Strength Training suggestions for Pear Shaped female

Options

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that there are more than just aesthetic benefits to a heavy lifting program, there are a lot of health benefits as well. Neglecting the strength and health of your lower body, your foundation, would just be stupid.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    same as for any other body shape.

squats
    dead lifts
    bench
    O.H.P

^this..

...sounds like an ideal approach to me...

...because the big 3+ are never the *wrong* answer.

I would focus on upper body strength training, doing no direct resistance weight work on the lower body unless you need strength for a sport. Do cardio, interval training, followed by steady state exercise.

Might as well just ride around everywhere on a Hoveround while you're at it.

This is complete utter bull *kitten* and I'm sick of seeing you put these lies in the forums.

OP, I am pear shaped... I follow 5/3/1 after doing Starting Strength for a while... I deadlift and squat a lot. And it's only decreased the size of my thighs and hips and improved the way my *kitten* looks. Lift for your whole body, you can't change your body type, live with it and embrace it, it doesn't effect who you are as a person or how attractive you are unless you let it.

You can't spot reduce, no amount of cardio or lifting will make you lose fat exactly where you want to. What LIFTING will do is ensure that there is firm, tight muscle there when you lose fat eventually because of deficit eating.

ETA: "body type" should not be confused with "body composition", start focusing on the latter which you CAN actually change.

And *definitely* ^this...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would focus on upper body strength training, doing no direct resistance weight work on the lower body unless you need strength for a sport. Do cardio, interval training, followed by steady state exercise.

lolno
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shaped gal and I carry ALL of my weight in hips, thighs, and butt. I have accepted the fact that I will always be shaped that way, but I am looking for ways to really tighten everything up. No matter what I do, this area never seems to change.

I work out a ton already, but I was told to increase the amount of strength training. I was hoping someone could take a look at my current routine and see where I might need to change.

Here is my current workout routine -
    Monday - Les Mills CX Worx and 1 Hour of Spin
    Tuesday - Les Mills Body Pump and HIIT training - running for 2.5 miles
    Wednesday - Les Mills Body Combat
    Thursday - Body Pump and 1 Hour of Spin
    Friday - CX Worx and HIIT Training - running for 2.5 miles
    I take either Saturday or Sunday off - but do some type of cardio for an hour on the other day

Anyone see any changes I could make to help with my problem area? Thanks so much for your help!

Hi there. I myself am pear shaped (it's a lovely thing) So I'm gonna tell you what I do for my strength training. Ready? It's a 2 week process, so here we go.

Week One:
    Monday: Squats (barbell, back), Bent over barbell rows (Technically Pendlay Rows, I believe), Bench press
    Wednesday: Squats (barbell, back) Over head press, Deadlifts
    Friday: Squats (barbell, back), Bent over barbell rows, Bench press

Week Two:
    Monday: Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlifts
    Wednesday: Squats, Bent over barbell rows, Bench Press
    Friday: Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlifts.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Also http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1057517-squats-and-big-booties-redux?hl=Big+butts+and+squats+redux

That's me, and my butt/lower half, with heavy lifting. I don't normally get all attention hore, but for the sake of clarity and showing that heavy squats (I'm going for 105lbs today. Excited) are something for everyone, even those of us with bigger bottom halfs, despite what others may say

Edit: Oh. Cardio. I do that. I walk to the store when I need stuff, I did Zumba once and Power pump once and Yoga once. Just once tho. I'm doing Couch to 5k, too. I'm a whole 3 days in. So yeah. Cardio.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Superset Apple Ups with Mango Dangling.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

This is complete utter bull *kitten* and I'm sick of seeing you put these lies in the forums.

OP, I am pear shaped... I follow 5/3/1 after doing Starting Strength for a while... I deadlift and squat a lot. And it's only decreased the size of my thighs and hips and improved the way my *kitten* looks. Lift for your whole body, you can't change your body type, live with it and embrace it, it doesn't effect who you are as a person or how attractive you are unless you let it.

