Parties and weight loss

Options
Kimmotion5783
Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
edited October 2018 in Motivation and Support
Ever since I have lost all this weight, something strange happened: I went from people telling me to stay away from the sweets at parties to practically begging me to have a piece of cake with them.

Last time I went to church, a lady literally yelled at me to stay and have some cake. She actually yelled at me, true story. I was mortified and quickly left.

This morning, I attended a coworker friend's birthday party at work and when I got the usual "Oh won't you please have some cake?" I politely declined. Another coworker then guilt-tripped me in front of everyone by saying "You're making the rest of us feel bad". Seriously!?! I took some fruit just to shut them up. It was so unfair and completely judgmental of her to say that. I didn't decline cake to make people feel bad, I'm just trying to hit my mini goal of being out of my obesity range by Thanksgiving. I'm only 13 pounds away, not going to sabotage it for a piece of birthday cake. If it weren't for that reason, I'd just eat the damn cake. It's just so rude of people to say stuff like that and pressure you into eating crap when you don't want to. This is why I avoid office parties! Like if you offer someone cake and they say "no thank you", then just be like "okay, it's there if you want it, just help yourself" and back off. You don't guilt people into it. Maybe there's a reason they're saying no, so just realize it's not all about you.

Anyway, when I was obese, people actually told me to my face "oh girl, you don't need to eat that. You don't need cake." No really, someone actually said that to me.

Now I have people telling me to have some cake when I DEFINITELY don't need or want any, and they're being rude about it. The irony isn't lost on me. I'm starting to hate office parties because of this.

Replies

• Kimmotion5783
    Options
    So I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been through anything like this where you politely say no to foods you know will throw you off course and someone guilt tripped you and/or made you feel bad about it? How did you handle that situation? What did you do?
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    If it wasn't for this stupid effing obesity, things would be fine and normal! (sorry, but the whole office party thing got me super upset. It was really embarassing!)
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I understand. I'm starting to get into that weight class. I still have 34 lbs to go and people tell me to "go ahead, have some...". There is a compromise solution. If you have calories, take a very thin slice. Something that equates to a couple bites, or a small taste. You can be "with the crowd" without overeating. Or, if they really insist on giving you a larger piece, take a bite and throw the rest out when no one is looking. Or, take it, say you'll enjoy it later, bring it to your desk, and get rid of it later. This is of course, based on if you are ok with resisting temptation that close at hand.

Or, if you really want/need to avoid it altogether (and can't handle the temptation), tell them "I need to avoid sugar right now because...." I'll leave the remainder up to you. As long as you are avoiding sugar overall, it shouldn't be an issue. If you are/were (pre-)diabetic, they would have to back off as well. Then it's medical.

You are doing excellent. Don't let the fools bring you down.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I understand. I'm starting to get into that weight class. I still have 34 lbs to go and people tell me to "go ahead, have some...". There is a compromise solution. If you have calories, take a very thin slice. Something that equates to a couple bites, or a small taste. You can be "with the crowd" without overeating. Or, if they really insist on giving you a larger piece, take a bite and throw the rest out when no one is looking. Or, take it, say you'll enjoy it later, bring it to your desk, and get rid of it later. This is of course, based on if you are ok with resisting temptation that close at hand.

Or, if you really want/need to avoid it altogether (and can't handle the temptation), tell them "I need to avoid sugar right now because...." I'll leave the remainder up to you. As long as you are avoiding sugar overall, it shouldn't be an issue. If you are/were (pre-)diabetic, they would have to back off as well. Then it's medical.

Yeah I get "Well you don't eat like that all the time so once in a while its OK" the person telling me that eats badly most of the time but probably thinks they only do it once in a while. I just don't let it get to me. When people say things like that it is more about them than you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    I’ve always been amazed at this- when I was 285 lbs, 1 person, exactly 1, said something to the effect that maybe I ought to lose a bit of weight before I seriously hurt myself. My best friend said that.

