What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 9.92 miles zones 2, 3 & 4 today.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Hardish 2K interval set today out on the deck on the Concept2 Rower. I usually don't row in wind like today, but went for it. Gusts up to around 35 MPH today. Just set the Drag Factor really low and did it unstrapped.

2K X 3 with 2 minutes rest. Average pace ended up around 2:10. Kept them all pretty tight together in time, so it was nice not flying and dying. Roughly 400 calories in a little over 30 minutes. HR was dropping from 160s to under 120 within a minute or so, so that was good to see. And I'm feeling great now that I'm taking allergy pills daily. I never honestly knew allergies could make you feel that miserable (says the guy who's severely allergic to grass and gluten!).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,997 Member
    Options
    OHP 2x5
    Incline Bench 3x10
    DB Lateral Raise 3x10

Ran into an old lifting buddy who commented it was good to see me again, and that I'd slimmed down. Made me smile to hear.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Biking on the trails, plus a little extra bike-meandering in the park and in suburbs near the trail or on the road home, totaling just over 16 miles, all easy pace. It was actually over 80F (27C) here today, after some days last week where it got down to the 20s (around -7C) overnight. Michigan is weird in the shoulder seasons.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thursday
    Climbing, a slightly ridiculous 3.25 session. This started well; I got two v4s quite early. I made good progress on a v5, getting to the final hold but falling at the top. I then got pumped, and probably should have left an hour earlier. I was a bit broken by the end.
  • StanDandyLiver
    StanDandyLiver Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Warm up, 1km rowing machine at 1:55 pace. Barbell circuit (5 rounds, 10 reps each of Overhead Press, Back Squat, Bent Over Row, Deadlift; @40kg). 1.5 mile incline treadmill walk. 500m swimming. Lie down, exhausted, but satisfied.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Squat 2x5
    Bench 2x5
    Preacher Curl 3x10

Now for a lazy, not-leave-the-house, preferably not-leave-the-bed weekend!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hot weather (60s F at the time, 80s later) and almost no wind, and lucky us (me) - we had a quad. So we rowed, the usual bridge to bridge, which was about 7k. Glorious!

Next week looks bad weather-wise, so not sure yet whether I'm doing indoor workouts again . . . or sulking. Tomorrow has a great weather forecast, but there's a high school regatta on our river, so no row for me. Maybe a bike ride - we'll see.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Two days ago was in the 80's...last night we got 3 inches of snow...
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    We had a fun ride this morning, even though it was cut short by a bridge closure that knocked about four miles off our route. The bad news is this closure limits access to two other roads we love to ride.

As I suspected, our newest group member is a real "torture sister", having led bike shop rides for a few years as well as cycling in Europe. Today's ride covered 36 miles at 17.2mph instead of the advertised 16mph social pace. This pace was a bit of a push for me early in the season. It will get better (not easier) as I shed weight.

My wife and I are helping to staff an aid station for our local 50k Trail race this afternoon. Will see lots of friends volunteering or racing. Running three 11 mile loops of steep trails and rock scrambles is way beyond my ability and interest, but fun to watch.

• StanDandyLiver
    StanDandyLiver Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wasn't a bad session today, considering I was planning on taking it easy.
    Elliptical machine, 20 minutes. I start with the resistance on maximum (20) and the incline on zero. Every minute I decrease the resistance by one point and increase the incline by one point. This routine starts off horrendous, gets progressively easier in the middle, and then becomes horrendous again towards the end for a whole different reason.
    Pull ups and dips superset. Three rounds of [8 neutral grip pull-ups, 8 narrow grip dips, 8 wide grip pull-ups, 8 wide grip dips].
    1.5 mile incline treadmill walk. 10% incline, at 3.5mph.
    0.5km swim, in about 25 min.
    20 min in the sauna.
    Feeling good, albeit tired.
    Recovery = sit and veg out on the sofa for the rest of the day.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Two days ago was in the 80's...last night we got 3 inches of snow...

I don't recall where you are, but that's what it's been like here, too, lately (mid-Michigan). It was in the 20s F overnight within the last couple of weeks, 80s during the day recently (probably 60s most nights), then forecast is back below freezing at night this coming week, possible snow on Monday.

At least I got a little bit of this good stuff in this week:
    That's me (in orange shirt and cap, closest to the camera), with 2 other 60-somethings in stern 3, on Friday - . . . though our bow rower/photographer is a mere child of 43. ;) So nice to be back on the river with rowing buddies!
    ou1osqmsnxc7.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Afterthought: Didn't check in yesterday. Extra short bike ride on the paved trails, only 11.6 miles . . . there was a dark cloud bank heading our way, and I started to hear some distant thunder rumbles, so I headed toward home rather than lengthening my loop.

