Do you ever comment on unrealistic logging by friends?

CarvedTones
CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
edited October 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Sometimes I see things in my news feed and think about trying to politely say there is no way in he11 you burned that many calories in that much time doing that activity, but I never do. If it was an IRL friend, I would say something as politely as I could. Here, I just shake my head and ignore it. Sometimes I wonder if I should say something; maybe they really have no idea. OTOH, I don't want to come across as a know it all jerk.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't. If they specifically ask for help or advice, then I would consider it.

^^ that.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I guess I'm just passive-aggressive... If I saw unrealistic calorie burns and then that person was whining about "why am I not losing weight???" then I would probably unfriend. Otherwise I would let it go because it's not really my business.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I would only say something if the person was griping about not losing weight as expected. Even then it would be on the order of "Wow, that's a lot of calories for a fifteen minute walk! Are you sure about that?" Instead of just telling them they are wrong.

Mapmyhike always gives me insane-seeming calorie burns; however, my rate of loss is always at or higher than expected, so for some reason it seems to work out. Probably because I'm less sedentary in other ways.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    If they have a fitness tracking app connected to MFP, it will often post automatically with ridiculous burns. For some people, the accountability is more important than the calorie burn.

I would only comment if the person specifically asked for help or feedback about their diary. If they were venting, I might ask if they wanted someone to take a look, but I wouldn't just respond with a list of what was wrong. Sometimes people just want to express frustration without necessarily being in the frame of mind to want to work on a solution.

They're still responsible for making sure their tools are working properly. Cleaning for 90 minutes and posting a 1600 calorie burn might be a nice fantasy but that's all it is. But yes, I just shake my head and move on.
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    I don't say anything, but certainly notice. I don't log some of my activities such as breastfeeding or most exercise, but my fitbit is synced to MFP and if I use Map my Run to track my runs that syncs as well. I do better with losing when I don't log all of that, because then I won't "eat those calories back".