Eating Out Sucks

Replies

• Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    I am not familiar with The Keg, but just looked it up online. That place actually looks like you could get a decent meal. The Pistachio Salmon for one was under 600 calories. (That would have been my choice... or asked them to hold the pistachio and grill the salmon. )
    Don't be afraid to ask for substitutions, add-ons or cooked differently.

Last night I went to an Italian restaurant. I got the salmon, had them hold the pasta, double serving of veggies, and an extra chicken breast to meet my macros. (Did not even touch the bread or dipping oil sitting on the table). I make it work for me.. not for them.

Definitely hold any sauces, butters, creams, etc. Those calories will add up quick.
    I have also been known to bring my own food into fast food places that others are eating at. I might get dirty looks, but no one has said anything to me yet.
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Went out with family and ended up at The Keg. I didn't think much of it assuming i could find SOMETHING under 700 calories. But there was 1 option that really is not something i enjoy eating (cold appetizer shrimp or appetizer cold tuna taco - i hate cold fish). Even the salads were around that or more WITHOUT protein.

Just frustrating. Glad they have calories on the menus but I long for the day when i don't have to eat a house salad dressing on the side when I go out.

I went over what I wanted but got a decent meal of tuna and vegatables. I skipped the cauliflower rice as I hear those usually have tons of added fat to make them more pleasing to customers to cut a few calories.

The main issue is this wasn't the first meal out that week. The day before i'd gone out on a celebratory meal and splurged. And we just went thru halloween which had a few "oops" moments. ..

I go out to eat quite often. I always do my best to research the calories ahead of time and have a game plan. If I need to eat a smaller lunch and breakfast for the sake of getting what I want at a restaurant, then I do that. For example, many times on Friday nights I know I'm going out, so I usually have just coffee for breakfast and a small apple or something for lunch. I manage just fine. Then I can have my 1400 calorie meal at dinner time and get the burger I had my eye on, while still being under my calorie goals!

If I'm going out for dinner but didn't plan ahead, I'll still order what I want but cut it in half, that way if the meal is 1500 calories, I'm really only eating 750. I don't often take the leftovers home though, don't wanna be tempted to eat the rest later.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I have less variety when I go out to eat (I'm a kosher vegetarian in a city where most kosher restaurants offer some variation of pizza, felafel, wraps/sandwiches and stirfry). My general go-tos are 1-2 slices of pizza with cheese and whatever non-fried/non-starchy veg options strike my fancy and/or vegetarian pepperoni (there's one kosher-certified brand in the supermarkets. I know the pizza place uses it, so I log it as '1 large cheese slice' plus however many slices of fake meat were on the slice) or shakshuka (poached egg in tomato sauce). Sometimes a roasted veggie and hummus wrap.

We tried out a new Indian takeout place. I messaged their Facebook page ahead of time to ask what their lower calorie options were and whether they knew the calories. (They didn't know the calories, but they did confirm that lentil dal, channa masala, or their pepper and eggplant curry were their lower-cal options).

I also generally try to get my exercise in before I go so I know how much extra I have to play with and eat less during the day.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    rhenry2424 wrote: »
    I am not familiar with The Keg, but just looked it up online. That place actually looks like you could get a decent meal. The Pistachio Salmon for one was under 600 calories. (That would have been my choice... or asked them to hold the pistachio and grill the salmon. )
    Don't be afraid to ask for substitutions, add-ons or cooked differently.

Last night I went to an Italian restaurant. I got the salmon, had them hold the pasta, double serving of veggies, and an extra chicken breast to meet my macros. (Did not even touch the bread or dipping oil sitting on the table). I make it work for me.. not for them.

Definitely hold any sauces, butters, creams, etc. Those calories will add up quick.
    I have also been known to bring my own food into fast food places that others are eating at. I might get dirty looks, but no one has said anything to me yet.

ditto - if i found the right menu - a steak would have given me 350ish calories - which leaves anothern 300 for sides - i probably would have given myself some night out leeway - or saved some of the steak for the next day
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Ooh, haven't been to the Keg for years. They just couldn't cook a good steak.

We went for a birthday party once and my steak got returned 3 times. By the time a correctly cooked one appeared I had been stuffed in the truck in an alcohol haze (legless).

If I had to go to the Keg I would probably just get a salad with dressing on the side, and since they do a cold prawn dish, would ask if I could get a dozen grilled prawns to accompany it.
    The above is actually one of my favourite meals so would find no hardship eating it.

My personal rant would come if I felt obliged by a special occasion to go to a 'dry' restaurant where the majority of the food was deep fried.

Deep fried, except for fish and chips (maybe a couple of other things too but can't think of them), just doesn't appeal to my palette, nothing wrong with it.

