Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should you be able to pronounce the names of product ingredients?

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    Completely off the point, but I often take pleasure mispronouncing words deliberately, when talking to subject experts. It’s a habit I picked up from my Dad, who once asked a Dr for his “hobgoblin count”.

Glad I'm not the only one! My physical therapist asked where the tear on my rotator cuff was - I told her it was dorsal. She went to write it down and then exclaimed "no it isn't!"
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    It's almost as dumb as "Only shop on the perimeter of the grocery store".
    That’s where the ice cream, candy and booze lives... :drinker:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    Completely off the point, but I often take pleasure mispronouncing words deliberately, when talking to subject experts. It’s a habit I picked up from my Dad, who once asked a Dr for his “hobgoblin count”.

my husband does that. It annoys me. He pronounces jalapeno "gel-opp-uh-no" and he pronounces paprika "pa-parka"

On that note, he thinks it's stupid that words are not pronounced in the way they look like they should (such as thyme) and he will just say it with the "th" sound even though he knows it's wrong.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I mean just a quick primer on how to pronounce "chemical-sounding" names.

Chemical names are derived from a collection of descriptive prefixes and suffixes that are often latin or greek derived. Our language is latin/greek derived so much of the pronounciation is the same. The reason chemical names look so strange is in our language latin prefixes are attached to some root where a lot of chemical names are just a bunch of prefixes and suffixes strung together.

So using your examples

ergocalciferol. Ergo-calci-fer-ol. Ergo as in...well...ergo in latin for work. Calci- as in calcium. Fer as in ferrous, as in iron, -ol as in acohol as in an -OH group.

So from the name I can guess this compound has something to do with iron and calcium and probably has an alcohol group and I know how to pronounce it it Ergo-calci-fer-ol...even though i have never seen that name before because I know how to pronounce ergo, calcium, ferrous and alcohol so I just string those together ergo-calci-fer-ol

That is the thing with chemical names, they are actually more descriptive than standard names like Apple. Apple doesn't tell you anything unless you know what an apple is already. But Ergocalciferol tells me whatever it is has something to do with iron calcium and likely has an alcohol group in it. So if i basically just interpreted the name it would be something that works with iron and calcium and is an alcohol (ie it has an -OH group on it somewhere).

cholecalciferol

Chole- as in cholesterol
    Calci- as in calcium
    fer- as in ferrous
    ol as in alchol. So if you can say cholesterol, calcium, ferrous and alcohol you can say chole-calci-fer-ol

nicotinamide riboside

Nicotin- as in nicotine
    -amide as in, well, amide...that one is a chemical term

Ribo- as in ribose
    -ide is a chemistry suffix to name the negative ion such as chloride (Cl-) or hydroxide (OH-)

So Nicotin-amide Ribos-ide

dihydrogen monoxide

Di- as in the latin for two
    Hydrogen, as in hydrogen
    Mon- as in the latin for one
    Ox - as in oxygen
    -ide is a chemistry suffix

So Di-hydrogen Mon-ox-ide

Each of these names tells you something about either what it is made of or what it does.

-ide also has meaning; usually 2 different elements in the compound.

Off topic sort of: As a chemistry major in college, I took great pleasure in reading shampoo labels when visiting friends (any label, really) and trying to build the molecular structures in my head. That was before this 'clean' movement so most people thought I was really weird.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I think the bottom-line stupidity of "don't eat it if you can't pronounce it" is that most people have their phones with them when they shop. If you can't pronounce it or don't know what it is, look it up, for pete's sake! Most of us aren't going to know the definition and pronunciation of words we don't use in everyday life, but we all know how to type the word into google and educate ourselves. People could get away with making up a woo rule like that in the days where you'd have to carry around a dictionary to look things up, but there's just no excuse in 2018.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think the bottom-line stupidity of "don't eat it if you can't pronounce it" is that most people have their phones with them when they shop. If you can't pronounce it or don't know what it is, look it up, for pete's sake! Most of us aren't going to know the definition and pronunciation of words we don't use in everyday life, but we all know how to type the word into google and educate ourselves. People could get away with making up a woo rule like that in the days where you'd have to carry around a dictionary to look things up, but there's just no excuse in 2018.

I find myself saying this about a lot of things.

I see someone whinging on TV about getting ripped off at the car dealer. Didn't they spend some time reviewing car buying or financing tips to learn that paying $1k for pin strips and fuzzy dice was a bad idea. Or that they might want to see if they can get a better interest rate/terms from a bank not being sold by the dealer? Or what others were paying for the new car they are looking at.

It's hard to feel sorry for people who don't even take 30 seconds to do a bit of research.

(But I have enjoyed the look on the guy/gal in the finance office when they give the doom and gloom scenarios about what might happen if you don't get the extended warranty. I suggest that perhaps buying the car isn't such a good idea if they have to offer extended warranties as part of the sale. Or that I could put that sort of money into repairing or upgrading my existing car with new wheels or a bluetooth head unit and not have to spend $30k on a new one....)

It's not just food ingredients, it's a whole host of things.

But then again, people think ACV is going to cure them.

Hope sells.

It may not work, at least not on it's own, but it sure sells.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2018
    amandaeve wrote: »

Chemical names are derived from a collection of descriptive prefixes and suffixes that are often latin or greek derived. Our language is latin/greek derived so much of the pronounciation is the same. The reason chemical names look so strange is in our language latin prefixes are attached to some root where a lot of chemical names are just a bunch of prefixes and suffixes strung together.

