Do you ever comment on unrealistic logging by friends?

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    You can have friends on here? There's a news feed? :D (my apologies to both of my friends)

I don't think I would say anything though unless someone actually asked me for help. If what they are doing is working, yeah them! If not, well, they will probably figure it out or ask for help.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Part of the issue is with the MFP calorie estimators for exercise, which seem to be in active conflict with their activity multipliers. For instance, lets take a 30 year old, 5'4, 160 pound woman. BMR would be 1431, which means that if someone defined themselves as Sedentary, they would have a normal burn of 1717. Now lets say that person does house cleaning for a living. They have 2 options. They could choose their activity level as either "active" or "highly active", which would give them another 500-700 calories per day of budgeting. Or they could log 480 minutes of "Cleaning, light, moderate effort", which would likely say that they burned about 3x the calories than if they included that as part of their activity level.

So I think a big issue with calorie logging is that logging basic household activities greatly overestimates the number of calories burned. Exercise is not meant to be done for hours. If a person finds themselves doing hours of a life related exercise on the regular, they should raise their activity level, rather than logging it as exercise. Exercise should be for specific acts of exercise outside of normal daily activity.

Huh? Why not? And who didn't mean for us to exercise for hours?

Yesterday I spent about 3.5 hours riding my bike up and down Sherman Pass. The day before I rode Loup Loup Pass, which coincidentally also took me about 3.5 hours. I work as a software engineer so sedentary is the correct activity level. Today it's stormy and the weekday riding is over.

I'd find it very difficult to train for a marathon without exercising for hours.

I *wish* distance training didn't take hours. Love the races, hate the training runs.
  • Its_Haleeyyy
    Its_Haleeyyy Posts: 39 Member
    If they post something asking for advice/suggestions then maybe. If they don't say anything then no.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2018
    Hmmm.

NVM
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    I only did once when a user insisted she burned 3000+ calories on a 45 minute walk.

She gave me hell and then deleted me.

That was the only time...

No one will recognize something isn't working more than the individual themselves over time.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    How does one decide what is unrealistic and what isn't? This whole idea of this conversion seems a bit presumptuous to me.

Calorie burns that would go over 1000 per hour for moderately intense (and sometimes not even intense) exercise. 150+ calories per mile for miles computed from daily steps. My original question was sincere, not wanting to ridicule people. I see posted activity that would wipe out a daily deficit of 500 calories sometimes. It is entirely possible that some of these people don't know.

I've done that before.. 1000 cals (ish) for an hour of cycling, moderate or whatever the equivalent is. It's because it was auto-logged when my garmin synced... but there was nothing moderate about it that ride, I promise you.

And that was more my point. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of hugely erroneous entries made every single day. But I also think that there are just as many (if not more) variables, unknowns, variations, etc that reading a simple diary entry and assuming it's wrong is just as likely to be arrogant and unhelpful as it is considerate and beneficial.

But that's me, and I don't people very well... so maybe this is just something else I'm overly jaded about.

This annoys me, and I've ranted about it before. MFP decides how to label the intensity just purely on your average speed. So the harder a ride is, the easier MFP says it was. Do hill repeats and it says leisurely cycling. Even when the data you sync has the intensity factor in it. Just riding around...

I don’t have an indoor trainer-just a plain regular exercise bike. So I have to manually enter the distance - but not until after Garmin has altready synced my leisurely 0mph ride. It already has my cycling vo2max as “did you actually pedal?”. Clearly, Garmin is unimpressed with my cycling prowess.

• tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    No, I think most people don't want you to tell them
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Mine syncs from my Garmin, usually with the HRM Run, so it should be pretty close. Nonetheless, it is automatic and I can't control it even if I wanted to.

I don't think many / any of my friends actually are aware of or understand my current strategy, though. If they did, they would be talking about how many calories I eat, not how many I burn.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    How does one decide what is unrealistic and what isn't? This whole idea of this conversion seems a bit presumptuous to me.

Calorie burns that would go over 1000 per hour for moderately intense (and sometimes not even intense) exercise. 150+ calories per mile for miles computed from daily steps. My original question was sincere, not wanting to ridicule people. I see posted activity that would wipe out a daily deficit of 500 calories sometimes. It is entirely possible that some of these people don't know.

I've done that before.. 1000 cals (ish) for an hour of cycling, moderate or whatever the equivalent is. It's because it was auto-logged when my garmin synced... but there was nothing moderate about it that ride, I promise you.

And that was more my point. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of hugely erroneous entries made every single day. But I also think that there are just as many (if not more) variables, unknowns, variations, etc that reading a simple diary entry and assuming it's wrong is just as likely to be arrogant and unhelpful as it is considerate and beneficial.

But that's me, and I don't people very well... so maybe this is just something else I'm overly jaded about.

This annoys me, and I've ranted about it before. MFP decides how to label the intensity just purely on your average speed. So the harder a ride is, the easier MFP says it was. Do hill repeats and it says leisurely cycling. Even when the data you sync has the intensity factor in it. Just riding around...

I don’t have an indoor trainer-just a plain regular exercise bike. So I have to manually enter the distance - but not until after Garmin has altready synced my leisurely 0mph ride. It already has my cycling vo2max as “did you actually pedal?”. Clearly, Garmin is unimpressed with my cycling prowess.

I love it!

I'm thinking about getting rollers. Last November it rained every day and I didn't want to deal with it in the cold and dark, and I don't think any of that will be any different this year.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I stay out of it. Sometimes they know it but it is their fitness band or whatever and most people who are losing know how much they can eat and lose. I know what you mean tho. 1000 calories for a walk? I get 125.

cleaning and cooking are my favourite ones... and anything from mapmywalk or mapmyrun

I edit my burns from mapmyfitness by at least 50%
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »

The Mayo clinic compiled a big list of exercise burns for activities and for a person weighing 200 pounds, the two activities they found that were over 1,000 calories per hour were running 8 miles in an hour and, believe it or not, jumping rope.

And even then I wouldn't trust someone who logs jumping rope for 60 minutes. That *kitten* is hard!

I will go on record and say if you ever see me log jumping rope for more than about 30 seconds, I am lying. I have good coordination with a lot of activities but trying to do the little hops with the skinny exercise jump ropes just seems impossible. Even if I manage to get my rhythm, I am so tense I can't manage it long at all. I have bad knees, so I can't do it grade school style either (slower with big hops).