Food as Fuel

1235»

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I eat what I enjoy - lots of salads, (summer starting here) and vegetables, meat, eggs, fish, cottage cheese but stay away from bread (trigger food!) and take it easy on heavy carbs. I follow the MFP calculation on calories and macros and do as much exercise I manage to do with my huge weight.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    This has been an interesting discussion and because I just have to be different I am seeking neither control nor balance.

I am seeking non-attachment, a "I can take it or leave it" attitude even if I desire something in a very true sense.

So, if someone asked me "could you live without x food" for the rest of your life I can say "sure, I might not want to but I can."

There are certain things that I would never want to be without - the love of my friends and family, music, books etc but a piece of cake? Get outta here...

I'm with you.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    This has been an interesting discussion and because I just have to be different I am seeking neither control nor balance.

I am seeking non-attachment, a "I can take it or leave it" attitude even if I desire something in a very true sense.

So, if someone asked me "could you live without x food" for the rest of your life I can say "sure, I might not want to but I can."

There are certain things that I would never want to be without - the love of my friends and family, music, books etc but a piece of cake? Get outta here...

I'm with you.

Have you ever seen the episode of Seinfeld where George can't have sex? As he is unable to partake in the thing he really desires it frees up his mental energy to concentrate on other areas so he gets smarter, more well read and so on.

I have had a life long battle to keep my weight in check. I've been successful but the amount of mental and emotional resources I have had to devote to this part of my life, if I take a step back, has been staggering as is the opportunity cost of what could have been achieved if I didn't have to do so.

I'd like to reach a point in my life where it's not even something that I consider to any degree and it just is what it is.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Birthday cake makes me feel sick too. But so does a glass of apple juice or a sufficient quantity of dates. I'd be fine with one date though, and could probably stop at one. It takes more than two servings of Ben & Jerry's ice cream to make me feel sick. Probably because the fat helps balance out the sugar. However, when I have an open pint of ice cream, it's really hard to stop before I finish it, despite feeling sick as I'm eating it. I can safely have dates in the house since last winter, but if a pint of full fat and sugar ice cream lasts two days, I'm doing good.

I experimented with Halo Top, etc., but it just tastes wrong to me. Now that ice cream season is over, I got rid of two open pints of this type of "ice cream."

I can moderate Klondike bars. I don't like them as much, but they do satisfy the ice cream itch when I have that in the summer, and I can stop at one, and only have a few a week. I'd prefer B&J, but have but trying unsuccessfully to moderate it for years.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    amy19355 wrote: »
    My meals have a pattern of foods which I eat frequently. For example a protein and two veggies or a big salad or eggs and fixings. Most people would think it’s super boring
    However, I only eat food that I love.
    When I bite into my food I go mmmmm

YES! I too only eat food I love the taste of.

I'm not looking for sympathy from those here who enjoy their "fun food", and, i'm clearly failing to express my satisfaction with this plan for myself. I don't feel deprived at all, and, I guess that was my biggest eye-opener about the results of this program in my own life.

My idea of fun food is just different from others. A date stuffed with almond butter for me is like a chocolate sundae for others. I choose fruit for my sweet fix; sugars have a role in good nutrition, and I'm choosing natural over not.

BTW -someone asked how long I've been doing this, and the answer is almost two months, this time around. Beside the positive impact on my weight loss goals is the extra money in my food budget. Making my own meal-starters in two-week batches and freezing them ahead of time is really economical.

Will I never eat cake or ice cream again? i'm not going to be silly and say never again, because I almost certainly will have some. The way my body feels, internally, when I consume sugar is almost unpleasant now; it's like ants running through my bloodstream for about five minutes.

But, I will say that the older I get (I'm 62) the more interesting it is to me that I get the portion and moderation aspect of this under control; the biggest expense in retirement is medical care, and so much of that is related to poor food and exercise choices.

So you've done this before? What happened?

IMO, you should strive to change your habits for life. If your way of eating causes you stress and makes you 'fall off of the wagon' because it is too restrictive, then you get in this cycle of yo yo dieting and do even more harm to your health.

Good luck. I personally would never do this. I enjoy food and often look forward to it - Not because I have a problem with it - but because it can taste great and fit my overall plan. Nothing is completely avoided.