Food as Fuel

Options

Replies

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »

My point, lost somewhere in the telling, is that I don't want joy or other emotions to factor into my food choices.
    Food is fuel for my body.

In the kitchen and at meal times, my joy comes from the ability to achieve my weight goals by eating nutritionally balanced meals that results in my having good energy all day and sleep well all night. Those are important results for me.
    Amyfb

I get what you are saying, Amyfb. Maybe it has something to do with our age, as I'm 64. I don't always meet my goals, but I do try to fuel my body with nutritious, healthy food most of the time rather than what I consider junk. I know I feel better and have more energy when I eat a certain way.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I feel these boards believe no foods are innately good or bad, until someone cuts out foods that (for want of a better description) are seen as junk food. Then suddenly they must have an unhealthy relationship with food.
    At is very basis food is fuel for our bodies. We have been socialized to connect it with comfort, love and other emotions. I think one could also argue that is the unhealthy perspective?
    I am not arguing that one way or another, I just find the subject fascinating and I do think there is room for both perspectives. Even of you have no interest in vegetarianism the book "eating animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer is a good read that touches on this topic.

I think the idea that we have to be socialized to feel emotions around food requires us to ignore substantial evidence that we aren't the only animals that do so. When we see apes celebrate getting certain fruit, do we think that is mere socialization? When dogs get excited when they anticipate getting a treat, is that just because of socialization?

Are you talking about wild or captive animals? I would be surprised if wild animals had any of the complex emotional attachments to specific foods that humans do, but honestly I don't have enough knowledge on the topic to comment thoughtfully. I am interested though, so if you could point me towards some of the substantial evidence you mention I'd appreciate it.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't see anybody bringing up meal replacement in this discussion (unless I missed it).

From slimfast back in the days to Soylent which I read about a few months ago. The founder certainly takes Food as Fuel to a new level with (from what I read) yucky drinks packed with everything you need to fuel your body. When I was reading about it he hadn't had a solid meal in months maybe years.

Why don't more people replace all their meals with meal replacement solutions if food really is only and ever just fuel? (genuine question. No sarcasm. I don't live in a country that sells them so I don't know why that wouldn't be a choice)
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    I don't see anybody bringing up meal replacement in this discussion (unless I missed it).

From slimfast back in the days to Soylent which I read about a few months ago. The founder certainly takes Food as Fuel to a new level with (from what I read) yucky drinks packed with everything you need to fuel your body. When I was reading about it he hadn't had a solid meal in months maybe years.

Why don't more people replace all their meals with meal replacement solutions if food really is only and ever just fuel? (genuine question. No sarcasm. I don't live in a country that sells them so I don't know why that wouldn't be a choice)

443krcm5pz0b.png
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »

My sister is one of those people who really do see food as fuel. She doesn't care about food at all except to fuel her body and she'd be happy to take her meals in pill form if she could get enough nutrition that way. She's tried soylent and would have been happy eating that way if it weren't so expensive. She gets no pleasure from food at all.