CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    same as for any other body shape.

squats
    dead lifts
    bench
    O.H.P

YES :happy:

I would focus on upper body strength training, doing no direct resistance weight work on the lower body unless you need strength for a sport. Do cardio, interval training, followed by steady state exercise.

no :angry:

1 stop thinking your current shape affects your optimal routine
    2 stop accepting that you can't significantly change your physique
    3 stop confusing body pump for actual strength training

5 start making time in your routine for a serious-business, progressive loading, strength training routine while making sure you're in a calorie deficit

Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

The body pump maxes out with 30 pounds of weights plus a barbell that weighs maybe 2 pounds. With that program you're more likely to get a cardio and endurance program, but not one that will help you reach your goals.

I'm a former pear shape that is now an hourglass. Heavy lifting made my hips and thighs smaller and tighter, and my shoulders and back more sculpted.

I'm not saying give up Les Mills Pump, but just saying that you are better off doing it once or twice a week as a supplement to a heavy, progressive-loading strength program. You'll probably get optimal results if you keep it but do it less.

Same as for any other shape or gender

Not true.

NO :noway:

OP, I am pear shaped... I follow 5/3/1 after doing Starting Strength for a while... I deadlift and squat a lot. And it's only decreased the size of my thighs and hips and improved the way my *kitten* looks. Lift for your whole body, you can't change your body type, live with it and embrace it, it doesn't effect who you are as a person or how attractive you are unless you let it.

You can't spot reduce, no amount of cardio or lifting will make you lose fat exactly where you want to. What LIFTING will do is ensure that there is firm, tight muscle there when you lose fat eventually because of deficit eating.

ETA: "body type" should not be confused with "body composition", start focusing on the latter which you CAN actually change.

This is exactly the summary that people need to see.

signed, pear shaped lady.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to echo the heavier lifting. The heavier, the better if you are only doing like 25 lbs squats right now. You will be amazed at what your body can do, and it will REALLY increase your running capabilities.

Just learn how to properly use the machines and have a trainer show you where to start. Once you have the basics, you can go up in weight.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    Body Pump and cx cover squats and bench and dead lifts - still no changes. don't know what ohp is....

Body pump is not the same as free weight or barbell training in the weight room.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

5 start making time in your routine for a serious-business, progressive loading, strength training routine while making sure you're in a calorie deficit

Yes.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

You said you were pear shaped. You're an adult, I assume you know what your own shape is when you are a normal weight. I also assume you know the definition of being pear or triangle shaped. If that's really your shape you may be able to turn yourself into a smaller version through diet and exercise, but you are not going to magically transfer large amounts of fat to other parts of your body. Where you deposit fat is determined by genetics and hormones. Men and women have different hormone profiles. Even from woman to woman there are significant differences in body fat distribution and muscular development. We don't have control over all of these factors no matter what people say here. The best way to get the results you want is to be realistic about what you can achieve.

You may be able to balance your shape a little better with upper body work. That is the classic advice for triangle shaped women.

There have been women on the forum who say they've turned themselves into hourglass shapes but when I read the measurements they post it's plain that they don't now what an hourglass shape is. It's a body with a bust and hip that are the same size with a significantly smaller waist, usually at least 8 to 9 inches smaller. The classic difference was 10 inches.

If you search the forums you will see that from time to time other pear shaped women have given the exact same advice. They've said that heavy lifting on their lower half actually gave them bigger hips and thighs, which was not what they wanted.

As with everything involving diet and exercise, you will have to judge from your own experience.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you search the forums you will see that from time to time other pear shaped women have given the exact same advice. They've said that heavy lifting on their lower half actually gave them bigger hips and thighs, which was not what they wanted.

And you'll also see that the women who claim this never show photos. :indifferent:

I've never seen anyone actually SHOW that they got bigger hips and thighs from lifting, unless they've bulked or gained weight.

Even gaining weight, and two years of lifting, my hips and thighs aren't any bigger.