You can't spot reduce, no amount of cardio or lifting will make you lose fat exactly where you want to. What LIFTING will do is ensure that there is firm, tight muscle there when you lose fat eventually because of deficit eating.

ETA: "body type" should not be confused with "body composition", start focusing on the latter which you CAN actually change.

^^ Yep
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

squats
    dead lifts
    bench
    O.H.P

This. Simple.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

^^^Worst *kitten* advice ever.

I carry all my weigh from the waist down. I agree with some solid strength training. I love bodypump, (so much that i became an instructor a few years ago) and while it will help you with some basic beginning strength (and i disagree that it would enhance injury) it is endurance lifting or cardio lifting . Put some power into it, I'm a big fan or "new rules of lifting for women." I love spin for butt lifting, if you are lifting properly, I find ab classes pointless. The lower you get your body fat percentage, the more your bottom half will lean out. For body contouring, to get that hour glass illusion, put some weights in your hands and get some back and shoulder work done.

As far as maxing out a bodypump bar at 30 pounds, I don't know where that's coming from, I squat 60 pounds in a class when I teach. Granted its not the 175 I was squatting in the weight room this morning, but it's definitely not 30 pounds either.

Cardio? I do cardio. I run and teach bodystep. My routine? Monday: lift legs & teach step, Tuesday: run, lift upper, step, Wednesday: pump, stairmill; Thursday: run & arms; Friday: legs; Saturday: either teach step & pump or lift shoulders & back & run. Sunday either rest or long run.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

squats
    dead lifts
    bench
    O.H.P

This. Simple.

LOL I'm big fan of the KISS method... it just you know... WORKS... so danm well. LMAO
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    <
    Pear shaped. Very pear shaped. Embrace your shape and, like others have said, focus on HEAVY liftting. Squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc.
    I've been heavy lifting for almost a year and it's only made my lower body better. I'll forever have a larger bottom half than my top. Even with my arms and back getting more strong/muscular. I've yet to hear one complaint from my husband about my "pear" shapeliness ;)
  • alyngard
    alyngard Posts: 103
    Options
    Bump
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    <
    Pear shaped. Very pear shaped. Embrace your shape and, like others have said, focus on HEAVY liftting. Squats, deadlifts, lunges, etc.
    I've been heavy lifting for almost a year and it's only made my lower body better. I'll forever have a larger bottom half than my top. Even with my arms and back getting more strong/muscular. I've yet to hear one complaint from my husband about my "pear" shapeliness ;)

And I doubt you ever will...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Why are you advising the OP to neglect her entire lower body which would lead to a severe an obvious muscular imbalance once she reaches her desired body fat goal?

lack of understanding of how resistance training functions I presume.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    1 stop thinking your current shape affects your optimal routine
    2 stop accepting that you can't significantly change your physique
    3 stop confusing body pump for actual strength training

5 start making time in your routine for a serious-business, progressive loading, strength training routine while making sure you're in a calorie deficit

What was 4?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

5 start making time in your routine for a serious-business, progressive loading, strength training routine while making sure you're in a calorie deficit

What was 4?

Heh
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

What was 4?

I plead the 5th
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Fail
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

squats
    dead lifts
    bench
    O.H.P

YES :happy:

no :angry:

Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

The body pump maxes out with 30 pounds of weights plus a barbell that weighs maybe 2 pounds. With that program you're more likely to get a cardio and endurance program, but not one that will help you reach your goals.

I'm a former pear shape that is now an hourglass. Heavy lifting made my hips and thighs smaller and tighter, and my shoulders and back more sculpted.

I'm not saying give up Les Mills Pump, but just saying that you are better off doing it once or twice a week as a supplement to a heavy, progressive-loading strength program. You'll probably get optimal results if you keep it but do it less.

Same as for any other shape or gender

Not true.

NO :noway: