People Bashing MFP, How do I react to them

Options
What do you guys say to people who bash you for using myfitnesspal and counting calories. I’ve had people tell me “you cant count calories forever” you should do keto or do this or that ect ect. I’m upset and I know I shouldnt but I am because this site has helped me so much and those people have no idea how supportive we are here.

Replies

• lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone & @ACanadian22 Amazing payback i love it!! @jdubois5351 @pinuplove thank you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why do people need to know? Why do you talk about it? Pretty much my wife and later my trainer and his wife were the only ones who knew I was counting calories at that time (I haven't in a long time)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't see what's to get upset over. I've never had anyone say anything negative about me counting calories. I've had people say things like "I could never do that" or "that sounds like too much work" or things like that. However I don't really mention it to people, just every so often as it comes up in conversation. If someone said "You shouldn't count calories" I'd just say ok, and move on.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    What do you guys say to people who bash you for using myfitnesspal and counting calories. I’ve had people tell me “you cant count calories forever” you should do keto or do this or that ect ect. I’m upset and I know I shouldnt but I am because this site has helped me so much and those people have no idea how supportive we are here.

Bashing myfitnesspal not so much. What I've discovered as a support system for a sister-friend's commitment to dropping weight before her wedding, is how difficult accountability truly is. Having to be conscious of her estimates, from the least to the most calories she is to allow herself on the daily to start, is torturesome. I can clearly see that she's been consuming close to 1.5K calories more than her drop weight allotment of calories on average daily, with the mass she's accumulated since she'd stopped watching her numbers, whilst eating more of her dietary preference.

I rarely talk to her about it for I have a low dial of tolerance when someone I know opts in to drop weight only to quit prematurely. When she'd last broached the subject with me (which is a rarity), I'd had to tell her, that to drop weight and to commit to what she clearly knows is necessary, if she presently lacks the motivation to stick to it with all the distractions (relationship/small business startup/custody issues@step-child), it's best she lays off of it, until she is fully determined to achieve her ideal weight, for herself, in her own time, at her own pace, under accommodating conditions.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I ignore them! Who cares if I don't count calories for forever? Right now, that's what I'm doing and I'm going to keep doing it as long as I please... much like their keto or juice cleanse or gluten free or whatever else they may be doing.

I try not to listen to anyone who bashes me, period. (Easier said than done, but still)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Say "okay" and walk away every time they bring it up. Eventually they will stop.

And don't take it to heart or give them space in your head. You aren't doing this for them, you are doing it for you so their opinion doesn't count at all.
  • ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE
    ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    I ignore them! Who cares if I don't count calories for forever? Right now, that's what I'm doing and I'm going to keep doing it as long as I please... much like their keto or juice cleanse or gluten free or whatever else they may be doing.

I try not to listen to anyone who bashes me, period. (Easier said than done, but still)

Completely support this. This is YOUR journey. This is YOUR life. Many people will have differing opinions. If it works for you, stick to it. Wish them luck with their journey.