IMG_1026-copy_zps09f3ba21.jpg

IMG_1034-copy_zps9401df43.jpg

IMG_1028-copy_zpscfb487eb.jpg

Before this recent gain (thanks, depo provera! :grumble: ) lifting just made me smaller and more firm.

IMG_1297-copy.jpg

IMG_1293-copy.jpg
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Completely pear-shaped as well. Front squats and leg press machine have helped tone my pear. Still the same shape, but it's a smaller pear now.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shaped gal and I carry ALL of my weight in hips, thighs, and butt. I have accepted the fact that I will always be shaped that way, but I am looking for ways to really tighten everything up. No matter what I do, this area never seems to change.

Embrace it.
    Your shape will always be the same.
    Don't look for change that won't happen.
    Nothing wrong with a little jiggle in all the right places.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Superset Apple Ups with Mango Dangling.

I don't know what this means but they're making me a little hungry and horny...horngry?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

What was 4?

I plead the 5th

I'm a psychic apparently as I've been told on this site by another member. I rubbed my head against the comp and stuck my crystal ball up my macro's and have concluded....I believe "4" was to be

"Eat all teh foodz"
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

You said you were pear shaped. You're an adult, I assume you know what your own shape is when you are a normal weight. I also assume you know the definition of being pear or triangle shaped. If that's really your shape you may be able to turn yourself into a smaller version through diet and exercise, but you are not going to magically transfer large amounts of fat to other parts of your body. Where you deposit fat is determined by genetics and hormones. Men and women have different hormone profiles. Even from woman to woman there are significant differences in body fat distribution and muscular development. We don't have control over all of these factors no matter what people say here. The best way to get the results you want is to be realistic about what you can achieve.

You may be able to balance your shape a little better with upper body work. That is the classic advice for triangle shaped women.

There have been women on the forum who say they've turned themselves into hourglass shapes but when I read the measurements they post it's plain that they don't now what an hourglass shape is. It's a body with a bust and hip that are the same size with a significantly smaller waist, usually at least 8 to 9 inches smaller. The classic difference was 10 inches.

As with everything involving diet and exercise, you will have to judge from your own experience.

There's a huge logic flaw here. You won't get bigger muscles on a calorie deficit. When you first start a lifting program, the muscles can initially swell for a while, but it's just water and it deflates once your body gets used to your lifting program. The people that *claim* their hips and thighs got bigger are mistaken- they just got briefly swollen and they freaked out and quit prematurely. Had they stuck with it, the swelling would have gone down and they would eventually see the results they wanted. It's the same reason people gain a few lbs on the scale when they start lifting. It's just part of the process.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

i'd like to politely and respectfully point out the glaring omission in the bolded statement.

actually, if the OP searches the forums, what she will find is hundreds, nay thousands, of posts from pear shaped women that will say how heavy lifting, including for their lower half, helped them get better, shapelier, and smaller hips and thighs. Hundreds of those posts will also include pictures and/or measurements as proof. Those posts will also have pages of responses from other women that say, "Hell yes, it worked for me too!"

at the same time the OP is reading and bookmarking thousands of success posts, she will in fact uncover dozens, perhaps a few hundred posts where a woman says lifting in a calorie deficit made her thighs bigger. unfortunately, none of those posts will have before and after pictures or measurements, despite many people repeatedly asking for them.

so.....we can go roundy round with various interpretations of what this or that fruit-based shape actually means. but if, instead of talkin bout citrus, what you really want is to lose fat, lower your dress size, look fantastic in tight jeans, and have increased functional strength for your day to day life, then you'll want to listen to people that have had visible, provable success and ignore those that choose to ignore science, facts, and an overwhelming preponderance of evidence.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I would focus on upper body strength training, doing no direct resistance weight work on the lower body unless you need strength for a sport. Do cardio, interval training, followed by steady state exercise.

http://cdn-usa.gagbay.com/2013/02/friends_dont_let_friends_skip_leg_day-231792.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Same as for any other shape or gender

This. I'm also a pear. Strong Lifts 5x5 is my favorite.

