link in another post about it,it is not just in alcoholics who dont treat theirs https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842543/

An interesting and unusual (and unfortunate) case.
  • nvmomketo
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Ok. Now people are twisting my words.

How does "more carbs" equate to "high carbs".

I never once said that people who exercise regularly need to eat a "high carb diet". I just said "more carbs".

too many carbs is probably just as bad as too much fat.

People go from one extreme to the other instead of finding balance.

More carbs than what? I assumed you meant more carbs than low carb (100-150g of carbs a day). That would be moderate to high carb.

When I played basketball, I had not eaten more than 30g of carbs that week. I recently took a teen class on a hike in the mountains, on a multiday field trip where I had to stay with the leading 17 year olds. I stayed with them - powered only by fats and protein.

I'm not sure where you think more carbs are needed. Carb loading? Moderate or high carb as part of a regular diet? Carb cycling? Again, none of these have been shown to be needed. Some athletes could benefit, or not, from those situations. It depends on the person and situation on how much they benefit. There is no need for carbs though.