Qysmia - 2018

Replies

• sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    Doing very well!
    I was upped to the maintenance dose last week so only on that one for a few days. I've lost 8 pounds over 1 month. I'm extremely happy with results so far. No real side effects when I changed dosage. Just the dry mouth problem so I always have water at hand. No tingling thankfully - I remember it from when I took the Topamax for migraines but this is still far less than I took at that time.
    Glad to hear you are having success as well. I know this isn't for everyone but it seems to be the right choice for some of us.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    I was on Qsymia for about two weeks but had to discontinue because of one horrible side effect. I was extremely constipated. I had never had that problem in my life. Plus, I couldn't really see that it was doing anything. I am now on Topamax 50mg. The big plus of Topamax is that my insurance will pay for it. They refused to pay for Qsymia and I had to pay $100 even with the coupon. I don't really like taking medication so I'm not sure I will keep taking this one either but I've lost 20 lbs in about 5 weeks so I can't quibble with the results.

I'm glad it is working for you. A lot of people here are militant about not taking medication for weight loss. But if it works and you are happy with it...THAT is the important thing.
  • sivyaleah
    I was on Qsymia for about two weeks but had to discontinue because of one horrible side effect. I was extremely constipated. I had never had that problem in my life. Plus, I couldn't really see that it was doing anything. I am now on Topamax 50mg. The big plus of Topamax is that my insurance will pay for it. They refused to pay for Qsymia and I had to pay $100 even with the coupon. I don't really like taking medication so I'm not sure I will keep taking this one either but I've lost 20 lbs in about 5 weeks so I can't quibble with the results.

I'm glad it is working for you. A lot of people here are militant about not taking medication for weight loss. But if it works and you are happy with it...THAT is the important thing.

Glad to hear the Topamax alone works for you! I took it for many years for migraines but it never had the weight loss effect for me.

I agree that some can be judgemental about using medication. Frankly I was not thrilled when my physician suggested it to me but after researching it and thinking about the alternative (surgery) I opted to give it a try. Surgery just seemed to risky; the potential for the side effects that come with it do not mesh with my current life style of a full time working person who has a long daily commute. I kept reading about the possible need for a bathroom at a moments notice and well, that would be near impossible for me. Having already been on Topamax and knowing I managed well on it, and understanding how the other ingredient would work gave me enough confidence that I could handle it.

Also, I'd been seeing a nutritionist prior to this and she'd been very helpful in guiding me in learning portion control, better food choices and helping me with my mindset about food in general. I've never had any kind of eating disorder so even though I'm not hungry I am fully cognizant that I still need to make sure I eat 3 meals a day, and that those meals need to be balanced and nutritious - just not as large as before. I have no trouble sticking to a low calorie diet now, am satisfied and not having any cravings. I've had a huge container of chocolate on my desk at work for an entire month (a co-worker gave it to me as a gift right before I went on the Qsymia) that remains untouched by me - I hand it out to my staff when they come to me when they need a sweet pick me up :smile:
  • amynew4u
    amynew4u Posts: 47 Member
    Such good news! I’m curious as to calories. I find myself pushing to get between 1,100-1,200 and really need to keep an eye on it. I notice a change in my bathroom habits (for lack of a better phrase) if I don’t. Much like you, I remain satisfied with the slow and steady approach.
    I’m definitely not as attracted to sweets and have given up diet soda and caffeine altogether. Those are bonus ‘wins’ in this process for me.
    As I approach the 30 day mark on both phentermine and topimirate, I know this was a good choice for me.
  • CindyJNC1963
    kshama2001 wrote: »

A lot of people are militant because they've taken medication for weight loss and now regret it.

I didn't internalize healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it. And now I am on medication for heart palpitations.

Here's my favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

While I agree that some people have had problems with medications there are many others who have had success with them. I took Phentermine many years ago with no side effects. I eventually gained the weight back just like I have when I've gone on regular low calorie diets. What works/doesn't work for one person is different with someone else. If you don't agree with using medications for weight loss then just say that......but I've seen people get snarky and nasty to people who want to discuss medications. There's no need for all of that.
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2018
    The topamax didn’t work for me .. couldnt work through the brain fog. The Phentermine really helps me tho and I’ve been able to lose -which is also vital for me for bone/joint issues right now. 22 lbs w just diet so far since I started in September. Almost no exercise since I have a hip injury. On the pricing: Have your doctor prescribe the two separately and use Blink Health App to get the price down. Blink may have qsymia as well if you want the combined pill but the two separate will cost less even with Blink.

With Blink the two drugs cost me only $14/month if purchased separately (and not in the combined qsymia product.)
  • CindyJNC1963
    Exactly!! I was close to the super morbidly obese BMI range or I wouldn't have even considered Qsymia. The medication didn't agree with me but it was worth a shot.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I was on Qysmia I think it was 3 years ago. I am a diabetic type 2, so at that time was taking a bunch of medications for that as well. I bring that up, because I really think one of those medications was really duking it out with the Qysmia. I had the dry mouth, felt like sand was in my mouth. But the odd thing I had was kind of blurry vision at same time. I think I lasted two months and then decided I could not handle anymore. It did work I lost I think about 15 pounds at the time. Also I have off and on suffered from Migraines. Now on a low dose for years of the topimirate, I think 3 years now. And not losing weight from that medication, but it helps control migraines.