The only time lifting made my thighs bigger was when I was eating 3000+ calories a day.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

The body pump maxes out with 30 pounds of weights plus a barbell that weighs maybe 2 pounds. With that program you're more likely to get a cardio and endurance program, but not one that will help you reach your goals.

I'm a former pear shape that is now an hourglass. Heavy lifting made my hips and thighs smaller and tighter, and my shoulders and back more sculpted.

I'm not saying give up Les Mills Pump, but just saying that you are better off doing it once or twice a week as a supplement to a heavy, progressive-loading strength program. You'll probably get optimal results if you keep it but do it less.

Same here. Former pear, current hourglass thanks to heavy, progressive lifting on the boys' side of the gym.

Me 3. Former pear, current hourglass. Dropped 20lbs and 4 pant sizes with lifting heavy and cardio 3x weekly. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women!
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am a pear shaped gal and I carry ALL of my weight in hips, thighs, and butt. I have accepted the fact that I will always be shaped that way, but I am looking for ways to really tighten everything up. No matter what I do, this area never seems to change.

I work out a ton already, but I was told to increase the amount of strength training. I was hoping someone could take a look at my current routine and see where I might need to change.

Weighted hip thrusts ...

http://bretcontreras.com/a-strong-booty-is-a-healthy-booty/

I've been doing them for about a month, and I'm already up to 130 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps. That is heavier than my squats and deadlifts. And I'm seeing changes in my pear shaped body.

Try it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I work out a ton already, but I was told to increase the amount of strength training. I was hoping someone could take a look at my current routine and see where I might need to change.

Weighted hip thrusts ...

http://bretcontreras.com/a-strong-booty-is-a-healthy-booty/

I've been doing them for about a month, and I'm already up to 130 pounds, 3 sets of 15 reps. That is heavier than my squats and deadlifts. And I'm seeing changes in my pear shaped body.

Try it.

That link...

...wow.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

And you'll also see that the women who claim this never show photos. :indifferent:

I've never seen anyone actually SHOW that they got bigger hips and thighs from lifting, unless they've bulked or gained weight.

Even gaining weight, and two years of lifting, my hips and thighs aren't any bigger.

IMG_1026-copy_zps09f3ba21.jpg

IMG_1034-copy_zps9401df43.jpg

IMG_1028-copy_zpscfb487eb.jpg

Before this recent gain (thanks, depo provera! :grumble: ) lifting just made me smaller and more firm.

IMG_1297-copy.jpg

IMG_1293-copy.jpg

I have seen these photos so often, in so many threads, I practically have them memorised.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Or, you can take advice from someone who went from a 37 30 42 (44 at my largest) to a 36 26 36.5 Usually it's a 36 26 36, but I'm on a bulk, and actually trying to gain muscle and fat.

It's a loss of body fat and a gain of muscle. I gained muscle all over. I lost body fat where I stored it, which was in my enormous butt. The muscle in my butt takes up a lot less space than the fat did. I didn't have much fat on my upper body at all, so there wasn't nearly as much to lose up there.

The advice you're giving her is for cardio and for women who have historically been afraid of lifting. And women who get bigger hips and thighs while lifting haven't lost the body fat or they're simply retaining water. I cardio lost my way down into a smaller pear, but even then with fat loss it wasn't an extreme pear. It was 36 27 39.

Obviously, OP can't control her chest size but she absolutely can control her body composition with time, time, time and effort.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

I can't tell you how many times this has been a boderline-dysmorphic claim. These women also often don't take measurements of their body to verify this, it just "seems" like their hips/butt/legs are bigger. Or, sometimes they'll lift for a week, notice their clothes aren't fitting the same, and not understand that ANY new workout routine (particularly progressive heavy lifting) leads to water retention for the first several weeks.

Thanks for discrediting women on here for their bodies, though. They do understand what hourglasses are, and hell, I've seen enough of their pictures to know that their measurements fit that exact specification. Where, exactly, are all the pictures of women who have become lower-body giants after weight lifting?