Questions For Those Who Monitor Their Heart Rate while Exercising

Options
Although perceived effort is a fairly estimate of intensity, I prefer to monitor my heart rate during exercise in conjunction with how i feel. Sometimes i feel like i'm working harder that i actually am, and sometimes i feel like i'm not working as hard as i actually am. Using heart rate, there is no doubt, and using heart rate in conjunction with perceived exertion can tell you if you are recovering enough (or not enough).

I feel that heart rate training is a good way to improve cardio fitness level because the basic rule of thumb to get a minimum training effect is to keep your heart rate in the cardio zone for a minimum of 20 minutes non stop and a minimum of 3 times a week. You can't do that unless you know what your heart rate is during the workout.

The most important thing (and the first thing you should know) in heart rate training is your "true max heart rate". Since all your heart rate zones are based on MHR, they will all be off if your MHR is not correct. There are several ways to get your true max heart rate, from different formulas, to different tests you can do with a heart rate monitor, to having it done in a lab.

There are also different ways to setup heart rate zones: peercent of MHR, percent of HRR, percent of LT, etc...

Also, there are different zone systems: 3 zone, 5 zone, custom with sub zones, etc...

Which brings me to my questions.

what is your age and your MHR?

how did you get your MHR?

how do you have your zones setup (MHR, HRR, LT)?

what zone system do you use (3 zone, 5 zone, custom)?

my answers are as follows...

I'm 61 and currently have mine set at 174.

I used the EDWARDS formula. In addition i have got my HR up to 169 using a heart rate monitor enough times to be confident that the EDWARDS formula is probably a more accurate number for me. An ultra runner once told me to use the highest heart rate recorded and add 5 to that number. So 169 + 5 = 174.

I currently have my zones set to percent of MHR.

I currently use a standard 5 zone system.

I am interested to know how other people that do heart rate training set their numbers.

thanks in advance,

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I'm 40. I think my MHR is in the ballpark of 190, not really sure. My LTHR when running is 165 bpm, on the bike it's around 155-160. I base my heart rate zones in my LTHR. Sometimes I look at the time in zones chart after I do something, if I'm concerned. Rarely look at it while I'm exercising.

It's pretty much the case that if I do anything hard, it's going to increase my heart rate. If I so something sustained, my heart rate will stay elevated. Yesterday I beat my best time on a segment, you can see what part of the ride this was just from looking at the HR or power (or speed) charts. I think this is one of those causation/correlation things.

Also, there's value in moderate intensity exercise, both for fitness and weight loss.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    First of all, I disagree with there is anything "reliable" about either HR-based training or RPE. But that's not really what you're asking. So...

When my training is really focused and dialed in, I base HR zones off of my LTHR, not my Max HR. There are reasons to workout in different zones at different intensities. Whether or not your goals necessitate training in any specific (or all) zones is going to vary person to person. But those workouts are usually done indoors, under more controlled circumstances.

Outdoors it's too hard to manage my HR and there are too many factors that can influence it, especially when you get into higher HR zones that can cover much narrower HR ranges.

Specifically to your questions...
    I'm 42.
    Max achieved HR is 192.
    I use 5 zones based off of my LTHR.

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I use mine to see if i am really getting tired (HR above 170) or is it just mental.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

Age 63 (in a couple weeks), about 180bpm (not retested in a few years, but physiological benchmarks suggest it hasn't changed much, and one would expect only gradual change in someone who stays sufficiently active).
    Max test on a rowing machine. In brief, keep increasing pace at given intervals until the new higher pace cannot be sustained for 5 strokes, while someone else records heart rate every 15 seconds. Graph & analyze.
    HRR.
    Mostly 3 from a practical standpoint, but it's a grouping down from 5 rather than the standard 3, so I guess that's custom? ;)

Truthfully, I don't train in a structured way anymore. I keep monitoring heart rate because I think data is fun, and it helps me push myself to keep intensity up during workouts (when appropriate - base is a thing ;) ).

Heart rate, like anything else, is an approximation and guide. I observe the changes in heart rate response with weather, fatigue, hydration, etc., and it's important not to tell oneself fairy tales about the precision of our training. I'm not, never was, never will be an elite athlete, so approximate is plenty good enough for me.

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and my MHR is ~190 (that’s 7 (5-10) above the highest observed number which has repeatedly occurred after series of max effort sprints). Don’t really use MHR for a lot so this method is accurate enough.

