November Self-Care Challenge

Options
PKM0515
PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
edited November 2018 in Challenges
I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by starting this thread, but I need some inspiration. :)

Personally, I want to think about three forms of self-care daily:
  • Something for the body.
  • Something for the mind.
  • Something for the spirit.

Replies

• PKM0515
    Options
    Self-care for the body: bought a new, soothing facial cleanser instead of the soap I've used "forever".

Self-care for the mind: read a chapter in a novel; did some "scary" paperwork that I have been procrastinating on and agonizing over for MONTHS.

Self-care for the spirit: started the day reading three devotionals, all of which hit home; stopped outside in the early morning and really noticed the beauty of this autumn day.

I feel like I need to be more "intentional" about self-care and my life in general.

Looking forward to reading everyone else's wonderful ideas!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for 3 and half years, and thanks to learning lots from it, I have my weight, logging, eating, and exercising sorted.

I've been alcohol-free for the past 9 months, and that plus this thread has helped my creativity such as writing and drawing.

Very happy, and want this to continue!

November 2018

Goal 1: A 30 km run.
    Goal 2: 2 blog posts.
    Goal 3: No shopping for myself. (No Spend November.)
    Goal 4: Handstands/stretching daily.
    Goal 5: Draw every day.

Thought I'd try a No Spend November. These are my rules:

No-Spend November:
    1. Spend no money on clothes.
    2. Stay out of Target; no browsing.
    3. No online shopping for myself.
    4. Remember Buyer’s Remorse when tempted to buy, and remember my decluttered space.

I figure with Christmas coming up, I want to have a frugal month so that I can afford Chrimbo in December.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Hi! I’d like to join 🙂

Self Care for the Mind/Spirit It’s rainy and cold outside today so I made myself a cup of honey chamomile tea and started my gratitude journal today (it’s my goal to write down two things I’m grateful for every day of November/December). I feel like this works for both mind/spirit.

Self Care for the Body I bought a new moisturizer for my face because my skin is really dried out. I’m also planning on getting a run in tonight after dinner.

Love yours! :)

I squeezed in a 20-minute, late afternoon walk just to enjoy the beautiful afternoon and the joy of movement.
  • PKM0515
    Options
    @Orphia, you're an inspiration to us all! :)
  • Orphia
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    @Orphia, you're an inspiration to us all! :)

@SaraKim17 Thanks very much, sweetie, and thank you for starting the November thread!
  • Orphia
    Options
    My self care has been 3 times a day physical therapy exercises at home & walking daily to keep my spirits up.

@MadisonMolly2017 Quoting and tagging you in the new thread so your post from October doesn't get ignored.

Well done for coping with your broken arm. Hugs.

How long since the injury? What's the prognosis now? Is it painful?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I took a nice, long bath. So relaxing and warm... <3
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,017 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    My self care has been 3 times a day physical therapy exercises at home & walking daily to keep my spirits up.

@MadisonMolly2017 Quoting and tagging you in the new thread so your post from October doesn't get ignored.

@Orphia Thank you!
    Almost 6 weeks since injury, 4 weeks today from surgery.

Prognosis: I think full or close to full range of motion. Passive only motion for 3 more weeks minimum. X-ray then & surgeons decides if I can do active motion physical therapy at that point. Probably back tonpilates in February. It’s a tough injury, but I’m doing everything they say I should. You kind of have to push into the pain to get full range of motion, it appears. Ice packs help & Tylenol.

Yes, it’s been quite painful, but less so in the past couple of days!!! It’s a mental game, for sure.

TY again.
  • Orphia
    Options

@Orphia Thank you!

Prognosis: I think full or close to full range of motion. Passive only motion for 3 more weeks minimum. X-ray then & surgeons decides if I can do active motion physical therapy at that point. Probably back tonpilates in February. It’s a tough injury, but I’m doing everything they say I should. You kind of have to push into the pain to get full range of motion, it appears. Ice packs help & Tylenol.

Yes, it’s been quite painful, but less so in the past couple of days!!! It’s a mental game, for sure.

TY again.

