Can’t exercise

Hi is there anybody else here who can’t exercise due to ill health?! How have you got on?! Please frel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other :)

Replies

• Thank you Hun I will definitely take your advice :smile:
  • anitakulick
    anitakulick Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in the same situation. But we can't give up!!! I used to exercise vigorously an hour everyday - mostly walking and sometimes jogging. But now due to heath issues I can't do either. In addition to that, I'm in my late 60s so it's been a terrible battle with my weight. I've gained 30 pounds (some due to the medications I'm taking but not that much) but also because I'm eating more and moving much less. What I can do is the stationary bike. It's in my bedroom and I do first thing in the morning otherwise I'd never do it. I'm glad you posted this question. I know that sometimes we feel we're alone in this - but we're not!!!
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    aerobic or resistance exercise? I understand many overweight people can't manage aerobic (cardio) due to lung or heart conditions but what about resistance (weight) exercise? there are many exercises that you can do even in a sitting position that can help. Even a small amount of weight is a good start.

Ideally the goal is to just get moving more. Add a healthy diet filled with nutritious foods and you should be well on your way.

Personally I have mobility issues but I love the water. I also have COPD so swimming is out but I can manage 90 minutes a day of leisurely "water walking". This activity is great for people with ill health and poor mobility. At the recreation centre which I attend, I see more and more elderly and obese people coming to do water walking everyday. You should try it!
  • @GailHawkins I suffer from a vestibular disorder so find it hard to get out there and walk but I’m determined to lose the weight I know I can do it no matter how long it takes
  • @anitakulick thank you Hun I’m glad I’m not alone in this.... I’ve got a vestibular disorder that stops me from doing a lot of things unfortunately :( keep on doing what your doing Hun you will achieve your goals no matter how long it takes good luck Hun x
  • @Dilvish I suffer from a vestibular disorder which means I’m dizzy constantly I’m not a very strong swimmer but I will definitely look into what you suggested thank you
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Lost the first 20kg-25kg or so with absolutely zero extra activity so 'exercise' while good for you is by no means necessary to lose weight.

In fact my rate of weight loss didn't increase when I did start exercising as the added activity would quite naturally make me hungrier so I'd eat more. So I'd off set the 300 calories burned during a session with 300 extra calories. So while exercising didn't improve my weight loss it most certainly did improve my health and fitness.

In my experience 90% of weight loss comes down to what you eat (75%) and moving more (being more active) during the day (15%).

G'luck
  • Jackslight3775
    Jackslight3775 Posts: 1 Member
    If you are able to sit up for a certain amount of time, I suggest maybe trying some light to medium weight dumbells or even some exercise bands. You can sit and lift them. A lot of weights and exercise bands come with a DVD. Do what you can and start out slow and work your way up. Good Luck!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Katie have you seen the sort of mini bicycles that you can put on the floor and pedal while you're sitting on a chair? Could you get your hands on one of those and pedal while you're at your desk?

Aquatic classes where you're held up with a floating ring and doing low resistance exercises might also be an option, if you can get to and from the pool safely. Maybe starting out with exercises/videos designed for those in wheelchairs or for seniors would be a good start, as they'd be slow and wouldn't involve sudden movements that could trigger vertigo.

I have a friend with a wicked case of what they think is vestibular migraines, going on for months now. It's definitely a hard road - but you can do it. :)
  • Thanks so much guys you’ve all been so helpful :smile: xx
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    edited January 2019
    Your doctor should be able to give you a list of suggestions for exercises that would work with your health issues.
    Swimming....doesn't mean you have to swim. There are a lot of water exercises that you can do in the water that aren't swimming. And I am just now starting to use bands in a mobility class I joined. I can't believe the ease or the benefits of the bands to do some stretching and strengthening that I couldn't do on my own. I find them amazing!

I've always been able to lose just watching calories, I am just never motivated to do that for more than 5 months at a time lol. Just find what works for you! Good luck, you can do this!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    I have done it both ways. I have lost weight, without exercise, and I have lost with regular exercise. I prefer regular exercise, but it's not always feasible. Good Luck !
  • Thanks for the reply guys :smile: good luck on your journeys :smile: xx
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    what about asking your doctor for recommended exercises. maybe you could find some you can do while seated, light dumbbells and stretchy bands for your arms and they even have ones you can attach to your ankles for leg extensions. Just an idea.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    I lose more weigh w/o exercise than I do with. Not sure if it's all mental but when I need to lose I quick working out and focus on the diet. Lost 50lbs in 3 months 5 years ago doing this.
  • I lose more weigh w/o exercise than I do with. Not sure if it's all mental but when I need to lose I quick working out and focus on the diet. Lost 50lbs in 3 months 5 years ago doing this.

Wow that’s absolutely amazing I hope I can lose as much as that well done Hun
  • what about asking your doctor for recommended exercises. maybe you could find some you can do while seated, light dumbbells and stretchy bands for your arms and they even have ones you can attach to your ankles for leg extensions. Just an idea.

That’s a good idea thank you 😊 I will definitely look into it
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Certainly doable. All coma ward patients are completely weight controlled via monitoring caloric intake and have no physical activity.

I look at weight loss as more of a secondary effect from exercise. Considering the weight loss impact of physical activity is relatively low this shouldn't be much of an issue. You may even find that your physical ability increases as you reach your ideal weight.