Zone calculations and number of zones and any other HR voodoo is determined by my coach. Based on the ranges he gives me, I’m guessing they are based on LTHR but I dunno. That’s what I pay him for. I’m the worker bee. He gives me a range if it is applicable to that particular workout.

But just as an aside, HR is not gospel by any stretch of the imagination. I ran a little over 1000 miles training for the marathon I ran a month ago. They were almost all “easy” runs. Depending on the day, the weather, my fatigue, my mood, my coffee consumption, the alignment of the planets, my level of recovery, etc. my HR ranged from 110-150 on those runs, with the vast majority being in the 125-130 range.

When I was at the starting line for the marathon-just standing-my HR was 148. Obviously that’s a pretty extreme example, but HR leaves PLENTY of doubt. Thank goodness I had something to go off other than HR - which was obviously seriously affected by lots of things other than level of exertion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No idea what my MHR is. I don't really monitor anything or try to work in some specific zone...I ride primarily for my heart health and recreation. Even if I'm actively training for something, I don't really get all into it as I'm a recreational athlete, not a competitive one.

On most of my rides, my average HR is around 140...it'll go 150-155 if I'm doing hills or intervals on the trainer.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Really the only time I check deliberately is if I am looking to take a run break because I'm feeling worn out and want to see if it's because I'm approaching my max, which seems to be around 170 those times I feel like I need to pack in whatever I'm doing (mostly running up hills).
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I've tracked it with a HRM for awhile, especially when I'm working on improving my cardio just before race season kicks off.

This last year (at the time, 39, F) I maxed out one day at 192 - that was NOT something I could sustain, but I wanted to see how hard I could push.

170-184 was a good "hard cardio" zone I could maintain for a period of time.
    145-170 was a "sustainable for a long period of time" cardio zone
    Below 145 felt pretty easy in terms of cardio "strain."

Within a matter of a couple/few minutes of rest/cool down, I would typically drop back to the low 120 range.

Current RHR while sitting here at my desk is around 66bpm, would be less as a true resting HR.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    Sometimes i feel like i'm working harder that i actually am, and sometimes i feel like i'm not working as hard as i actually am. Using heart rate, there is no doubt

I don't agree. For example, though I typically have a low HR, (low 40's as true RHR, mid 50's while sitting around) I happened to look at my HRM while standing at the starting line before this year's first race, and my heart rate was already 105bpm while standing still. So variability does happen, for a number of reasons.

Regarding what I do use: LTHR for running (not Max HR) and I use Power Meter values (watts) when riding the bike. I do periodic threshold tests during training to get these values.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I had mine tested I was 54 and it was 176bpm.

In a sports science lab on an exercise bike using a ramp test to failure while hooked up to breath analyser as part of a VO2 max test. Hit all criteria for a true max HR, felt like I had been hit by a bus for 3 days, gave myself exercise induced asthma. Not something to be attempted lightly.

MHR

I used 5 zones but only for a limited time (one season).

Zone training was useful in year one of serious training but wasn't required after that.
    I quickly learned what HR translated to all day pace, brisk pace, highest sustainable pace, too high to be sustainable pace, into the red zone and back off you silly old bugger pace..... :)

"Using heart rate, there is no doubt"
    - no that's not true, many factors outside exercise intensity affect HR.
  • ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My MHR is 202, as discovered when I wore my heart rate monitor in a sprint on water rowing race. I am 38. I base training zones on HRR and use 5 zones, because that is what my current rowing training plan uses.

I haven't been using a HRM for very long. I am finding it useful for some of the near max sessions that I do. In training I have a tendency to allow my mind to give up long before my body will do - seeing the numbers on screen telling me that I am nowhere near max heart rate, and have pushed harder and longer than this in races allows me to quiet the voice in my head telling me I should just stop!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'd think the "Old School" way to do it would be to use 220-age for MHR, check HR by manual palpation at the carotid artery, and train in the "fat burning" zone for max effect. And record all the above in a notebook using pencil and paper.

hahaha... good one.
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I guess I will find out when they do my treadmill stress test.
    I have an abnormal EKG.
    My resting heart rate is around 50 with it sometimes dropping to 47 or so.
    That worried my doc and she has ordered a stress test and cardiac ultrasound.
    If I live through the stress test I should know my max number.
    Right now I just keep my HR above 130 while exercising.
    Seems to be helping because putting on my socks and boots is not an aerobic exercise anymore. :)