What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Didn't do my Elliptical yesterday(cleaned to get ready for baking for Thanksgiving) but did 223 minutes on my Elliptical today for just over 15 miles. And plan to do the Elliptical again tomorrow AM before a dentist appointment and pie making afterwards.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Back to the rowing machine, in 3 x (2k on, 2'off) format, with the usual row in/out in the "off". Aimed for 2:36ish pace, averaged 2:36.1 and 19spm during the pieces, HR topped out at 140, just under 70% reserve, the majority Z3 as intended. 6826m total, including the so-called off bits.

Took a page from Mike's playbook, rowed it feet out (i.e. not strapped down). I haven't done that in quite a while, and was pleased that it went well. It did highlight that I've gotten a little sloppy about getting full-length arms/body right out of the finish, before the slide, so I worked on that a little . . . but at least I didn't fall backward or anything really embarrassing. 😆
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Strength work this morning. The usual core work, mountain climber pushups, etc, then kettlebells for RDL's, gorilla rows, etc.

I asked my trainer to add Turkish Get Ups as a regular movement in the gym each week, since they engage and strengthen so many muscle groups that are used for swim/bike/run. I forgot how challenging this movement can be if not practiced in a while. I'm after resiliency as well as increased speed next season, so these should help.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Back to the rowing machine, in 3 x (2k on, 2'off) format, with the usual row in/out in the "off". Aimed for 2:36ish pace, averaged 2:36.1 and 19spm during the pieces, HR topped out at 140, just under 70% reserve, the majority Z3 as intended. 6826m total, including the so-called off bits.

Took a page from Mike's playbook, rowed it feet out (i.e. not strapped down). I haven't done that in quite a while, and was pleased that it went well. It did highlight that I've gotten a little sloppy about getting full-length arms/body right out of the finish, before the slide, so I worked on that a little . . . but at least I didn't fall backward or anything really embarrassing. 😆

Nice work Ann! And your SS paces are similar to mine unstrapped. It was quite humbling for me to go back and do unstrapped work. I'm already really unbalanced with my crappy knee and left shoulder (bad collarbone break that never got diagnosed correctly playing HS football and healed improperly), so doing this helps me have some semblance of at least correct order with legs, core, hands, hands core legs. I lean too far back and sometimes sit there wasting momentum. And I nearly did fall off first time going back to it.

@Djproulx -- turkish getups are badass. I used to do them all the time. I mostly, out of sheer laziness, just do the first part of them now for the abs without the standing. To much form/technique for me to want to do the entire thing and not screw up my shoulder!
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    100 Skier
    50 Pushups
    15 Pull-ups
    50 Crunches
    35 Choppers (each side)

12/10/8
    Seated Mil Press
    Wide Grip In Rear Delt (low pulley)
    Seated Arnold's
    Seated Laterals (lean fwd slightly)
    15 Pull-ups
    Rope 2 Face Kneeling
    Front Raises
    Armpit Row
    Dbell Snatch, no legs
    30 Dips

40oz to Freedom
    Situps/ Hip Lifts/ Frog X/ Twists/ Flutters/ J Knives/ Rower/ Heel Tape/ Supine Bike/ Leg Tucks

935 Total Reps
  • AnnPT77
    edited November 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Nice work Ann! And your SS paces are similar to mine unstrapped. It was quite humbling for me to go back and do unstrapped work. I'm already really unbalanced with my crappy knee and left shoulder (bad collarbone break that never got diagnosed correctly playing HS football and healed improperly), so doing this helps me have some semblance of at least correct order with legs, core, hands, hands core legs. I lean too far back and sometimes sit there wasting momentum. And I nearly did fall off first time going back to it.

First time I rowed feet-out in boat (a double), I literally fell over backward on the first stroke . . . into the lap of a very surprised collegiate varsity rower who was behind me in bow. 🤣 She was nice about it, thankfully.

I don't know how well I'd do, if I went hard with feet out on the erg. Maybe I'll try it when it fits within my workout objectives.

IME, boats "punish" the things that make rowing feet-out on the machine challenging, they just do it in different ways. (Most are speed penalties of various types, but that's not all.) Maybe rowing boats regularly helps create some useful habits, I dunno.

My double, the boat I probably row the most, is a pretty old Pocock (1999, I think?). The boat's shoes, which are very large (probably around men's 12 US?) have laces.

I never tie my shoes in the double (or other boats, out of habit). That probably has a helpful "feet semi out" effect on most of my rowing - I don't have as big a habit of relying on the shoe for balance, or to pull against on the recovery, etc.: There's some but not a lot of strap-like contribution from the untied huge shoe.

(Footnote (heh) for those not familiar with rowing shells: The modern boats, for safety, have shoes with a velcro strap across the instep, and a length of cord connecting the two straps, so one can pull the cord if necessary to get loose when upside-down in the water. Safety is why I don't tie my shoes. The shoes are durably attached to the boats, basically screwed in. They look much like regular athletic shoes/trainers, just with some specialized tweaks for the purpose. Some boats have "clogs" instead, but this is a more low-end detail - they're basically a shaped foot-cup with straps across the foot. Better boats have shoes, generally.)

FWIW, I don't wear shoes on the erg at home (or races), just socks. That's eccentric, IME.
    @Djproulx -- turkish getups are badass. I used to do them all the time. I mostly, out of sheer laziness, just do the first part of them now for the abs without the standing. To much form/technique for me to want to do the entire thing and not screw up my shoulder!

