What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Bike trainer ride today. 1:04:00
    Started with warmup cadences and power outputs, then 3 rounds of descending cadence ladders while holding 170W output. All done at 170W: 2min@ 65-60rpm, 1:30@ 60-65, 1:00 @ 55-60, 1:30 @ 60-65, 2min @ 65-70, then 4 min at higher cadence recovery.

Hilly ride (3:30:00) and short brick run(30:00) planned for tomorrow with a couple friends who are good climbers.

This will be the last weekend of training before starting 9 weeks of higher volume leading leading to the race. Only 79 days to race day.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I dived out of Brighton.
    The first dive was the TR Thompson, a First World War wreck. It was 33 minutes at 31 metres.

The dive was very dark, possibly due to the miserable weather. (It was raining, with no break in the clouds.) The visibility was actually pretty good, at maybe 5 metres.

The wreck was hard to see due to all the fish on it! (There were conger, wrasse, blennies, pollock, sea bass, and crab, as well as much more.)

The second dive was a gentle drift, 56 minutes at 12 metres. It was very nice, auburn with loads of life.

My surface air consumption taste was around 15 litres a minute, which is good, particularly as it is a new twin-set, and my drysuit properly flooded, so I was freezing at the end.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    I think it's gonna just be the 7k-ish row, in bow of the quad, today.

We dropped a new person (from this year's learn-to-row class) into the lineup (in 2 seat, right in front of me, so I could nag her if needed 😉). She did great, even as we worked up to our normal rating (strokes per minute)! We did a couple of drills at the start to reinforce synchronization (since the class gets people out of multi-rower boats as quickly as possible), then things went fine. Even some stretches of eyes-closed rowing went well (everyone in the boat closes their eyes, rows by rhythm/feel . . .except me, because I'm steering!)
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Had a great time this morning on a beautiful, yet very hilly bike ride along the lower Ct River. Plan called for 3.5 hr ride and a 30 minute run. Completed that task. 50miles at a 15mph pace, then an easy 3 mile run.

My training partner and I joined a very strong road cyclist to ride one of his hilly routes. This ride was both beautiful and punishing. Pace was brisk, which was ok for the first 15 miles, but once we crossed the river, the hills were steep and frequent. I finally burned out my quads and dismounted halfway up a 12% grade climb. Had to stop, regroup and walk the bike for 30 yards before jumping back into the saddle. Thankfully, the hills lessened after that and I enjoyed some screaming downhill descents that made me forget the climbing pain, lol.

Easy open water swim and long run tomorrow. Looking forward to that recovery.

Couple highlights of the ride were seeing William Gillette's Castle on the Ct river (playwright/actor who played Sherlock Holmes on stage and in silent films) and crossing the Ct river at the mouth(Interstate 95, Baldwin Bridge)

44lx4pdo768d.jpg
    zdzatqcoy1dm.jpg

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,069 Member
    Options
    Walked 10.19 miles this morning in 4 hours and 30 minutes :)
  • getting_stronger1483
    getting_stronger1483 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did this Zumba for weight loss twice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG_Bs0QLc3I&t=235s and I absolutely loved it. I can mute the sound and play my own music over it. The gyms are shut here in Sydney and we're in a hard lockdown. Thank you delta strain of covid19 😭
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Same ol' boring stuff. Around 40 minutes of rowing machine, then 25 more of the Assault Bike. Really easy stuff overall but the back is sore for some reason.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    None. My systemic fatigue crept up in the lack of performance in my last two workouts. Deload week. This meant 4 weeks of productive work, 1 week of meh work and now deload. huzzah
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Recovery paced swim and run today after yesterday's hard bike/run.

1950 yd open water swim in the am. Lake was the perfect temp, with almost no one there except a few triathlon swimmers. Took it easy and enjoyed the swim under ideal conditions. 1:35:00 trail run this afternoon. Knew I'd be carrying lots of fatigue from yesterday, so I took it easy by doing a 9:1 run/walk approach. Still felt whipped at the end, but that's typical after two consecutive long days.

Rest day tomorrow. :)
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Outdoors walk, jump rope, hand weights.
  • drmwc
    Options
    Climbing (Vauxwall East). Not a bad session, I got a few new routes and repeated a lot of old ones.

There is a tough v1 competition route I failed to get last time. I went backwards on it this time - there is a non-intuitive move at the start, and I completely forgot what it was, so always fell off on the second move. (I got to the final move last time.)
  • drmwc
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Whoops, double post
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    All last week I was camping in the mountains, where I got to walk around for 5-10 miles per day at high altitude over rough and steep terrain, simultaneously loving and hating every step, lol.

By comparison, today's foray into the gym to resume weight lifting was easy by comparison. Today was Push Day A, so bench presses, DB presses superset with DB fly's, overhead press, and cable pushdowns.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Shorter, easier workout today. Back is feeling better. Did 50 easy minutes.

My special needs dog, Toby, though, has had better days. Everything was fine early this AM and then he started bleeding badly out the rear. Turns out he had an abscessed anal gland, really painful. No warning signs at all. Just boom. Had to rush him to the vet this AM and he's been whimpering, crying since we got him home. I feel awful for him. All you can do is give him the meds and hot compresses to ease the pain for a day or two.

I actually think I handle pain myself better than I do with my pups. That destroys me when they are in pain.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    The usual 7k rowing bow in the quad this AM.

Rain mostly held off until after the row (just a light mist sometimes during), which was good. I skipped the usual post-row walk, though, between that rain and a tight schedule.

Heading over to supervise open rowing for the rowing club tonight, if it doesn't storm again. That's not really exercise, just some boat carrying and stuff.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    First week of remaining IM build started today. 61 minute trainer ride, with main set being 3x12 minutes at Sweet Spot output (190w) w/1min recovery.

45 minute minimum form pace run on schedule for tonight. Done by focusing on run posture & cadence while maintaining slowest possible pace. Intent is to build muscle memory/habit for running with good form when energy is depleted late in a session or race.
  • Djproulx
    Options

My special needs dog, Toby, though, has had better days. Everything was fine early this AM and then he started bleeding badly out the rear. Turns out he had an abscessed anal gland, really painful. No warning signs at all. Just boom. Had to rush him to the vet this AM and he's been whimpering, crying since we got him home. I feel awful for him. All you can do is give him the meds and hot compresses to ease the pain for a day or two.

I actually think I handle pain myself better than I do with my pups. That destroys me when they are in pain.

Oh boy, that's tough to hear. Hope Toby is recovering well. I"m the same way with our two Labradors. They are highly active field dogs who seem to ignore most dings and scrapes. So when they show pain, I really worry.

BTW: Purewave Gen II arrived this week. So far, very happy with it, though I may have to negotiate with my wife for usage. ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Oh boy, that's tough to hear. Hope Toby is recovering well. I"m the same way with our two Labradors. They are highly active field dogs who seem to ignore most dings and scrapes. So when they show pain, I really worry.

BTW: Purewave Gen II arrived this week. So far, very happy with it, though I may have to negotiate with my wife for usage. ;)

I'm glad you like it so far! Don't leave it unplugged! That's what I really get it for by the Mrs.

Toby is doing MUCH improved today. More his happy self. I've lost 3 dogs in the past and constantly tell myself I won't get as close to the others. Never works out for some reason! Maybe it's because Toby is a special needs guy with a badly deformed (but functioning) leg. He's pretty much glued to my side every minute of every day that I'm home, including pushed up against me all night long in bed. It was just pathetic yesterday all day. Toby would whimper and then my two sibling Great Pyr mixes, who adore him, would start crying with him. Sweet but so sad!

Back is feeling a bit better but I played it cautious today. Did 16 two minute intervals w/ one minute rests -- first half on the LateralX and the next 8 on the AD Pro. Got up to a bit over 85% max HR but not a lot higher. Was a nice workout and not hard on the back.

Deciding if I want to lift tonight at Planet Fitness or not. It's my thoracic area that's hurting. Usually, I'm OK if I don't pick up heavy weights and nothing overhead. Thinking about going and doing leg presses and pullups mostly (hanging actually helps my back), along with a lot of chest work. Plus, it's right next to the Chiropractor, which I could use tonight. If I go, I'll use a ton of discretion. I'm fairly smart now about how I workout. Ironically, I think I hurt it moving sandbags out of the umbrella in the backyard, not working out. Trying to help the guys doing my pool deck renovation, getting stuff out of their way.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Ended up lifting last night. First time back in a gym in well over a year. Lots of machines that I missed. Back extensions being one of the top ones. Worked a ton on legs, chest, shoulders and core. Then 1000m row just to cool down.

Visited my chiropractor as well before.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Tues & Wed - 6 mile run each day, yesterday was easy pace, today was faster.