Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should you be able to pronounce the names of product ingredients?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    It's almost as dumb as "Only shop on the perimeter of the grocery store".

I agree, and I always ask people if they never buy toilet tissue or cleaning products?
    In my recent remodeled supermarket, the wine, alcohol and beers are now located on the left side of one of the entrances and very close to the vegetables and fruit stands. There is a lot of traffic in that area, that is for sure!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OT, but stores also place the things people "need" most in the middle of an aisle so they have to walk up and down every aisle to get a few basics.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I just get frustrated with the culture when the response to seeing a long word you haven't seen before is "I can't pronounce that" instead of "I wonder how you pronounce that". Then it is even worse when it gets to the point that not being able to pronounce something makes you feel like there must be something wrong with that thing and not just that it is simply a gap in your knowledge. Not trying to be judgmental, everyone has gaps in their expertise or experience....just gets to be a problem when you act like that is an issue with the world instead of an issue with you.

ITA. And honestly if you sound them out slowly you will end up pronouncing most chemical names right, maybe just get the accent syllable wrong. I'm the type that if I see an ingredient I don't know, after eating the product and determining it's general level of yumminess, I go to google to find out what the ingredient is/does. Life long learning FTW!
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I agree, and I always ask people if they never buy toilet tissue or cleaning products?
    In my recent remodeled supermarket, the wine, alcohol and beers are now located on the left side of one of the entrances and very close to the vegetables and fruit stands. There is a lot of traffic in that area, that is for sure!

Well, I mostly adhere to the perimeter rule.

I don't get my tissues and cleaning products at the market. I get those at the warehouse club :)

At least my intent is to steer myself, and anyone who wishes to emulate what I'm doing, to buy meat, fish, chicken, dairy, fruits, vegetables, etc and steer clear of the meal kits, cereals, and other things that are more processed. I realize all food is processed to a certain extent, unless one is eating it raw. However, do I really need a pasta sauce that has added sugar? Do I really need my Raisin Bran to have sugar as one of the ingredients? Do I really need little chocolate donuts, Twinkies and Doritos? (No, but I don't always say no to them either, just have them much less frequently.)

But I will buy bread, pasta, etc. But I try to fill my cart with fresh proteins and vegetables as much as possible and leave out the potato chips, snack cakes, sugary cereals, and their cousins that often lurk in the middle of the store.

I don't use the rule because I fear chemistry. (Better living through modern chemistry.) I do it because the foods in the middle seem to be more calorie dense and that doesn't work well with T2Dm and limiting my calorie and carb intake as per my dietitian/diabetes coaches guidance and plan for my eating.

As much as I'd love a pack of little chocolate donuts, I'm better off using the same 420 calories (420, coincidence?) having a two or three egg omelette with two slices of center cut bacon, peppers, onions and maybe a banana depending on if my BG was above or below 100 when I woke that morning.

If this works for you, use it. If not, take anything that is worthwhile and leave what isn't.

@janejellyroll already responded to your comment and with a lot of common sense. I will not make an additional comment because I know that I would start a very heated discussion that could derail the original posting.

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Our wine/beer aisle is on the perimeter of my grocery store.

Seems like a green light to me :)
  • Gisel2015
    Options

I don't get my tissues and cleaning products at the market. I get those at the warehouse club :)

At least my intent is to steer myself, and anyone who wishes to emulate what I'm doing, to buy meat, fish, chicken, dairy, fruits, vegetables, etc and steer clear of the meal kits, cereals, and other things that are more processed. I realize all food is processed to a certain extent, unless one is eating it raw. However, do I really need a pasta sauce that has added sugar? Do I really need my Raisin Bran to have sugar as one of the ingredients? Do I really need little chocolate donuts, Twinkies and Doritos? (No, but I don't always say no to them either, just have them much less frequently.)

But I will buy bread, pasta, etc. But I try to fill my cart with fresh proteins and vegetables as much as possible and leave out the potato chips, snack cakes, sugary cereals, and their cousins that often lurk in the middle of the store.

I don't use the rule because I fear chemistry. (Better living through modern chemistry.) I do it because the foods in the middle seem to be more calorie dense and that doesn't work well with T2Dm and limiting my calorie and carb intake as per my dietitian/diabetes coaches guidance and plan for my eating.

As much as I'd love a pack of little chocolate donuts, I'm better off using the same 420 calories (420, coincidence?) having a two or three egg omelette with two slices of center cut bacon, peppers, onions and maybe a banana depending on if my BG was above or below 100 when I woke that morning.

If this works for you, use it. If not, take anything that is worthwhile and leave what isn't.