Yes, I admire that too, @Djproulx: I've put TGU in my "can't do" category, basing that on knee issues during the transition to standing . . . but I'm possibly just "don't wanna" and am lying to myself. 😉 In general, I admire the way you work at the things you feel you're less good at: That isn't a super common trait, I think, and its reverse is definitely among my character faults, wrt some exercises I don't enjoy. 🙄
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Windy day, but clear and warm (60), so I rode 19.26 miles @ 14.0 mph average. 5 of the first 6 miles were uphill into the wind ( yes, Maynard... uphill, thru the snow, both ways 😁), but there was a long downhill with the wind that made up for it!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    Today's workout was strength training:
    2 sets step-ups
    2 sets Bulgarian split squats
    3 sets barbell bench press
    2 sets barbell shoulder press
    2 sets dumbell flys
    3 sets hanging knee raises
    2 sets front raises
    2 sets cable triceps pushdown
    Jelly for arms after that 😁
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    My Elliptical today had to be shortened from my usual straight through in the AM, d/t a routine dentist appointment. So i did 121 minutes this AM for 8 miles and 120 minutes at 5 for 8.34 miles. Hopefully my scale shows a drop has I've been having upticks for no reason I can fathom.
  • AnnPT77
    Stationary bike day again, in the off-season row/bike alternation (Le Sigh). A fake 10k going nowhere, 3' cool down, playing games on my phone throughout. Shooting for moderate/Z3, but did wander up in to Z4 for 4:34 of the 29:06 total. Mostly (16:40) Z3, though. HR peaked at 155, 1 bpm over 220-age estimate, really around 80% reserve.

Intention as of now is to stay with just row/bike alternation at moderate intensity for at least a couple more weeks, re-evaluate my energy level and will power at that point. Expecting to add just a little more volume soon, before that. Usually sometime in off-season, I add some strength and/or core work, but sometimes not until January doldrums, alongside re-reduced row/bike. We'll see. In my world these days, it's mostly supposed to be fun, and stay that way.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    100 Fwd Jump Rope
    30 Hand Release Push-ups
    30 Dbell Swing
    40 Choppers each side
    50 Mtn Climbers

12/10/8
    Shrugs
    Lat pulls Grip In, Iso pull each side
    Rev Grip Bent Over Row (use barbell not Smith)
    Dbell Row
    50 Push-ups
    V Bar Pulldowns
    Meadow Rows
    Supine Dbell PullOvers
    Seated Wide Grip Row
    15 Pull-ups

Colt 45
    Crunches/ Flutter Kicks/ Obliques/ Rev Crunches/ Cable Crunches/ Knee Tucks/ Supine Bike/ Twists/ Iso Over Dbell

976 Total Reps
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Morning ride - 17.37 miles @ 13.6 mph avg. Another windy day, but I was planning to take it easier today... the last two days I pushed hard, so the legs needed a bit of a break.
  • Lietchi
    I had to drag myself to my gym-basement today, I had to prepare dinner today so no time to exercise beforehand (after dinner, I always find it hard to motivate myself).

So a short one today: 4.5km in 30min37, starting at 8.2kph and gradually building up to 10kph.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Rest day today, though I walked around the yard wearing the backpack leaf blower for several hours. :)

Tomorrow I'll fly to Denver, then drive east to North Platte, Nebraska for eleven days. I'm going to stay with my son and see his new waterfowl hunting operation. I'm hoping to get in some trail running while I"m out there, in addition to hunting ducks and geese.
  • AnnPT77
    Out of my calendar pattern, stationary bike again. Pretty close to exactly the same as yesterday, in that it was a theoretical 10k+3' CD, taking about 29 minutes, so identical average watts within seconds of same duration, at least on the 10k body of the workout (1W difference on the CD).

Yesterday, average heart rate 133, max 155, 15% Z4, 85% Z3 (57%) and Z2-1(26%).
    Today, average heart rate 126, max 138, entirely Z3 (61%) and Z2-1(35%).
    (Why not 100% total? Always some < 91 bpm in there, effectively no zone according to Garmin.)

Why? Well, probably because bodies are weird. Also mostly because I pushed the intensity a little more at the early stages today (not much, no stress), so didn't need to push as hard at the end (harder) as yesterday, to hit the average watts I wanted because of . . . I dunno, vanity? Small issue, given the goal of moderate (Z3) workouts both times, and today's more effective in goal accomplishment terms. Individual psychology is weird, too. 😆

FWIW, Garmin estimated close calories, 190 yesterday, 175 today. Maybe should be closer, but that's plenty close enough.

I find the calorie estimating math-y stuff amusing, i.e. the comparison of different estimating methods.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Well I went Forrest Gump today. Usually my bigger work out of the week. I took off from the house for a quick lunch time run. Thought 4 maybe 5 miles. Even though winds were strong and my leg/thigh was being ornery I just couldn’t stop.

gx74agvgfgrq.jpeg

I did pay attention to the leg and decided no half marathon today. 10 seemed like a nice number. Was only a third of a mile from the house. So happy enough with what I managed to get done. You all have a great Thanksgiving with your family and friends.
  • AnnPT77
    8167 rowing machine meters, weirdly broken up: 2k, 2' off (i.e., drink & row in/out), 1k, 2' CD, run upstairs to flip the Thanksgiving oven-fried potatoes, 2 x (2k on, 2' off/CD).

All meter pieces within tenths of target 2:36 pace to keep it Z3 and below, which worked out well: Peak at 141bpm, 84% of time Z3, rest below.
  • Lietchi
    Long day working from home, with a long-ish run to unwind before dinner: 8.5km in 1hr01min13. Mostly Z3 and below, just 40 seconds in Z4.