But once I started to lose weight, it seemed like EVERYBODY had something to say about my weight, what I was eating and what I wasn’t eating. Mostly snide remarks.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I got the "you're making us look bad" last week. they had deposited a dessert tray in the kitchenette with cookies and fruit. I grabbed a banana. One of the guys nomming cookies said I was making them look bad - though I knew he was making a joke about it.
  • Kimmotion5783
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I will never understand why people feel the need to comment on what others are eating. Just mind your business! My brother-in-law is always commenting on what I eat and it drives me nuts!! Thankfully, I only see him once or twice a year for holidays.

I’ll also never understand why any of my food choices would make someone feel bad. I’ve never, ever felt that way about what others are eating and it’s mind boggling to me. Like, if it bothers you that much you don’t have to eat the cake. Don’t try to force me to eat so you can feel better about your decisions.

I know, right!?! I just don't get why what I eat matters so much to people. Gee, maybe if they're paying that much attention to what I eat, why don't I just do a whole healthy cooking class for them while we're at it? You know, show 'em how it's done! (I would do it, too! LOL) It's seriously mind boggling to me too. The only time I ever cared about what's on someone else's plate is when I waiter passed me with someone else's supper and I thought "that smells good! think I'll get that." We're not over here trying to judge anybody for eating cake, there's nothing wrong with cake. I just can't do it right now because I'm trying to lose the 13 pounds to get me out of obesity by Thanksgiving. If it weren't for that, I would have just eaten cake, forgiven myself and said "tomorrow's a new day." But some people just gotta make everything about them.

If I had a penny for every time someone said "you're making me feel guilty" due to my food choices, I'd own the bank.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I’ve always been amazed at this- when I was 285 lbs, 1 person, exactly 1, said something to the effect that maybe I ought to lose a bit of weight before I seriously hurt myself. My best friend said that.

But once I started to lose weight, it seemed like EVERYBODY had something to say about my weight, what I was eating and what I wasn’t eating. Mostly snide remarks.

I am so sorry to hear that your bestie said that to you. That's just awful! People think they're being supportive and encouraging when they say stuff like that to somebody, but it just ends up making the receiving person feel ten times worse. If snide comments and criticisms were a viable method for weight loss, we'd all be a size 2.
  • Kimmotion5783
    Options
    Xerogs wrote: »

Yeah I get "Well you don't eat like that all the time so once in a while its OK" the person telling me that eats badly most of the time but probably thinks they only do it once in a while. I just don't let it get to me. When people say things like that it is more about them than you.

I admit I used to be one of those people. I love to bake and cook. Back when I was obese, I used to bake cakes and such all the time to the point where it annoyed people and would say things like that to my coworkers: "Oh it's just one treat" or "we don't do this all that often".

If I'm being completely honest, it almost feels like karma has come back around to bite me in the rear. I'm now one of those people having to constantly say no to sweets and fend off pushy people at work.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    True story here. I don't like cake. I never have even when I was super skinny.
    Don't ever eat something you don't want to because of pressure. It is like a drunk person begging you to drink when you don't want to. Walk away. They need no explanation.
    btw...You look great :)
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    You are not making them feel anything. You are taking care of yourself, if they feel "bad" that is their own perception. Being snarky like I am, I would have to say something along the lines of "I'm not making you feel bad- it's all that sugar that's doing it. In fact, that is why I'm not having cake. I don't want sugar to rule my life". Say it with a smile in your voice and a wink! People are rude.

The one I hear is hey- you've been exercising so much I'm sure you can afford one piece.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As someone who rarely attends social gatherings, I can avoid this problem. So suggestion number 1 is to become a hermit.

But assuming the hermit life isn't for you, and you want to still keep up human interaction, I recommend just a firm, but polite no thank you. Even if they keep harping on it, don't give ground. People are easily distracted and will move onto something else quickly.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's easier to take the cake and toss it.

It's even easier if you offer to be the one passing it out. That way you're included in the gathering (not off to the side with nothing in your hands) and you never have to give yourself cake. You also have the chance to let someone else say no with no repercussions. Some hosts just feel like they're not doing a good job if everyone isn't enjoying the current stage of the party.

You should be able to say "no" and have your answer respected but in social situations the only person you can count on for predictability is yourself. Although within my family, they're predictable enough i just take the cake because it's easier to plop it in the trash than argue.