So using your examples

ergocalciferol. Ergo-calci-fer-ol. Ergo as in...well...ergo in latin for work. Calci- as in calcium. Fer as in ferrous, as in iron, -ol as in acohol as in an -OH group.

So from the name I can guess this compound has something to do with iron and calcium and probably has an alcohol group and I know how to pronounce it it Ergo-calci-fer-ol...even though i have never seen that name before because I know how to pronounce ergo, calcium, ferrous and alcohol so I just string those together ergo-calci-fer-ol

That is the thing with chemical names, they are actually more descriptive than standard names like Apple. Apple doesn't tell you anything unless you know what an apple is already. But Ergocalciferol tells me whatever it is has something to do with iron calcium and likely has an alcohol group in it. So if i basically just interpreted the name it would be something that works with iron and calcium and is an alcohol (ie it has an -OH group on it somewhere).

cholecalciferol

Chole- as in cholesterol
    Calci- as in calcium
    fer- as in ferrous
    ol as in alchol. So if you can say cholesterol, calcium, ferrous and alcohol you can say chole-calci-fer-ol

nicotinamide riboside

Nicotin- as in nicotine

Ribo- as in ribose
    -ide is a chemistry suffix to name the negative ion such as chloride (Cl-) or hydroxide (OH-)

dihydrogen monoxide

Hydrogen, as in hydrogen
    Ox - as in oxygen

Each of these names tells you something about either what it is made of or what it does.

Off topic sort of: As a chemistry major in college, I took great pleasure in reading shampoo labels when visiting friends (any label, really) and trying to build the molecular structures in my head. That was before this 'clean' movement so most people thought I was really weird.

Now they probably just assume you are a shill.

My background is biology not chemistry, I just happen to have the basics in chemistry. If I butchered anything above my apologies. I guess I knew that about -ide but wasn't sure how that related to -amide....because I am not sure what the "am" part would reference. I mean I know what an amide is...but I never thought of it as being an -am-ide. I guess come to think of it though am-monia, am-ine, am-ino...all have nitrogen, so i'd guess am- refers to nitrogen?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I can pronounce all that crap. I've taken plenty of chem classes and I'm a proficient reader with a strong phonics background. Even if I don't know what something is, I can sound it out properly following basic rules of the language. Because I can "speak" the ingredients properly, does it make it safer for me to eat certain things than it is for someone who is less educated and can't pronounce the ingredients? I guess an illiterate person has to starve to death.

I don't see how being able to read/pronounce words has any bearing on the safety of a product. The definition of a word is more important than the spelling. If there's a harmless (or even beneficial) chemical compound with a complicated name in my protein bar, I don't care. If there's something toxic in there I don't care how easy it is to say (take lead, for example) I'm not having it. Who cares if you can say it or not? If you don't know what something is, you have access to all kinds of information online - look it up.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    amandaeve wrote: »

So using your examples

cholecalciferol

Chole- as in cholesterol
    Calci- as in calcium
    fer- as in ferrous

nicotinamide riboside

Nicotin- as in nicotine

Ribo- as in ribose

dihydrogen monoxide

Hydrogen, as in hydrogen
    Ox - as in oxygen

Now they probably just assume you are a shill.

My background is biology not chemistry, I just happen to have the basics in chemistry. If I butchered anything above my apologies. I guess I knew that about -ide but wasn't sure how that related to -amide....because I am not sure what the "am" part would reference. I mean I know what an amide is...but I never thought of it as being an -am-ide. I guess come to think of it though am-monia, am-ine, am-ino...all have nitrogen, so i'd guess am- refers to nitrogen?

Well, I can't claim you butchered anything...I studied 20 years ago and I haven't used it since. I've forgotten much and am likely worse than the average lay person because I think I know things. In fact, I might be wrong already, because I think -ide in amide identifies the ion. I should step back anyway, as NO one ever said "dihydrogen monoxide" back then. I don't know where that ever came from. I'm sure there are more chem savvy people on this forum than me....maybe they'll comment....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    My response always to the 'don't eat if you can't pronounce it' mantra is to ask what happens if I have a lisp and I can't pronounce spinach - I shouldn't eat it????
    What if I have a disability and I can't speak at all and therefore can't pronounce anything - what do I eat????

That is a rhetorical question, of course - but I think demonstrates how silly such a rule is.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Companies today just do the same thing with laws and convolution, including sometimes trying to hide what ingredients are present with words that are hard to comprehend, or conversely, with words that are easy to comprehend but give the wrong impression. (they do not use technical words AND simplistic ones in the same product for no reason, you know?)

No..they really don't. Don't confuse the lay-public's ignorance of chemistry with attempts at misdirection or confusion. The ingredients listed on boxes are the names of those ingredients, they don't have other names and there isn't some sort of misdirection. Maltodextrine is maltodextrine...that is what it is called....if you don't know what that is I am not sure why the company that posts it as an ingredient is to blame for your lack of knowledge. I'm not claiming that everyone should know everything about everything that would be ridiculous...but to act like if you don't know something it is because of some sinister plot is a bit ridiculous too.

If there's a widely understood word for something (e.g., water), and manufacturers intentionally use a different word or phrase relatively few people understand (e.g., dihydrogen monoxide), yeah, I'm pretty sure they're intentionally trying to confuse.

My favorite example of this, although not a chemical name, is labels that list "evaporated cane juice" as an ingredient. Because they don't want consumers to know the food product has sugar in it.