70 days / 20 lbs till New Year's Day challenge

Options
lowcarbmale
lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
edited October 2018 in Challenges
Hello everyone,

this is my first thread. I saw the 12 weeks till Christmas challenge and really liked it. Sadly, I joined a little bit to late to participate in it. Therefore I am starting a new challenge and everybody is invited to take this journey with me.

This year I'm going to outsmart the danger of new year's resolutions and have it completed before the new years starts on January 1st

My current weight is 91kg / 200 lbs (male, 185cm) and my goal is to lose 20 lbs until New Year's Day.
My goal is to workout every morning for no more than 60 minutes including the short run to the gym. My diet will be low carb / low lectins. For the first time in my life I want to achieve a real sixpack.

To keep myself accountable I will measure my weight every morning and post it here with a picture of my upper body (without the face :D ).

[Edited by MFP Mods]

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    https://www.fitwatch.com/blog/the-2-pounds-per-week-rule-and-how-to-burn-fat-faster

Starting at 200lbs, with only 10 weeks, you'll be working hard to lose 20lbs. Don't be discouraged if it takes longer. Be smart and careful. Good luck.
  • lowcarbmale
    Options
    thank you :smile:
  • lowcarbmale
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Day One
    Here we go. I only had a light soup for dinner last night and no breakfast this morning.

Day 1: 195.5lbs
    Target: -20lbs -> 175.5 lbs (77.3kg) .
    cewtgsz50fca.jpg
    z218ev1qeq96.jpg

Up next: morning workout :)

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good way to lose muscle...
  • lowcarbmale
    Options
    I have about 16% bodyfat according to my scale. If was considering sticking with the original plan (175lbs / 79.3kg) but then it wouldn't be a 25lbs challenge. I agree 170.3lbs is pretty ambitious. Let's do it :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Day One
    Here we go. I only had a light soup for dinner last night and no breakfast this morning.

Day 1: 195.5lbs
    Target: -25lbs -> 170.5 lbs (77.3kg) .
    cewtgsz50fca.jpg
    z218ev1qeq96.jpg

Up next: morning workout :)

It...kinda sounds like you're starving yourself. Think about what your goals really are, as in, what do you want your body to be/do for the rest of your life? You genuinely risk damaging your health by what you're doing.
  • lowcarbmale
    Options
    Myfitnesspal tells me that I can eat 1570 kcal / day. No too bad since I plan getting all my carbs from vegetables and in intermittent fasting style. That's a pretty big meal.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I actually hope to gain some lean muscle during that time.

really? good luck with that then.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options

I actually hope to gain some lean muscle during that time.

Not happening on 1570 per day!
  • lowcarbmale
    Options
    Ok ok guys. I'll add some more numbers tomorrow including body fat and muscle mass in the different body regions.
    eqzot33ts9x9.png
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Ok ok guys. I'll add some more numbers tomorrow including body fat and muscle mass in the different body regions.
    eqzot33ts9x9.png

Lifting people up doesn't generally happen by encouraging people to continue with plans to starve themselves and expecting to build muscle in an aggressive deficit.

Building muscle requires an energy surplus which requires you to be eating more calories, not less.

Your TDEE even at sedentary, with your current stats is around 2550 so by eating as little as you are you are in a 1000 calorie deficit. That sort of deficit is only suitable for someone who is obese, you're not.

When you have that steep of a deficit and you're a normal weight, your body can only metabolise a certain amount of fat, and will then start burning other readily available fuels such as muscle..... you see where we are going with this?

• starrynightskys
    starrynightskys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Don't feed the troll guys :D:D
  • lowcarbmale
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Day 1: Stats after first workout.
    I don't assume 100% accuracy of these stats. Measurement errors should average out over time but I expect these values to go up and down a little bit from day to day.

Total body fat: 16%
    Right arm: 10.7%
    Left arm: 11.3%
    Trunk: 17.3% <- reducing this is my main goal
    Right Leg: 16.8%
    Left Leg: 15.5%

Total muscle: 156.6lb
    Right Arm: 10.2lb
    Left arm: 10.4lb
    Trunk: 84.8lb
    Right Leg: 25.8lb
    Left leg: 26.2lb

Fat:
    humpmx1m4dgp.jpg

Muscle:
    y0spfb63jn3j.jpg

• lowcarbmale
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Day 1: 195.5 lbs / 156.6 lbs muscle /16%
    Day 2: 195.6 lbs / 159.4 lbs muscle /14.3% (the muscle / fat can obviously not be 100% accurate on this scale)

Summary Day 1: No weight loss so far, but I feel like the workout brought some more water into the muscles.

viixhjpwrcow.jpg
    xgm55k3vatp6.jpg

Time for the morning workout :smile:

• TavistockToad
    Options
    you were expecting visual difference in ONE day? :huh:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Pretty aggressive deficit regiment for someone who is not morbidly obese. I hope you're keeping up your protein levels.

I've generally heard recommended that people in an aggressive deficit may want to limit cardio and emphasize the retention of their strength by strength training at a lower volume but equal intensity/weights to how they were strength training before the deficit.
  • lowcarbmale
    edited October 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Pretty aggressive deficit regiment for someone who is not morbidly obese. I hope you're keeping up your protein levels.

I've generally heard recommended that people in an aggressive deficit may want to limit cardio and emphasize the retention of their strength by strength training at a lower volume but equal intensity/weights to how they were strength training before the deficit.

I've had 106 grams of protein and 66 grams of fat yesterday plus a lot of salad and spinach shake. I'm trying to limit the amount of cardio and focus on HIT. I think the 20 minutes of running to the gym and back should be enough cardio. It's also a good warmup and cooldown exercise for me. If during the time I feel like doing some cardio too I would probably add a short run (10K) or a spinning class from time to time.
  • lowcarbmale
    Options
    Day 3

Day 1: 195.5 lbs / 156.6 lbs muscle /16% fat
    Day 2: 195.6 lbs / 159.4 lbs muscle /14.3% fat
    Day 3: 194.4 lbs / 156.2 lbs muscle / 15.5% fat *
    *Measurement errors in fat and muscle mass are expected to be +-2%. The trend will average out over time.

mjx6c4rompbu.jpg
    5y88gzokjzfz.jpg

Time for the morning workout :smile: