Cutting using TDEE

Options
My TDEE is about 2500 currently at 180lbs, 5'10'' 20yrs old. About 4 months ago I was at 220 lbs and I decided to drop my calorie intake to around 1500. I lost 40lbs but I clearly lost a lot of muscle mass. I still have weight to lose as I am at 17% and want to get to 10% body fat. I recently decided I should go from my true TDEE and set my daily calorie intake to 2000 but I am really afraid I might start gaining weight (weight from fat not muscle). Is it possible for me to gain weight even though my TDEE is calculated around 2500? I was around 1500 for so long I feel as though doing a 500 calorie increase will make me gain weight. (I definitely understand the rate of my loss will decrease) Also for reference, I do boxing training 3 times a week, and the other 3-4 day I do 20 min run before doing various strength training depending on the day.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is 2500 calories how would you gain weight on 2,000? I'm 5'10" and 43 years old...I easily lose 1 Lb per week eating 2300-2500.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No, you won't gain weight eating 2000 cals if your TDEE is 2500.

IMO that's still too large a deficit given your stats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    No, you won't gain weight eating 2000 cals if your TDEE is 2500.

IMO that's still too large a deficit given your stats.

Especially true if your goal includes improving body composition (more muscle) to make that leanness look nice.

At your age, you're at prime time for adding muscle - easier to do now than at any future point in your life, with the same effort investment. If you want to be lean and muscular, take advantage of that: Go for a very slow loss rate, get enough protein, prioritize strength training with a good progressive program.

Consider:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

and perhaps even:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

I know, at age 20, a year seems like infinity, but your 62-year-old MFP granny is here to tell you that patience is a really good way to reach your goals. ;)

Best wishes!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    And may we say congratulations!

Anyway, if you can accurately and consistently remain at any deficit you will lose weight. Sounds like you are about ready to learn how to get some exercise in your life. The muscle will come in spades at your age. Have a blast!
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on the weight loss. You may benefit from a reverse diet. Add 100 calories a week, then another 100 again, until you reach maintenance. It may take several weeks for you to be able to increase without fat gains. If you have a spike in weight, hold on adding that week until your body can adjust.