Cheers, h.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

The one here does a real good steak, but I like their prime rib better. Like I say, I don't go out often, mostly because my wife has so many food issues. But when we do go out, the Keg is one place she can get a meal that doesn't upset her.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member

The one here does a real good steak, but I like their prime rib better. Like I say, I don't go out often, mostly because my wife has so many food issues. But when we do go out, the Keg is one place she can get a meal that doesn't upset her.

It probably does depend on the individual Keg franchise, we have 2-3. But after a few problems with the meals, that one where I was stuffed in the truck was the one that broke the camels back.

Same for White Spot. SO used to like there for breakfast when we were travelling. We had to give it up after 2x my upset tummy delayed us.

I am known as the bad meal queen BTW. If something is going to go wrong, it is usually my meal.

Cheers, h.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

It probably does depend on the individual Keg franchise, we have 2-3. But after a few problems with the meals, that one where I was stuffed in the truck was the one that broke the camels back.

Same for White Spot. SO used to like there for breakfast when we were travelling. We had to give it up after 2x my upset tummy delayed us.

I am known as the bad meal queen BTW. If something is going to go wrong, it is usually my meal.

Cheers, h.

I miss going to the White Spot Triple O's for a bacon cheddar burger and fries. Again, the one nearest me is good. I used to go once a week or so.

Who says dieting doesn't suck :(
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member

So, you just wanted to rant and complain?

Alrighty then. Carry on. We were trying to give you solutions but that's not what you wanted?

:flowerforyou:

yes this was a rant. i know the solutions and looking thru a menu, i looked thru them at this restaurant and was extremely disappointed at the options. why do I always have to eat the crap food to make the smart choice?
  • Panini911
    edited November 2018
    the pistachio salmon is over 1000 calories?
    https://www.kegsteakhouse.com/#!/menu-detail/?id=16253&parent=5/#siteContent

yes it came down to the small steak with veggies or the fish. i opted for the fish. some of the options on the online menu were not on the menu in teh restaurant.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member

yes it came down to the small steak with veggies or the fish. i opted for the fish. some of the options on the online menu were not on the menu in teh restaurant.

I often get an appetizer for a meal and add a side of steamed veggies. You could have gotten the shrimp cocktail and the bacon wrapped scallops with a side of veggies for a lower calorie meal.

You can also scrap anything on the plate you don't want. Sometimes I order a sandwich/burger/tacos, pick out the meat and veggies and leave the rest.
  • Panini911
    edited November 2018
    I guess I shoud have said in my original post:

My point is that it sucks to end up with 4 options that one may or not not even like and spend $30+ on a meal that quite frankly sucks. or at best ho-hum.

Cbean08 wrote: »

I often get an appetizer for a meal and add a side of steamed veggies. You could have gotten the shrimp cocktail and the bacon wrapped scallops with a side of veggies for a lower calorie meal.

You can also scrap anything on the plate you don't want. Sometimes I order a sandwich/burger/tacos, pick out the meat and veggies and leave the rest.

I looked at the shrimp but i actually hate cold fish-seafood. so big no to shrimp cocktail. Ditto the fish taco (which i took a small bite of to taste (the fish) and it was not something i would eat).' I looked at the apps (which I have done in the past, ordered veggies and an app) but most were very high calorie (more than a meal) or things i do not eat.

And I have ZERO ability to "leave things on the plate" unless i actually don't like to eat them. Obviously something i need to work on but i cannot stare at good food for 20minutes and maintain enough self control fro all the seconds in the 20mins. Best to ask they leave it off (which is what I did) and yes obviously request htey take away my plate.

There was already the issue of having to ignore the four baskets of bread that came to the table (and while I didn't want any, the others at the table did so saying no bread on table not an option). and again when you end up waiting an hour for your food and stare at the bread that is a very long time to repeat self control.

My point is that the experience sucks.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I'd be annoyed to spend $30 on a ho-hum meal. That's perfectly understandable. Maybe viewing these outings as a quality time with friends exercise more than a food-centric event would help.

Don't feel pressured to order a full course meal every time. If nothing appeals to you, have something small (an app or soup a'la carte) and enjoy the conversation, if you can. (Sorry if this is more unsolicited advice. Just ranting us ok too :flowerforyou: )
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited November 2018

My point is that it sucks to end up with 4 options that one may or not not even like and spend $30+ on a meal that quite frankly sucks. or at best ho-hum.

I looked at the shrimp but i actually hate cold fish-seafood. so big no to shrimp cocktail. Ditto the fish taco (which i took a small bite of to taste (the fish) and it was not something i would eat).' I looked at the apps (which I have done in the past, ordered veggies and an app) but most were very high calorie (more than a meal) or things i do not eat.

And I have ZERO ability to "leave things on the plate" unless i actually don't like to eat them. Obviously something i need to work on but i cannot stare at good food for 20minutes and maintain enough self control fro all the seconds in the 20mins. Best to ask they leave it off (which is what I did) and yes obviously request htey take away my plate.

There was already the issue of having to ignore the four baskets of bread that came to the table (and while I didn't want any, the others at the table did so saying no bread on table not an option). and again when you end up waiting an hour for your food and stare at the bread that is a very long time to repeat self control.

Hiya @Panini911 i think it all depends what restaurant you go to. Next time - ask your friends to go to your choice of place!

I first saw the thread title and I was like nooo Eating out is awesome! Lol sorry you had a 💩 experience. I do think it can be a fun and relaxing experience. Hope your next trip to a restaurant is more satisfying.

I probably eat out 3-4 times a week minimum. I tend to frequent places that have more variety and fresh food. I’m around a lot of options- If I’m meeting a friend at a pub style place - I know I’ll be the one having a club soda and probably some charcuterie with crudité -again depends on the place.
    (I had great deviled eggs yesterday!)

I don’t know the restaurant the Keg - but sounds like made a great choice with a great meal of fish and veggies. Good choice staying on point!
    Yeah- it can get expensive, so hopefully next time you have something you enjoy that’s within your dietary preferences.

Cheers,
    M
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Can you just go for a long run or exercise to make up for the calories and pick something you enjoy?
  • Panini911
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Can you just go for a long run or exercise to make up for the calories and pick something you enjoy?

as i stated i had already gone out for my splurge brunch the day before and that was after a few days of halloween candy. at some point i want to be able to have a decent meal at a restaurrant WITHOUT having to go over (and yes I was careful ALL DAY ot leave as many cals for dinner).

I cannot run due to an injury. I do exercise but i am already at the limit of what i can do exercise-wise while i recover.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    So, honestly, it's just a lack of self control. If you don't start to force yourself to learn to leave food, you won't get used to it. Practice. If you can't do it by yourself then have someone help you. Find a friend or a family member you trust and tell them you're working on building healthier habits with food and you need to learn to leave food behind. Give them the power to remind you not to eat it all and to send the plate away when you are done.

Challenges
    1. order an entree, eat some of everything, leave half on the plate
    2. order an entree, eat 2 parts of the entree, leave the rest behind, completely untouched
    3. order 2 small plates, each 1/2 of each, leave the rest
    4. order an entree to share with someone, eat your portion. order a dessert, take 2 bites and leave the rest

I don't stress about eating out because I have no problem eating part of a huge plate and letting the restaurant throw away the rest. No matter where I go, I can find something that has an item that I like. It makes eating out fun and I can focus on the social aspect and not the food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

as i stated i had already gone out for my splurge brunch the day before and that was after a few days of halloween candy. at some point i want to be able to have a decent meal at a restaurrant WITHOUT having to go over (and yes I was careful ALL DAY ot leave as many cals for dinner).

I cannot run due to an injury. I do exercise but i am already at the limit of what i can do exercise-wise while i recover.

TBH, depending on your definition of 'decent', that's probably never going to happen unless you're going to leave half of it or have meat and a side salad. Good food - like a steak or whatever - from a restaurant is always super calorific.

I'm taking my husband out on Friday for a meal, I'm working on the basis of having my usual calories for my evening meal (800 - 900) plus 500 I have saved from earlier this week and maybe 200 exercise cals. And I expect to go over still. That's why I work to my weekly goal not daily.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member

We tend to want to problem solve here - if you just want to vent you need to make that very clear :)

Next time, what about getting the high calorie meal you want and bringing half home?
  • bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Went out with family and ended up at The Keg. I didn't think much of it assuming i could find SOMETHING under 700 calories. But there was 1 option that really is not something i enjoy eating (cold appetizer shrimp or appetizer cold tuna taco - i hate cold fish). Even the salads were around that or more WITHOUT protein.

Just frustrating. Glad they have calories on the menus but I long for the day when i don't have to eat a house salad dressing on the side when I go out.

I went over what I wanted but got a decent meal of tuna and vegatables. I skipped the cauliflower rice as I hear those usually have tons of added fat to make them more pleasing to customers to cut a few calories.

The main issue is this wasn't the first meal out that week. The day before i'd gone out on a celebratory meal and splurged. And we just went thru halloween which had a few "oops" moments. ..

I had the same issue, then realized that worrying about calories on a daily basis was not working. Now I just look at caloric intake on a weekly, not daily, basis. This gives me the latitude to occasionally go over my daily limits. Today, 1250 cals, tomorrow, 1400, next day 1000. Smooth averaging.