Food as Fuel

Options
The subject line "Food as Fuel" is a topic near and dear to the root of my personal success. I'm sharing it for however it might be useful to others who are on the journey of good nutrition.

I think of my physical self as an engine, not unlike a mechanical engine in a motorized vehicle.

Foods are equivalent to gas, oil and other fluids.

In practical application of this idea, it means I evaluate the needs of my engine (body and mind) and feed myself according to need. The corollary to this is that if I am not using my body or mind, I don't need to be eating food. (watching tv I don't count as mind-use).

I think of consuming food as an "eating event", and liken it to gassing up my car.

My desired macros are portioned in a balanced way at each eating event, for the purpose of not ending up with weird 'holes' in my daily nutrition and having to eat nothing but fat for dinner.

The upside of removing some food items from my menu has been no more heartburn or acid reflux (none at all!) which leads to better sleeping and a steadier energy level during the day.
Some of the things I've almost entirely eliminated from my diet because they provide so little benefit over a short time frame: beer, alcohol, added sugars/honey, artificial sweeteners of any kind including plant based extracts, bread products, crackers, and chips, most dairy (except yogurt and hard cheeses).

Some might consider my menu somewhat boring and repetitive; and I'd be inclined to agree since chicken, rice and beans, grits and oatmeal, sweet potatoes, plus some kind of green veggies are the everyday staples. My variety comes from spices and seasonings. On the other hand, to pick back up on the car analogy, my car doesn't much care that the gas from one brand to another isn't much different, but the car keeps going strong.

In the last month or so, I'm able to walk down the cookie aisle at the grocery and not be tempted at all by the shiny sugary sweets. There is an unopened container of ice cream in my freezer that doesn't say a word to me. I got such a belly ache from the last piece of pie I allowed myself that I can't even look at pie with any interest.

The longer I go on feeling good from the food I am eating, it is easier and easier to skip over even the hint of a craving for something that isn't fuel-worthly.

I'm an all or nothing kind of gal, meaning I don't do well moderating myself, and for this reason I believe the Food as Fuel concept works really well for me.

Good fitness to us all!
Amyfb

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    Why can't ice cream be fuel? It has carbs, fats and protein. I just don't get the need to restrict this kind of item in an appropriate dose and in the context of an overall healthy diet.

Or pizza. Pizza is fantastic fuel. Pizza and ice cream are definitely two of my favorites.

We had pizza and a sundae bar at work today. I did an hour on the ARCTrainer and a little circuit training early this morning and had a banana for breakfast, though it ended up augmented by a donut (also part of the office celebration). I fueled up to the tune of ~1100 calories for lunch. I will eat a light dinner (Sea Pak shrimp spring rolls; 227 calories for 4), still manage another snack and end up in deficit; I am in maintenance but want to be a little lower in my range. Anyway, it was a fun social thing besides being delicious. I turn down a lot of treats and whatnot at the office but I like to join in sometimes.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    The car metaphor is nice until you consider your car isn't sentient.
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The car metaphor is nice until you consider your car isn't sentient.

...and humans aren't machines, and don't function like them.

I don't know. I get your points, but I think OP's analogy is a lot better than the anthropomorphizing you see so often that attributes sentience to parts of your body other than your brain, so that it is susceptible to being "fooled" or "confused" by various dieting tactics.