Eating excercise calories-macros

Options
Do you eat your excercise calories? And what are your fitness goals? (Bulking/cutting/maintaining Etc) I’m counting macros, trying to build
Muscle while simultaneously burning fat. Any advice or tips in regards to eating excercise calories? Yay or nay?

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I usually undershoot exercise calories but not by a lot. Long term fitness goals are to increase muscle strength through full body compound lifting and cardiac fitness through interval training (not HIIT but regular intervals) Reducing fat is a secondary goal which I deal with through setting a small deficit ~ 700-800 calories a week (so some days I am at maintenance and some days slightly under). My protein goal is ~125 g/day, I aim for 40-50 g fat though sometimes I exceed that, and fill the rest in with carbs. MFP sets all of that as percentages but I go for the hard #s.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I eat them. Every single one regardless of my goal. MFP gives me a goal that doesn’t take them into account so the result of not eating them would be:

If trying to cut -> creating a larger than intended deficit, I would be hangry, and I could possibly risk more lean body mass loss than I would have had

If trying to maintain-> it would actually end up putting me in a deficit and causing weight loss

If trying to bulk -> I would likely end up just maintaining.

I lost over 100lbs while eating them. I do use a food scale and try to do my best to make sure I am using correct entries from the database (I say this because an inaccurate food log will impact how many of those exercise calories you can eat....I mean you will still be eating them, but might be unaware that you already consumed some).

I personally like to balance weekly. That way when I go out with friends or family, I can have things I wouldn’t typically eat or drink.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I eat them. Every single one regardless of my goal. MFP gives me a goal that doesn’t take them into account so the result of not eating them would be:

If trying to cut -> creating a larger than intended deficit, I would be hangry, and I could possibly risk more lean body mass loss than I would have had

If trying to maintain-> it would actually end up putting me in a deficit and causing weight loss

If trying to bulk -> I would likely end up just maintaining.

I lost over 100lbs while eating them. I do use a food scale and try to do my best to make sure I am using correct entries from the database (I say this because an inaccurate food log will impact how many of those exercise calories you can eat....I mean you will still be eating them, but might be unaware that you already consumed some).

I personally like to balance weekly. That way when I go out with friends or family, I can have things I wouldn’t typically eat or drink.

All of this ^^^^ except I didn't have as much to lose.

I don't worry about the MFP macro percentages as they vary when exercise cals are added.
    Instead I work with 0.8- 1g protein per lbs lbm.
    If I needed to be aware of my fat intake I would ensure 0.35g per lbs lbm.
    Carbs, and fibre (never had a problem with getting enough), I let fall where they may.

I am recomp-decomp-maintaining at the moment. (Aka, life has got in the way of consistency)

Cheers, h.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Are you already at a healthy (but possibly not ideal for your taste) weight?

If so, there's a lot of good info in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat