Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should you be able to pronounce the names of product ingredients?

lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
Do you think that a criteria for a safe/healthy product (food, health, or medical) is that it contains ingredients you can pronounce? Isn't this more a reflection on the language skills of the consumer than the efficacy/safety of a product? (This could be scary since the average American tests out a 5th grade reading level.)
Would you use a product that listed any of these ingredients?
ergocalciferol
cholecalciferol
nicotinamide riboside
dihydrogen monoxide

On a related note, most people can't pronounce my last name. Does that mean that I'm dangerous?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do you think that a criteria for a safe/healthy product (food, health, or medical) is that it contains ingredients you can pronounce? Isn't this more a reflection on the language skills of the consumer than the efficacy/safety of a product? (This could be scary since the average American tests out a 5th grade reading level.)
    Would you use a product that listed any of these ingredients?
    ergocalciferol
    cholecalciferol
    nicotinamide riboside
    dihydrogen monoxide

On a related note, most people can't pronounce my last name. Does that mean that I'm dangerous?

Same. I think I'm probably dangerous. Most people should probably leave me alone. :laugh:

And I agree, it's more about the language skills than the product.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Clarification: do you have to be able to pronounce it, or pronounce it correctly?

Definitely wouldn't use a product of bottled dihydrogen monoxide. It's contaminated with microplastic filaments.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2018
    It's almost as dumb as "Only shop on the perimeter of the grocery store".

I'd argue it is dumber because people apply the "chemical-sounding things are dangerous" rule to just about anything. The analogy would be if people heard the perimeter rule about grocery stores and believed in it so much they just started applying it to all aspects of their life, avoiding the middle of anything.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    It's almost as dumb as "Only shop on the perimeter of the grocery store".

This is the one I think the stores have caught onto. They've put bulk candy, bacon and all kinds of sweets around the perimeter of some of the stores here. Yes the veggies are there, but the put pop and chips on the end of the aisles so you can grab them on a perimeter run.

Then they put the wine tasting area right in the middle of the store....

I'm not up to date, but I know retail stores typically place high markup items at the perimeter on in traffic patterns. Lower/negative markup items are typically necessities and are placed towards the back of the store, so they know they have loads of marketing opportunities to place along routes.