I have no motivation to stop smokimg.

Options

Replies

• getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There is a light a the end of the tunnel! Quitting smoking is the BEST thing I ever did for myself. You ARE worth it!
    I used a site called quitsmokingjournals.com for support and chewed nicotine gum for a while. Good luck!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYVdu-hxIZKsb1V7iuKid_N6li6l_dxO1wTHL29f3MoBIPGLe3
  • kfavulous
    kfavulous Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    .........I actually still really like smoking. I know the risks, I know the life ahead of me... I'm active and take small victories where I can get it... I'm cool with smoking for the time being .... no one here can convince smokers otherwise - it's something we all have to do for ourselves.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I have found an online version of Allen Carr's Easy Way book so I am reading it right now. Yay!

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Thanks everyone.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Some more negative reinforcers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHNI120Fjt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOPYoalGL9k

I used to be a light to moderate smoker until 23 years ago, when I quit cold turkey on News Year's Eve.

Good luck with your quest.
  • acogg
    Options
    This is so amazing to me! I am on page 100 of Allen Carr's book and I will never smoke again or even cheat. I cannot believe that demon is gone! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Last night it was hard to quit. I was desperate for motivation. Right now, I know I will never smoke again. Not one more puff. I am weeping with joy!
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am a respiratory therapist and COPD is a long slow way to die. Try plugging your nose and breathing through a straw for an hour and then think about doing that 24X7. Emphysema cannot be reversed
    I worked at a hospital, and was amazed at how many RT's smoked. WHY does someone with so much knowledge/first hand experience, still smoke?

Yes there are a lot of them who smoke as well as doctors. I think a lot of them smoked before they were in the field. I did but I was one of the lucky ones who quit when I REALLY saw the end result
  • BrookieTrout626
    BrookieTrout626 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nothing that anyone says in this post will be enough to make you quit. My grandfather died with emphysema and a massive heart attack while walking around with an oxygen tank on wheels. Did that even stop me? Nope! What did stop me was the heart palpitations, the being hospitalized with bronchial spasms and having to use an inhaler because I couldn't take deep enough breaths anymore. I'm 29 years old. I started smoking casually at 16 then regularly at 18. My kids didn't make me quit, my spouse didn't make me want to quit, the horrible smell on my clothes or hair none of that. Getting winded while doing anything and everything and feeling like turd every minute of my life did. You have to be fed up with it and really want to do it for you. In 4 minutes I will have smoked my last cigarette 200 days ago :) Never felt better and never going back. Good luck, I hope you find what works for you.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This is so amazing to me! I am on page 100 of Allen Carr's book and I will never smoke again or even cheat. I cannot believe that demon is gone! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Last night it was hard to quit. I was desperate for motivation. Right now, I know I will never smoke again. Not one more puff. I am weeping with joy!

Allen Carr's book helped me a lot...I had my last cigarette on October 26th, 2009 and have never looked back. I started smoking at 11 years of age and by my 30's was smoking two packs a day! I quit at 61 after a stint in the hospital with the H1N1 flu...that's 50 years of total addiction. I also used a website called Quitnet...I give full credit to both the book and the website for helping me to quit.

Not one more puff is my motto...I even have the T-shirt! Quitting is the best possible thing that you can do for yourself...I wish you every success!
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been smoking off and on since I was 11 and I know that right now I'm not ready to quit just because I've got so much going on it's just going to add to my stress. For me the want for cigarettes never really went away permanently but over time you'll learn to deal with them, they only apparently last for 1-5 minutes.. If you want to quit and have the motivation/willpower to do it, you can do it :) Good luck, I wish you a smoke free future!
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Chantix can cause depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviour:

From wikipedia:

Depression and suicide
    In November 2007, the FDA announced it had received post-marketing reports that patients using varenicline (chantix) for smoking cessation had experienced several serious side-effects, including suicidal ideation and occasional suicidal behavior, erratic behavior, and drowsiness. On February 1, 2008 the FDA issued an alert to further clarify its findings, noting that "it appears increasingly likely that there is an association between Chantix and serious neuropsychiatric symptoms." It is unknown whether the psychiatric symptoms are related to the drug or to nicotine withdrawal symptoms, although not all patients had stopped smoking. The FDA also recommended that health care professionals and patients watch for behavioral and mood changes. In May 2008, Pfizer updated the safety information associated with varenicline, noting that "some patients have reported changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal thoughts or actions."
    As of July 1, 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration requires Chantix (varenicline) to carry a black box warning, the agency's strongest safety warning, due to public reports of side effects including depression, suicidal thoughts, and suicidal actions.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I am a respiratory therapist and COPD is a long slow way to die. Try plugging your nose and breathing through a straw for an hour and then think about doing that 24X7. Emphysema cannot be reversed

My mother in law died of this. It carried on getting worse even after she quit smoking (i.e. she quit too late for it to make any difference). I still miss her, she was great, like a second mother :cry:

OP if you don't want to quit for yourself, then please bear in mind the family you leave behind who don't want to see you suffer and die from nasty, preventable diseases.

The breathing through a straw 24/7 is about right. Just walking across your living room is like climbing a mountain.
  • kimscheu
    kimscheu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gave up one month ago today. No one can tell you, you just have to be ready
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh good job on getting rid of the urge! Was there any particular passage that gave you that spark?
  • kimscheu
    kimscheu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Very true
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

sorry I missed this when I replied before.... I'm really really happy you feel this way now :flowerforyou: I haven't heard of that book before but I'll remember the title if anyone else I know wants to quit smoking.
  • juliejean67
    juliejean67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Spend a few days looking after my mum, that will put you off, in 18 months she went from being a very active happy woman to a sad lady who is so ill she can't even get to the toilet or wipe her own bum because she gets so out of breath, she's not living just existing, and it's all thanks to smoking, and to think she paid to get like that. She quit when things got too bad, but by then it was too late, prevention is better than cure, It certainly helped me, I quit 4 years ago, not had a puff since and never will. I don't mean to sound so harsh but the reality is she never smoked more than 5 a day, and she still got emphysema.
  • acogg
    Options
    Oh good job on getting rid of the urge! Was there any particular passage that gave you that spark?

Not really, but the general theme of the book is that nicotine is an addiction and we lie to ourselves that there are positive reasons to smoke, when we are actually just trying to make it from one fix to the next. Instead of thinking of quitting or giving up cigarettes as if it is a sacrifice, we need to view it as being liberated from an ugly disease that is also very expensive to maintain.
  • acogg
    Options
    Don't allow my tiny post to be a substitute for the real thing. Read it for yourself! Free and online. It has changed my life and I never imagined that a book could be that powerful.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I work in the beauty industry and I have 40 year old women who come to me and look like they're 50-60 because of decades of smoking. They REEK of smoke and they want me to find them a face cream that will get rid of their wrinkles. Honey, there isn't a face cream around that will reverse decades of smoking. If smoking does that to your skin--one of your largest organs--think of what it does to the other organs. Gross. :sick: