GUIDE TO...FWB

Options
2»

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    DO clearly communicate your expectations and boundaries.

DO be respectful of their communicated expectations and boundaries.

If you aren't sure about something, even something awkward, speak the frack up and talk to them. If you can't talk to them, you shouldn't be sleeping with them.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Waayyyy back in the day I had a very successful FWB situation. We had fun while it lasted. I actually introduced him to his now wife. But I think such arrangements usually do not end so well
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Beneficial friendships are even more complicated than straight up relationships.

I've found the only way this works is to find something about the beneficial friend that you can't stand. Something that would be a deal breaker in a relationship. No constant texting. No planning too far ahead. No spending entire weekends together. No pet names except during the beneficial times. No couple selfies. Keep those walls up!
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    Beneficial friendships are even more complicated than straight up relationships.

I've found the only way this works is to find something about the beneficial friend that you can't stand. Something that would be a deal breaker in a relationship. No constant texting. No planning too far ahead. No spending entire weekends together. No pet names except during the beneficial times. No couple selfies. Keep those walls up!

Oops. Broke 2,3, 4, 5. That explains so much.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Danw586 wrote: »
    It's nice when your friend has a good benefits package. Health care and a 401k are super important.

:D:D
    In for the package.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    Danw586 wrote: »
    It's nice when your friend has a good benefits package. Health care and a 401k are super important.

So...what kind of "benefits package" do you have? I'm sure the ladies in here are a lil curious about it. 😉
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Chael2dot0 wrote: »
    FWB doesn't work in the long run so enjoy it for what it is, when it is. Better to avoid the whoel friend thing, any meaningful conversations, and focus on the benefit only, which can at least extend the time before it blows up.

This.

Pick someone with whom a real relationship is a no-go anyway. For me that was allergic to dogs, pot smoker, age difference, etc.

FB is easier to negotiate than FWB.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    Trying to set up this scenario without the consent of the other individual is a bit twisted...should be a very clearly defined relationship
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Waayyyy back in the day I had a very successful FWB situation. We had fun while it lasted. I actually introduced him to his now wife. But I think such arrangements usually do not end so well

Did the wife know about your arrangement prior to dating him? Are you still friends with both?

The wife did not know, and I am guessing she still doesn't. There was no reason for her to know. I introduced them after the "benefits" had started to fizzle, so wasn't a big deal. And yes, we are still friends.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Answers will vary here based on someone's own definition of the term. Some people think a fwb is someone you have known forever and you decide to just have sex to satisfy each other's needs. This will rarely ever work.
    I have seen a lot of men online looking for fwb. It seems almost like causally dating with no exclusivity. They want to go out to dinner or to events but ultimately the night will end in sex. They don't want to talk feelings, text every hour or meet your family. They want someone to occupy their time when mutually beneficial and then go on about their lives without being tied down. This can work as long as both people understand the end game and do not have romantic feelings for whatever reason. It's possible, but not probable to keep these people in your life after it ends

Sign me up!

Jk thats what my cats are for
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    If they don't buy you a chinese combo dinner plate, including a half order of wonton afterwards, then just say no to FWB. :/
This discussion has been closed.