Are you able to go for walks?
  • PKM0515
    Options

@Orphia Thank you!

TY again.

So sorry to hear about your broken arm! (Somehow I managed to miss this.)

I'm sure this must be so frustrating, not to mention painful. 😞
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

@Orphia Thank you!

TY again.

Are you able to go for walks?

@Orphia
    Yes, I walk every day in nature except my surgery date when they wouldn’t let me. Lol

Avg12K steps daily now

My walks are helping my body & spirit - invaluably so

@SaraKim17 I also started reading chapters for my mind!
    I also need to do more self care in each day.

I listen to relaxation tapes too

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,178 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    November 1
    • Something for the body. Did some Tai Chi before breakfast. And walked after dinner
    • Something for the mind. Sorted out some of my poetry.
    • Something for the spirit. Did a mindfulness meditation when I woke up. Worked on a sunrise watercolour painting I started last week. Painting always relaxes me.

November 2
    • Something for the body. 20 mins of lower body circuits before breakfast. Went for a walk in the town park after Latin, and for a short stroll along the coast near my home. .
    • Something for the mind. Went to my Latin Study group this morning. It helps to keep my mind active.
    • Something for the spirit. Started the day with a yoga routine, and finished the practice with several rounds of Salute to the Sun and deep breathing.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Self Care for Mind Found a new podcast to listen to today! I listened to it on my commute home today.

Self Care for Body Took my dog for an exta long walk today. I start my 10K training plan next week so I’m giving myself the next couple days off.

Self-Care got Spirit Gratitude journal day number two. I feel like this is going to be such a great habit for me :)
  • PKM0515
    Options
    Self-care for the body: this is a tough one today, but I did sleep quite well.

Self-care for the mind: had meeting re scary, long-procrastinated paperwork. (I called and arranged the meeting yesterday.)

Self-care for the spirit: started the day with three devotionals.

Unfortunately, I'm binging on Halloween treats at the moment. :/
  • Orphia
    Options
    Body: Did my daily 5 minutes stretching & handstands. Walked 8 km including parkrun 5 km with a friend who uses MFP and we had a geeky chat.

Mind: My daily 5 minutes minimum on Duolingo. Finally did a one line drawing of my friend and her husband at their wedding I was happy with after 12 tries over recent days. Sorted my finances spreadsheet.

I'm not religious, and I have philosophical objections to describing anything "spiritual" about myself, but I do love how completing things for the body and mind make me go all Zenmode and happy. :smile:
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made sure to do some yoga. November in really trying to hit all of my goals and one of them is getting a minimum of seven hours of sleep a night. Hot it both nights so far. Today I took an extra session at the gym to not only work through some aggression, but to also work on my roundhouses. I am also enjoying the way my bullet journal and my health collection for the month are visually appealing to me. Today I also say down and write for the first time in years. I've been trying to get back to it and it felt good.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Body, mind and spirit all rolled into one : I tackled my mess of a backyard, got rid of all the junk (removed some old, broken down planter boxes, tossed a bunch of broken bricks, construction debris, dead branches, weeds, fallen leaves, etc...

This is something I've needed to do for a long time, but I have been putting it off forever. (I get stuck sometimes.) It wasn't a horrendous mess (only took a couple of hours to tidy up), but it was shabby and cluttered, and looking out the window I was getting a daily reminder of my failure to get this thing done.

What a weight off my mind! Overcoming inertia and actually getting things done always feels so uplifting. And it looks pretty good out there now. It's actually pleasant to sit outside again and watch the birds at the feeders. B)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Nov 1
    Self Care for my Body: Walking & PT times 3. Ice packs. Spent time decluttering, labeling, re-arranging furniture- much nicer now! Relaxed in evening.

Self-Care for my Mind: Read an article of where cats first were domesticated in the world & why they became connected to humans!

Self-Care for my Spirit: Expressed my deep gratitude & thanks for excellent medical news!! Vastly relieved. The necklace I made (see below) reminded me that I am loved!

Self-Care for my Creative Self: Made a necklace when I woke up using beads & pretty ribbons. Wore it all day!