Arrived home just briefly before the rain started, but had time to finish a quick (urgent timing) pruning of a rank of potentilla shrubs before I got totally soaked. :D
  • nossmf
    Options
    @annpt77, I live in central Colorado.

Continuing my "return to lifting" program, FINALLY reaching weights heavy enough to feel they qualify as actual "weightlifting."

Bench Press 3x5
    Squat 3x5
    Cable Pushdown 3x8

Think my body's finally starting to get used to the creatine. The first two weeks taking it I had a raging thirst I couldn't slake no matter how much I drank (was pushing 3 liters per day). But the last couple days I've felt more normal. Will continue to drink heavily (as evidenced by the number of trips to the men's room), but perhaps my weight will stabilize somewhat and I can measure muscle gain rather than water weight (which is up 5 pounds since I started taking the creatine).

Removing my wedding ring was a bit of a struggle this morning before lifting, a sign I may have to return to using the gloves going forward, which is both a shame and a relief, as I liked the freedom of lifting without the gloves, but I'm learning I don't have the calluses needed to do it comfortably yet.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Switched my rest day to Sunday, since I was very fatigued and just didn't have the energy for a long run. I walked for an hour instead and left the swimming for today.

Today's pool workout was 1800 yds, including a main set of 5 x100's on 15sec recovery, right into a 1x500yd swim to help build endurance.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Tweaked my lower back on Friday. Was so sore I could barely walk. Just bent over wrong (at the waist). Guessing the harder row on Thursday contributed to it, though I did it unstrapped and kind of hard to be terrible at form when you're unstrapped. IDK, but it's not too terrible.

Went to the chiropractor twice already. It's already 70% better. Good enough today to get a lift in (just no heavy weights overhead or heavy legs). Did work chest, shoulders and abs. Did air squats and bridges (no weights for now) for the legs.

Would do cardio but have a contractor here right now. We'll see if I can fit one in this afternoon.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Tweaked my lower back on Friday. Was so sore I could barely walk. Just bent over wrong (at the waist). Guessing the harder row on Thursday contributed to it, though I did it unstrapped and kind of hard to be terrible at form when you're unstrapped. IDK, but it's not too terrible.

Went to the chiropractor twice already. It's already 70% better. Good enough today to get a lift in (just no heavy weights overhead or heavy legs). Did work chest, shoulders and abs. Did air squats and bridges (no weights for now) for the legs.

Would do cardio but have a contractor here right now. We'll see if I can fit one in this afternoon.

I'm glad to hear you're seeing quick improvement!

Still, I don't really agree with the bolded, in the abstract. Back injuries are among the most common injuries for rowers, of course - most often lumbar spine.

I know you're an experienced rower, so not saying any of this applies to you, but lumbar flexion is one potential key cause of back injury in rowing. That can happen with fatigue, from tight hammies, from core instability, or lots of other root causes, and can be aggravated by simple over-use. Any of those are as probable feet-out (a.k.a. unstrapped) as when tied in.

Again, not probably your case given your experience/skill, but if someone has a tendency to take the recovery actively (pull themselves back up up the slide with their foot straps) rather than relaxing and letting momentum and the slide angle bring the catch to them, I think rowing feet out could even introduce some extra risk. In the rowing literature, one of the benefits cited for feet-out drills is emphasizing core engagement. Seems like any core deficiency during feet-out rowing could therefore potentially increase injury risk.

The quick, smooth arms-away + hip-hinge body over at the turnaround - which avoids checking the boat and and can even provide a little bow-ward energy in boats - contributes to the correct body-mechanics setup for the next drive. If there's a habitual tendency to pull the body into the recovery by the feet, but feet aren't tied in, that setup can be compromised, maybe increasing risk of sub-ideal core engagement and spine position when power's applied on the next drive. (But I'm speculating a little. Details of technique matter.)

I don't see feet-out as protective against common back injuries, except to the extent that it may reduce power. (IMO hugely low power isn't inherent feet-out, rather technique dependent. I think that's part of why we drill it.) It doesn't take much raw power to cause a back injury if there's inappropriate spinal flexion: Erector spinae are pretty small, they need to work synergistically to avoid overloading the vertebral structure, blah blah blah.

Again, not saying any of that applies to you, just speaking in the abstract, knowing we sometimes get people here who are newer to rowing. I wouldn't want them to assume rowing feet out is somehow a safety valve - which I don't think is what you intended to be saying at all!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Snowed here today, as forecast, along with a bitter wind. After last week's taste of outdoor biking and rowing, it took some self-persuasion, but I got on the stationary bike for an easy hour's ride.