1200 calories

Currently reading mixed reviews on the 1200 calories diet and I’m fairly new to all this, I’m reaching my target of 1200 calories each day, however there are some days I’m left with calories left over, if I ate chocolate/biscuits/crisps ect within the calorie range will I still see a loss
Thanks

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Yes, technically you can eat whatever you want and as long as you are in a calorie deficit (so eating fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight) you will lose weight.

I eat 1200-1300 calories a day. But I’m also only 5’ and have 40 more pounds left to lose. That’s a very low calorie range for someone who isn’t a very short female. And it might not be sustainable in the long-term. How many calories you eat should be based on some “1200 calorie diet” it needs to be based on your height, weight, activity level, and weight loss goals. If you put your info into MFP it will give you an appropriate calorie goal for you specifically.
  • besmith11
    besmith11 Posts: 106 Member
    @shadow2soul - I have been looking for the sustainability numbers you posted so thank you! Are they here somewhere on MFP?
  • maylingsmom
    maylingsmom Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2018
  • maylingsmom
    maylingsmom Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2018
    oops
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2018
    besmith11 wrote: »
    @shadow2soul - I have been looking for the sustainability numbers you posted so thank you! Are they here somewhere on MFP?

There is actually 2 different versions floating around, but they aren't much different honestly.

Along with the thread above they are mentioned:
    Rate of Loss Guidelines, Can Someone Repost?
    Best Rate of Loss?
    Calorie Deficit

It usually gets brought up when someone mentions a 1200 calorie goal since it is the lowest MFP will give someone. Or when someone mentions expecting 2lbs per week loss with a 1200 calorie goal, but they aren't losing that fast.
  • tinovillaro
    tinovillaro Posts: 23 Member
    I tried it for a week, lost about a pound per day eating cabbage and proteins, drinking 1 gallon of water. My eating schedule was 16:8 intermittent fasting and 30 mins of walking daily.

Then my appetite came back with a vengeance. Not sustainable long term IMO.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    I have averaged 1200 calories since April 20. I do swing my calories--almost like a 5:2 IF, but when looking at my weekly totals I have been over for the week only three times--and two of those were planned diet breaks on maintenance. IF I my goal would be in the healthy range at the tippy top I would have 1340 cal per day. At 1200 calories MFP says I lose 0.6 pounds a week (and that seems pretty true). So yes--it seems to be sustainable for long term if you plan you meals to lose weight. I am short, female and not older--but really old. I did pick my goal weight in the overweight range (and I'm there!!) because I looked at maintenance calories, looked at my exercise calories and picked a level that I can be happy with.
    So yes--I have done 1200 for 7 months---yes sometimes I am below--sometimes above but my weekly average is 1200. No you will not starve and then have to binge if you plan what you eat carefully.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I have averaged 1200 calories since April 20. I do swing my calories--almost like a 5:2 IF, but when looking at my weekly totals I have been over for the week only three times--and two of those were planned diet breaks on maintenance. IF I my goal would be in the healthy range at the tippy top I would have 1340 cal per day. At 1200 calories MFP says I lose 0.6 pounds a week (and that seems pretty true). So yes--it seems to be sustainable for long term if you plan you meals to lose weight. I am short, female and not older--but really old. I did pick my goal weight in the overweight range (and I'm there!!) because I looked at maintenance calories, looked at my exercise calories and picked a level that I can be happy with.
    So yes--I have done 1200 for 7 months---yes sometimes I am below--sometimes above but my weekly average is 1200. No you will not starve and then have to binge if you plan what you eat carefully.

The second bolded statement is true only because the first bolded statement is true. For the majority of healthy women, and for all healthy men, calorie needs are greater than 1200 and eating that little is probably not sustainable for long. No matter how well you plan your meals, too few calories is too few calories. However if you are a short older woman close to the healthy weight range, your calorie needs may be lower and therefore you could eat 1200 cals sustainably.
  • bayhans
    bayhans Posts: 25 Member
    @shadow2soul Very helpful post! Thank you :smile: