Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should you be able to pronounce the names of product ingredients?

Options

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think the bottom-line stupidity of "don't eat it if you can't pronounce it" is that most people have their phones with them when they shop. If you can't pronounce it or don't know what it is, look it up, for pete's sake! Most of us aren't going to know the definition and pronunciation of words we don't use in everyday life, but we all know how to type the word into google and educate ourselves. People could get away with making up a woo rule like that in the days where you'd have to carry around a dictionary to look things up, but there's just no excuse in 2018.

Yeah but I mean there are also plenty of people who are too lazy/thoughtless to look up (or frankly just ask about) the pronunciation of someone's name when they're presenting that person who an audience.

edit: but more to the point, most people have no need to pronounce various names of chemicals. They are low frequency words for the vast majority of English speakers and that's perfectly fine.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Companies today just do the same thing with laws and convolution, including sometimes trying to hide what ingredients are present with words that are hard to comprehend, or conversely, with words that are easy to comprehend but give the wrong impression. (they do not use technical words AND simplistic ones in the same product for no reason, you know?)

No..they really don't. Don't confuse the lay-public's ignorance of chemistry with attempts at misdirection or confusion. The ingredients listed on boxes are the names of those ingredients, they don't have other names and there isn't some sort of misdirection. Maltodextrine is maltodextrine...that is what it is called....if you don't know what that is I am not sure why the company that posts it as an ingredient is to blame for your lack of knowledge. I'm not claiming that everyone should know everything about everything that would be ridiculous...but to act like if you don't know something it is because of some sinister plot is a bit ridiculous too.

If there's a widely understood word for something (e.g., water), and manufacturers intentionally use a different word or phrase relatively few people understand (e.g., dihydrogen monoxide), yeah, I'm pretty sure they're intentionally trying to confuse.

My favorite example of this, although not a chemical name, is labels that list "evaporated cane juice" as an ingredient. Because they don't want consumers to know the food product has sugar in it.

And what did the FDA do about it? Can you give a current example that is at all long standing and not something that was immediately smacked down? Is this a real problem or a hypothetical?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Companies today just do the same thing with laws and convolution, including sometimes trying to hide what ingredients are present with words that are hard to comprehend, or conversely, with words that are easy to comprehend but give the wrong impression. (they do not use technical words AND simplistic ones in the same product for no reason, you know?)

No..they really don't. Don't confuse the lay-public's ignorance of chemistry with attempts at misdirection or confusion. The ingredients listed on boxes are the names of those ingredients, they don't have other names and there isn't some sort of misdirection. Maltodextrine is maltodextrine...that is what it is called....if you don't know what that is I am not sure why the company that posts it as an ingredient is to blame for your lack of knowledge. I'm not claiming that everyone should know everything about everything that would be ridiculous...but to act like if you don't know something it is because of some sinister plot is a bit ridiculous too.

If there's a widely understood word for something (e.g., water), and manufacturers intentionally use a different word or phrase relatively few people understand (e.g., dihydrogen monoxide), yeah, I'm pretty sure they're intentionally trying to confuse.

My favorite example of this, although not a chemical name, is labels that list "evaporated cane juice" as an ingredient. Because they don't want consumers to know the food product has sugar in it.

And what did the FDA do about it? Can you give a current example that is at all long standing and not something that was immediately smacked down? Is this a real problem or a hypothetical?

I'm sure I've seen evaporate cane juice on labels in the past year. So, no, not a hypothetical. (And since you asked about the FDA, I did the research for you -- not sure why you think that's my responsibility, since I wasn't talking about the FDA, just what I have actually seen frequently on food labels -- and apparently there is "guidance" that companies should say sugar, not evaporated cane juice, but guidance isn't a regulation.)

ETA: FDA says
    FDA’s guidance documents, including this guidance, do not establish legally enforceable responsibilities. Instead, guidances describe our current thinking on a topic and should be viewed only as recommendations, unless specific regulatory or statutory requirements are cited.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm181491.htm
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I mean just a quick primer on how to pronounce "chemical-sounding" names.
    Chemical names are derived from a collection of descriptive prefixes and suffixes that are often latin or greek derived. Our language is latin/greek derived so much of the pronounciation is the same. The reason chemical names look so strange is in our language latin prefixes are attached to some root where a lot of chemical names are just a bunch of prefixes and suffixes strung together.

So using your examples

ergocalciferol. Ergo-calci-fer-ol. Ergo as in...well...ergo in latin for work. Calci- as in calcium. Fer as in ferrous, as in iron, -ol as in acohol as in an -OH group.

