Food as Fuel

Options

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    The car metaphor is nice until you consider your car isn't sentient.
    AnvilHead wrote: »

...and humans aren't machines, and don't function like them.

I don't know. I get your points, but I think OP's analogy is a lot better than the anthropomorphizing you see so often that attributes sentience to parts of your body other than your brain, so that it is susceptible to being "fooled" or "confused" by various dieting tactics.

But that's saying it's good compared to woo. I agree; it will actually work for some people. I just wouldn't encourage it. I think the first response had the right word - joyless.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My mom has a similar approach to weight loss. It worked for her. She lost 80 lbs and kept it off. And that’s what her diet is still like.

There’s absolutely no way I would want to lose weight in the same way. I love food. I enjoy trying new foods and cooking. It’s a big part of mine and my husband’s lifestyle. I want my meals to be delicious and healthy - which is totally possible.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

...and humans aren't machines, and don't function like them.

I don't know. I get your points, but I think OP's analogy is a lot better than the anthropomorphizing you see so often that attributes sentience to parts of your body other than your brain, so that it is susceptible to being "fooled" or "confused" by various dieting tactics.

But that's saying it's good compared to woo. I agree; it will actually work for some people. I just wouldn't encourage it. I think the first response had the right word - joyless.

I think that Joy or Joyless are emotional attributes and are very individual feelings for very specific individual reasons.

In the context of nutrition, joy doesn't factor into my decisions. I don't think that eating to be joyful is nutritionally sustainable over the long term.

YMMV

When you say that a date with almond butter is for you like a chocolate sundae is for others, is joy in eating not a part of that? If enjoyment isn't a factor, what are you getting out of the date with almond butter and what do you think others are getting from a chocolate sundae?

Yes, I get enjoyment out of the food I eat, and when I want dessert, the joy I get from that stuffed date is probably quite like the joy others get from some chocolate.

My point, lost somewhere in the telling, is that I don't want joy or other emotions to factor into my food choices.
    Food is fuel for my body.

In the kitchen and at meal times, my joy comes from the ability to achieve my weight goals by eating nutritionally balanced meals that results in my having good energy all day and sleep well all night. Those are important results for me.

Enjoy your chocolate! and Good fitness to us all!
    Amyfb
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    If sugar makes you feel like ants are running through your bloodstream, why wouldn't dates provoke that reaction? They're so sweet that they're often used to sweeten other foods.

I think it's the refined sugars that make the ants run in my blood. Not long ago, I had one (1) bite of iced birthday cake and they started right up almost before I was done swallowing the bite!

Fruits, fresh or dried, don't cause that reaction at all.

I don't think there is any process by which your body could somehow distinguish between the sugar in a date and the sugar in birthday cake. Your mind does know the difference, so this is probably a mental trigger (not that it would feel any less real while it was happening).

Particularly when it has barely hit your stomach.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    If sugar makes you feel like ants are running through your bloodstream, why wouldn't dates provoke that reaction? They're so sweet that they're often used to sweeten other foods.

I think it's the refined sugars that make the ants run in my blood. Not long ago, I had one (1) bite of iced birthday cake and they started right up almost before I was done swallowing the bite!

I don't think there is any process by which your body could somehow distinguish between the sugar in a date and the sugar in birthday cake. Your mind does know the difference, so this is probably a mental trigger (not that it would feel any less real while it was happening).

Particularly when it has barely hit your stomach.

Yeah, I edited to note that. Even if our bodies could somehow sort out sugar based on the food it was contained in, this probably wouldn't be happening while the food was still in our mouth.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

I don't think there is any process by which your body could somehow distinguish between the sugar in a date and the sugar in birthday cake, let alone have it activate in your bloodsteam before you even swallowed the food in question. Your mind does know the difference, so this is probably a mental trigger (not that it would feel any less real while it was happening).

no argument on that observation janejellyroll!

I went a-googling and came across this bit from a page (https://www.cancercenter.com/discussions/blog/natural-versus-refined-sugars-what-is-the-difference/) :

"[excerpt]...How the body metabolizes the sugar in fruit and milk differs from how it metabolizes the refined sugar added to processed foods. The body breaks down refined sugar rapidly, causing insulin and blood sugar levels to skyrocket. Because refined sugar is digested quickly, you don’t feel full after you’re done eating, no matter how many calories you consumed. The fiber in fruit slows down metabolism, as fruit in the gut expands to make you feel full.

But there’s a caveat, Baker says. Once the sugar passes through the stomach and reaches the small intestine, it doesn’t matter if it came from an apple or a soft drink.

“How much sugar is already in your blood will determine how the body uses the sugar,” Baker says. “If you already have a lot of sugar in your system, then what you just digested will form either fat or glycogen, the storage form of glucose that’s used for quick energy. It doesn’t matter if it’s junk food or fruit.”[end excerpt]"