Coffee (Nescafe Classic) caffeine content?

Options
DvoycY
DvoycY Posts: 38 Member
I have decided to use coffee on my non-workout days instead of a PWO to save some money (it is at least twice cheaper, as well as me only needing the caffeine (and not the other ingredients - when not hitting the gym)).

I am using a 5cc scoop (from MyProtein) to measure and a scale (Salter, so should be decent, although the weights in question are rather small). Using two relatively flat scoops I am getting 3 grams of coffee. My question is how much caffeine is it approximately? I have read after Googling that 2 grams are approx 50mg of caffeine, with 3g then being 75mg - was expecting more...

Before that I have used two cutlery tea spoons and it seemed that the volume was less - I am concerned how now 2 of 5cc scoops gives only 3 grams.

For comparison, on my workout days the PWO (MyProtein Pre-Workout Blend/PULSE® V5) provides about 150mg of caffeine, and this seems to be fine after taking it in the morning and hitting the gym soon after.

I am feeling fine right now but does it seem like a decent balance of 75mg on non-workout and 150mg on workout days? My other concern is that I am calculating the coffee caffeine wrong and would hate to be wrong, upping my intake and ending up like on 400mg of caffeine. :-)

Lastly, since starting doing the following three things recently and simultaneously my appetite went down tremendously, just an anecdote: caffeine in the morning (about 100mg), chewing gum throughout the day (one at a time, ending up using a couple throughout the day - also burns like 100 calories per day?), eating a kilogram of vegetables per day (plenty of fiber - it is 9 cucumbers and 3 carrots). Just an interesting observation! I am on a cheat-day cycle and I have no problem staying 1000 under my maintenance while not being super active.

Replies

• Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    To get from grams to mg you do a simple conversion # / 10^-3 . Now if you want to find a higher number like kilo you will do # / 10^3
  • DvoycY
    DvoycY Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    After a further search, using self.com and usda.gov, it seems that the caffeine content is about 30mg per 1g of product. Another interesting thing - each tablespoon of coffee is listed as 1g, likely due to its light weight, with 2 5cc scoops should then equating to 2g (60mg of caffeine).

Although there are a couple of mentions, "According to the USDA*, 1 rounded teaspoon of instant coffee (1.8 grams in weight) contains 57 mg of caffeine", meaning that 10cc should be about 3-4, close to my observation, just under 100mg of caffeine.