So from the name I can guess this compound has something to do with iron and calcium and probably has an alcohol group and I know how to pronounce it it Ergo-calci-fer-ol...even though i have never seen that name before because I know how to pronounce ergo, calcium, ferrous and alcohol so I just string those together ergo-calci-fer-ol

That is the thing with chemical names, they are actually more descriptive than standard names like Apple. Apple doesn't tell you anything unless you know what an apple is already. But Ergocalciferol tells me whatever it is has something to do with iron calcium and likely has an alcohol group in it. So if i basically just interpreted the name it would be something that works with iron and calcium and is an alcohol (ie it has an -OH group on it somewhere).

cholecalciferol

Chole- as in cholesterol
    Calci- as in calcium
    fer- as in ferrous
    ol as in alchol. So if you can say cholesterol, calcium, ferrous and alcohol you can say chole-calci-fer-ol

nicotinamide riboside

Nicotin- as in nicotine
    -amide as in, well, amide...that one is a chemical term

Ribo- as in ribose
    -ide is a chemistry suffix to name the negative ion such as chloride (Cl-) or hydroxide (OH-)

So Nicotin-amide Ribos-ide

dihydrogen monoxide

Di- as in the latin for two
    Hydrogen, as in hydrogen
    Mon- as in the latin for one
    Ox - as in oxygen
    -ide is a chemistry suffix

So Di-hydrogen Mon-ox-ide
    Each of these names tells you something about either what it is made of or what it does.

😠Now you've gone and spoiled my rule!

Just catching up on this thread.

Interesting conversation. Especially as someone who doesn't eat a lot of processed foods. In the past week I might have eaten (things I didn't have to peel, wash or crack): sugar, oatmeal, milk, flour, butter, yogurt, coffee, tea, oil, mustard, vinegar, and various spices.

I don't feel particularly healthier than anybody else. Overall I probably just consume little added sugar and sodium but that's about it for health benefits.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    What point are you making John??

Of course one can collect a group of supposedly difficult to pronounce processed foods - one could equally collect a group of supposedly difficult to pronounce raw fruits and vegetables.

How is that any common sense??

Not sure what I am missing here :/:*
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Of course one can collect a group of supposedly difficult to pronounce processed foods - one could equally collect a group of supposedly difficult to pronounce raw fruits and vegetables.

They are all perfectly healthy foods with non-English names that many people pronounce wrong!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,717 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    They are all perfectly healthy foods with non-English names that many people pronounce wrong!

I've never heard anyone call poutine "healthy", but it is good. ;) In fact, angry poutine sounds like something I should try. :smiley:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I've never heard anyone call poutine "healthy", but it is good. ;) In fact, angry poutine sounds like something I should try. :smiley:

LOL, that's a fair point :lol:
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    9p1vr6xm9ww2.jpg

Now I want to make a mascarpone sauce with proscuitto to go over gnocchi :p

Edit to correct sp as I spelt pretty much every thing wrong!
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do you think that a criteria for a safe/healthy product (food, health, or medical) is that it contains ingredients you can pronounce?

On a related note, most people can't pronounce my last name. Does that mean that I'm dangerous?

Nope. I would miss out on too many foreign foods although luckily, @johnslater461, I would be able to still eat the charcuterie (I don't eat charcuterie actually), the haricot vert and the chateau de lavernette above. I'll pass on the poutine though.

As @MzBaz0918 above I am not healthier than the average person (actually as an obese I AM unhealthier than the average person) although I don't eat lots of foods with chemical ingredient names.

Also my last name makes me dangerous outside of my home country since people can't pronounce my name. I am a cute and cuddly, I am safe!
  • hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm a biologist, so I know all this stuff. That means I can eat anything, right? ;):D
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    hippiesaur wrote: »
    I'm a biologist, so I know all this stuff. That means I can eat anything, right? ;):D

As a chemist I will agree with you :wink:
  • thezenarya
    thezenarya Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    hippiesaur wrote: »

As a chemist I will agree with you :wink:

Another chemist chiming in! Go us for being able to eat anything, lol.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

oh, ok - yes I missed that then.

Worcestershire sauce is very common here - didnt realise anyone would consider it non English

well it isnt - it is named after place in England where it was first made.

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    <curmudgeon> Eschewing unpronounceable ingredients is just another form of dietary virtue signaling in an anti-intellectual, science-rejecting, "trust your gut" culture. </curmudgeon>

<juvenile chortle> See what I did there, with, "chew" and "gut"? </juvenile chortle>

And it's Just Wrong to mention DHMO without citing http://dhmo.org , because it's just too, too good to miss.

<snorting into my coffee> Thanks for the link!