But even if I decide to forgo the pasta sauce with added sugar, I have to go to that aisle anyway to get my canned tomatoes (or my pasta). If I decide to skip the raisin bran with sugar, I'm still going to that aisle to get my steel-cut oats. That's why the rule has never made sense to me.

Because you have self control!
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

But even if I decide to forgo the pasta sauce with added sugar, I have to go to that aisle anyway to get my canned tomatoes (or my pasta). If I decide to skip the raisin bran with sugar, I'm still going to that aisle to get my steel-cut oats. That's why the rule has never made sense to me.

I don't think the rule is NEVER go down those aisles. I've taken it to mean limit your trips down those aisles, or be careful in those aisles.

I'm a firm believer in your can eat almost anything, save those who have true diagnosed medical issues. (I.E. we would be breaking out the Epi-Pen if my wife had shellfish.)

Heck, I ate 6 full sized donuts in the local Tour de Donut bike race. But I was pretty sure I was going to burn the 1800 calories up in the 34 miles of the race, so it was a net zero.

I just don't do that every day, or even every month. But I did check with my Dr. and he said I was good for 6 donuts on that day.

So I just take it as not a NEVER, but rather a beware when you are going down these aisles. The box may suggest that Raisin Bran is "healthy" but do I really need 46g of carbs and 18g of sugar for breakfast? Maybe I would be better off with the oats and adding my own fruit to the bowl.

I'm certainly not Keto at 203g carbs/day, so I'm not suggesting that sort of woo.

Just saying be careful in the center of the store ;) Not everything that says "Healthy" or "High Fiber" or "Natural" on the label is what it says it is.

It would probably be helpful to be careful (I would say "mindful") in all aisles. I mean, produce is generally considered to be key to a healthy diet, but when I'm in the produce aisle in my particular grocery store I also see foods like caramel dip, pre-made mashed potatoes, full-fat salad dressings, and hummus. Nothing wrong with these foods, but they're calorie-dense and it would be ridiculous to say I can be less mindful of that because of the particular location of the store I'm standing in.

Why wouldn't it be a better rule of thumb to be mindful in all aisles instead of just in the middle of the store?

Oh, I don't disagree. The facts on the ground are as you say. There is all sorts of "danger" in the store.

I would hope that people are not taking the rule that because the caramel apple wrappers are in the perimeter, they are "good to go."

You know, the spirit of the rule sort of thing.

Heck, I'm Libertarian, you do you. That's why I say if what I do helps you, use it. If not, do your own thing.

What works for me is a cart full of fresh meat, poultry, eggs, a bit of dairy, fresh fruits or veggies. Lots of color in the cart. Less stuff in boxes or cans. I'll pick the frozen fajita veggies out of convenience for my omelette. But I'm not going to grab the pre-sauced veggie steamables. But I will get the 100 calorie pre-measured ice cream cups ;)

But that's what, 5% of my 2000 calories/day?

I don't need a bag of corn chips to mindlessly munch in front of the TV or at my desk at home.

It's just a starting point. Really not much different from something like the food pyramid or other visualization tool that starts the conversation or thought process about what the fork we eat.

One will find the bulk of their colorful diet in the perimeter of the store. That doesn't mean there will not be unhealthy things there too, or that they should never sally forth in the center of the market.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

The perimeter of my local store is produce, deli, bakery (bread, cake), packaged snack cakes (twinkies) and brownies, raw meat, frozen prepared chicken strips and burger patties, lunchables, lunchmeat, cheese, bagels, milk, juice, usually snack food like crackers, chips, cookies or cereal that they want to push, eggs, other dairy products, water, alcohol, cookie dough, bread dough, and again chips and snack food, seasonal baking items, holiday cupcakes or cookies.
    Every non-perishable basic ingredient is located on an inner aisle in my store. There are no bulk bins along a wall. Flour, rice, beans, lentils, oatmeal, olive oil, spices, nuts, vinegar, shelf stable milk substitutes, etc are not on the perimeter. It is like this in most every grocery store I have been in. Some stores have a special "health food" section but the perimeter rule would skip most of that stuff too.

I think these rules just confuse people about what is a healthy diet because taken at face value they have nothing to do with meeting your nutritional needs at all. You can't say only eat things you can pronounce or only shop the perimeter of the store and then come back when someone says what about dried lentils or oats and say well, obviously we all understood that I meant just be mindful in the whole store and buy food with less carbs/sugar, salt, food colorings or whatever you particularly think is a bad ingredient. If you want to encourage people to eat a less processed diet why not just say try to eat a mostly whole foods/fresh foods diet? It seems simple enough to fit any food buying situation.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Should you be able to pronounce the names of product ingredients?

Yes adults should be able to pronounce words...learn some damn chemistry already general population, geez.

I always appreciate and chuckle at your occasional bluntness.