I agree there are different ways to lose weight. And for people who are Obese and go to their Dr's and are under close supervision if they make the choice to go on medication for a period of time. Then it is their choice. I believe they are making an informed choice. And while others may not agree, they should say not my thing but I respect your choice.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Exactly!! I was close to the super morbidly obese BMI range or I wouldn't have even considered Qsymia. The medication didn't agree with me but it was worth a shot.
    There are many here who started at obese or morbidly obese and managed to use CICO to lose weight. I was 275lb! Not everyone here who has had a say has only 20lbs to lose, and, the last 20 or so pounds is the hardest to lose, anyway.

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    There are many here who started at obese or morbidly obese and managed to use CICO to lose weight. I was 275lb! Not everyone here who has had a say has only 20lbs to lose, and, the last 20 or so pounds is the hardest to lose, anyway.

Same here - I was 267 at 5’5” - obese class 3 - 4 years ago.
    I don’t think people are posting here to shame anyone about using weight loss drugs. Instead, I think we want to share that many of us have used them but had side effects and realized you can’t use them long term to reach your ultimate goals.
    I hope it also shows that it’s not hopeless BUT it is a long process that will take consistency and patience.
  • amynew4u
    amyepdx wrote: »
    amynew4u wrote: »
    Such good news! I’m curious as to calories. I find myself pushing to get between 1,100-1,200 and really need to keep an eye on it. I notice a change in my bathroom habits (for lack of a better phrase) if I don’t. Much like you, I remain satisfied with the slow and steady approach.
    I’m definitely not as attracted to sweets and have given up diet soda and caffeine altogether. Those are bonus ‘wins’ in this process for me.
    As I approach the 30 day mark on both phentermine and topimirate, I know this was a good choice for me.

So taking weight loss drugs helped you quit something that has 0 calories - don’t quite see the benefit there...

Edited to add: former phentermine user - also gained back 40 lbs lost and 80 more.

I appreciate your feedback. In fact, as I am working through what is clearly an unhealthy relationship with food, I have identified diet soda and caffeine, specifically those with aspartame to contribute to headaches and fatigue. Further, by giving up diet soda, I am drinking exclusively water which in turn drastically lowers my sodium intake. All of these things seem quite beneficial to me and my endocrinologist, physician and nutritionist.
  • amynew4u
    I encourage everyone with Hashimotos to seek the services of a good endocrinologist who doesn't treat by numbers. Learn the symptoms of hypothyroidism, and if you still experience symptoms while medicated, insist that your dose be titrated until you are symptom-free.

There is a range of "normal" for a reason. Most of need to find a sweet spot within that "normal" in order to feel our best.
    Indeed, I do. I am in "remission" but work with an endocrinologist that trusts my intuition and symptoms rather than the numbers and normal range.
  • sivyaleah
    I'm a bit saddened that the OP's goals are so modest for herself. That she's so demoralized by previous failed attempts at weight loss that she feels as if losing a large amount of weight is impossible for her. That she is chalking up part of her success to the effects of the drug instead of her own efforts.

In part, I also understand it. When I started on this site, I was a veteran of many failed weight loss attempts over 40 years of struggling with excess pounds. I started out four years ago as Class 2 obese.

I too set a modest goal for myself that still had me in the overweight category. I was willing to settle for just being no longer obese.

I learned, though, that I had been wrong for years about how I related to food, and with some fine tuning and a willingness to learn, approached these boards and learned how to accurately count calories. The key here was that I learned to be ACCURATE. Once that happened, I saw results, and it was thrilling to have the feedback of successful weight loss resulting from my own efforts.

I kept lowering my goal weight, because success gave me the confidence in myself to believe I could achieve it.

If I could wish one thing for people who think they need weight loss drugs, it would be that they'd find the tools they need to work through their issues with food, that they learn how to accurately account for calories, and that they learn that they can, with determination (it's not about willpower, it's about consistently being committed to making small changes and being okay with yourself if you falter), succeed.

Thank you for your input.

No need to feel sorry for me though. I am not demoralized, I am quite energized and pleased with my progress and my future. I'm down a size already, and almost about to go down one more. I have donated bagfuls of clothing. That feels pretty successful to me.

Having realistic, manageable sort term goals works better for me personally. I will reassess once that is achieved. Everyone is different in their approaches to how they handle anything in life. Some tackle hardship full force, head on with gusto. Others are more cautious, taking one step at a time and evaluating periodically. Neither is right or wrong, just whatever works for you personally. You seem to be in the first category - good for you! I, am the second and yay for me.

FYI, I did not ask for the medication. This was a the suggestion of my physician who felt I was a good candidate based on my personal history of weight loss attempts over the years combined with health history and personal life style. I believe he made an educated suggestion and I made an educated acceptance.