Anyone Weigh in Every Day?

Options

Replies

• GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Topic: Anyone Weigh in Every Day?

I LIKE THIS IDEA OF AVERAGING YOUR WEIGHT WEEKLY, THAT SEEMS MORE TRIED AND TRUE. I WEIGH WEEKLY FIRST THING IN THE AM, IN MY BIRTHDAY SUIT, NOW THATS A SIGHT FOR YOU!!! LOL, I USE MY WEEKLY WEIGHT AS MY GOAL WT (IM GOING TO START AVERAGING IT STARTING FROM LAST WEEK, AND IM GOING TO DO THE SAME WITH MY MONTHLY WT AS WELL AS MY WEIGHT ON THE 1ST DAY OF THE MONTH) THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION... I LIKE TO KEEP TRACK OF IT DAILY SO THAT IF I NEED TO MAKE ANY ADJUSTMENTS I CAN LOOK BACK AT MY DIARY AND NOTES AND HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE REASONS IM EITHER LOSING OR GAINING AND TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY PATTERNS OR REASONS TO WHY. :flowerforyou:
    I weigh myself daily but I take the long-term picture into account. I got into the habit of daily weighing in 2001-2002. During that weight loss I took a weekly average:
    8058380998_ed08a62411_b.jpg

The averages give a smoother decrease than either daily or weekly numbers because the fluctuations are evened out.

These days I log only a decrease in weight. Here's what that looks like:
    9438601206_5697c632db_z.jpg

The slope of my weight loss keeps getting shallower as I get closer to goal, meaning my rate of loss keeps getting slower. (This is natural and is to be expected.) I've just dropped another half pound since July 12, after a 28-day plateau. During plateaus my weight fluctuates up and back down, before it drops again. Sure I feel impatient from time to time, but I know I'm doing the right things and I'm cool with that. I'll get there when I get there.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    for me i weighing every once a week or once a month or once year,,

because losing weight takes a lot of time,dedication,hardwork & patience
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    I do *because* I know it could fluctuate by four pounds on a day to day basis. If I pick the wrong day, it's going to look like I gained weight when I actually lost weight. It makes for a noisy curve, but the downward trend is there all the same.
    Exactly - people saying to only do it once per week because of the fluctuations - that makes no sense!

I weigh every morning just to get a general idea, but I only write it down on Mondays (or if I miss that for whatever reason I take Sundays or Tuesdays)
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do weigh in every day - I feel like it helps keep me on healthy foods and exercise and whatnot. If my diet and exercise are right and I step on the scale and it goes up, I ignore that number, because I know if I'm doing everything right then a higher number is just an anomaly. I only track my weight when the number drops. :)
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes. It helps me stay on track. I will probably still weigh in everyday even after I reach my goal.
  • Skydaver
    Skydaver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigh in & log person. There are lots of ways to record it; I use The Hacker's Diet. That program plots your weigh in values, and your average (a 10 day weighted moving average)

I'll post my chart since March (when I started, but just before I started MFP) as soon as I figure out how to post pictures.

Let's see if this works:
    5910908316521653202?authkey=CIKs37GvuoP-lQE&pid=5910908316521653202&oid=110542479265736697332

Dang it, doing something wrong
    What about just putting the link?
    https://plus.google.com/photos/110542479265736697332/albums/5910908309252963185/5910908316521653202?authkey=CIKs37GvuoP-lQE&pid=5910908316521653202&oid=110542479265736697332
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning to help maintain my water weight an to know if I have had to much sodium the day before. I use to get discouraged but the more I learned about how weight varies I used it to motivate. I will also gain after intense lifting sessions.
  • thinalas
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday in the AM. For me, if I am the same weight more than 2 or 3 days in a row, I need to change something. If I have seen that I have lost a pound or even less than a pound, it encourages me to do good for that day because I want to keep the weight loss by the next AM. If I have gained any amount of weight, and my eating was good, then for me this means I need to drink more water.
  • terryrh
    terryrh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You'll get people on here saying yes and saying no, really it depends on you - if you are looking to see losses every time you weigh then weigh once a week if you are interested in seeing the trends and fluctuations then try weighing every day

I weigh every day now because its interesting to see how things change day to day and it also desensitizes me a bit so i dont get super bumbed out if i gain a small amount
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I also weigh every day first thing in the morning. No more ignoring the scale and letting the pounds creep up and having to start over. done that one too many times. Hopefully this is the time that sticks and I will weight every day.:embarassed:
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yep, every morning. Lot's of people say it's a bad idea, but it works for me. You can get a good idea of water weight and post-exercise fluctuations that way, too.
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do it 5 days a week. It shows me whether I am retaining fluid or no. If I go up more than 2 lbs, I figure I must be eating too much. It sounds obsessive, but if I don't weigh in I get paranoid... I consider my weight more of a posiitve reinforcement than a ritual.
  • Angiehankins77
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, but only record my weight every Friday. It holds me accountable and I don't freak out any more over the fluctuations or get too excited about big drops. It varies daily and I still lose half # to 1 # per week
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I used too and got really uptight about the ups and downs---SOOOO my trainer took it from me and now I get to visit it once a week for my log in. I will admit--there is a lot less stress about the ups and downs and NOW I can see progress
  • davidbur
    davidbur Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight 5 years ago (52 lbs) before joining myfitnesspal and "Yes" I weigh in every morning. Weighing in has helped me to keep the weight off. More important, myfitness pal is awesome for helping me maintain my weight through watching calories, exercise, etc... I also watch Sodium because of an ongoing health condition. I love the way myfitnesspal watches all of the important nutrients.
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    It really is a matter of personal preference. I do weigh every morning but don't record my weight every morning. I am aware that there are normal fluctuations across the week and month so I keep that in mind when there is an increase.
  • mdouhan
    mdouhan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sure I do it every day, just to know how different foods affect me, as long as the weekly trend is down I don't get frustrated
  • SuperHero_Girl
    SuperHero_Girl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just got a neat new scale that measures a number of things other than weight and BMI, so I just recently started weighing myself after I've woken up and gone to the bathroom, but before doing anything else like showering or having breakfast. I've only been doing it for 3 days at this point, and all 3 weigh-ins showed a loss, so I have been, so far, tracking it here on MFP. Not sure if I'm going to track any gains here yet, but I think I'd at least try to track gains in a separate app for the purpose of compiling data.

I also have decided to take my measurements every so often. I'm aiming for once a week, but my work schedule can be a little weird, so there ended up being a 12 day gap between my starting measurements and my first "measure-in", so to speak. Hopefully I can become more consistent with taking the measurements and also logging those so that, if I'm not seeing a downward trend in weight, I can at least see a downward trend in measurements, (and, if i don't, I can at least take a look at my week and see why there might not be a downward trend).

I don't think I will personally become discouraged if I don't like what I see this time around because I know I'm fully capable of losing the weight based on my initial attempt at it here on MFP.
  • heatheraugust03
    heatheraugust03 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday I feel it keeps me on track. If I eat a big burger and weigh myself in the morning, I know why. lol But I can see how its unhealthy but it works for me.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings BMI scale with Wi-Fi so it makes it very easy for me to weigh in everyday and get my stats sent to my MFP. For me it's all about the data which allows me to police my habits and tweek when necessary. Some people may think that to be TMI and possibly disheartening but it doesn't bother me.
This discussion has been closed.